What car do you regret buying?

Stang Lover

Established Member
I was thinking about this the other day and had this discussion with one of my friends. What car(s) do you regret buying?

I regret buying an 04 CTS-V back in March that I sold my Mach 1 to buy. That freaking car cost me so much money that I will never get back. It started with a coolant leak which came out to be the passenger head not seated properly because of stripped thread holes to hold them down properly. Started with a new water pump to t-stat to lower rad hose to just giving up. Eventually I bit the bullet and thought doing a HCI was a good reason to upgrade and fix the problem and what ever else I could see that was a problem. Bought a new radiator because I broke the top plastic hose connector and had to get a time sert kit to fix the head threads in the block. Didn't leak for a good 2 weeks then it started slow again then eventually leaked oil slowly every two weeks. Eventually came to the conclusion that my block was just trashed by the previous owner and I got the crap end of it. I got fed up with the car and sold it and do not regret it. Live and you learn I guess. Car was quick for what it had done.

What cars do you regret buying?

04owmach

Established Member
A 97 cobra I traded a really nice 99 powerstroke for. Easily a 12-15k truck for a 7000 car and like 1500 cash. Dumb dumb dumb. Fun car but lost my ass on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I regret trading my reliable 1990 Integra for a pile of shit 1988 Mustang GT. The car had so many wiring problems it was ridiculous. Because the guy I bought it from didn't know what the hell he was doing trying to MAF swap a Speed Density car. After sinking $600+ in just new sensors, wiring, etc, it still wouldn't run right so I gave up and sold it to a more mechanically inclined friend of mine for $1000 and took a huge loss on it

DarkMach1

Established Member
1985 GT. Huge money pit. I should have stuck to my origina plan after selling the mach1 and getting a Vette.

YJSONLY

Established Member
My first ever truck. A 1986 jeep Comanche it had a 2.8 v6. 4x4. Thing was slow as piss! It took me miles to pass someone. Its 0-60 was calculate in miles not seconds. The only time I passed anyone was when they was broke down on the side of the road. It was sad.... But was my first ever vehicle

thehunterooo

Established Member
1992 Miata, car had so many issues, finally cut loose and took a loss on it after giving up.

I guess a distant second would be a 14 Mustang V6, no V8 and no recaros was a fail but that only lasted a year :)

oldmodman

Established Member
1989 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe. Bought new, ran perfectly and I never had one single problem. It was just to small for what I needed at the time.

Sold it to an exporter that had an order for the exact car I had and he shipped it to Germany. I got exactly what I paid for it including tax and license. it cost absolutely nothing to own it for six months.

likuid_inc

Established Member
1989 Mustang Gt, it was a rust bucket with a loud exhaust. I loved it and dumped crazy money in it rebuilding the 302 motor and then making the interior mint. Just to sell it for my first motorcycle (1989 Suzuki Katana). Didn't take a huge loss but I wish i would have cut my losses sooner. Oh well

Kiohtee

Established Member
My old 1997 Cobra.

It was a great purchase at $6K (Crystal White, black leather interior; car was mint), but after a "motor build" I hated that car sooo much.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I bought an old Carolla once as I was renting a car and looking for something else. I was literally top ending the car to work every day. The transmission lasted 2 weeks, LOL.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
An '04 Dodge Intrepid. Worst piece of junk ever. Immediately after warranty stuff began to fail. Catlytic converters, cam position sensors (eight of the damn things! I learned a whole new to put them on that only took 5 minutes and a wrench because it was such a high failure item! The final one was an aftermarket item, the first available, and it lasted 150K miles!) and so many odds and ends it would take forever to list it all. The driver's side door opener failed. At the end of it all, the dash split in half, diriver's side/passenger's side. Thermostats failed (and that was a bitch of a job!) I got 230K miles out of it, but I had to nurse it along every freaking mile! It's a darn good thing I can do 99% of all my own car repairs because if I had had to pay to get it fixed I would be dead flat bankrupt.

And because it was such a miserable car I will never, ever, give Chrysler another red cent. Even if Jesus himself came down from Heaven and said, "Jim, you can trust them now, take a look at a Dodge." I'd say no thanks.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
'96 Mystic cobra with 16k miles. I was an idiot and bought it sight unseen for the forums for a pretty penny. Apparently someone else's 9/10 is my 6/10. Procharger leaked oil faster than you could fill it so it had to rebuilt. Front bumper was cracked and cost me 1500 to replace and repaint. Car ran like ass and the paint was oxidized to hell. Sold it for what I bought it for and lost the 4K put in it to get it up a standard I sell it for and sleep at night.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
My 87 GT foxbody. Bought it on a whim at 19 and regretted it shortly after. Car would have all kinds of random problems such as an occasional throttle sticking, by that I mean sometimes I'd start it and the throttle would be stuck shut. Would have to stand on the peddle hard before it would "break free" then operate fine for a week or so until it did it again. Changed the oil and they dumped something into it, because after it would smoke like a chimney once up to temp which resulted in a 306 swap. The passenger door never shut perfect and while waiting on a couple parts to finish the engine swap I pulled the door to realign it. That's when I discovered under the ground f/x it had been hit in the side at some point and poorly fixed. Soon as I saw that I threw it up for sale and actually broke even despite it not even running when sold.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
VW Scirocco during my college says in the 80's, piece of crap that needed a spray of starter fluid in the intake to turn it over EVERY time!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
'70 Deuce and a quarter. What a POS. Odometer was turned back at least 50K, probably more like 100K. Was just too young to know.
Been lucky since then, been very damn lucky.

kaz109

Established Member
My wife's 07 Tahoe was a pile of shit and it is looking like her 15 Denali will be the same.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I regret getting rid of my 99 Cobra (really low miles, super clean) for my Trailblazer SS, had so many issues with that truck and wasn't happy with it, and now I'm stuck with a 03 GT because I'm poor.

Users who are viewing this thread