What broke?

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
Hey guys I would appreciate your help with this. A few months ago I had to drive the parents 99 Cobra to work. I got about half a block way, when I realized I forgot something. I stopped and decided to put it in reverse. As I was backing up, all of a sudden the car jerked violently and stalled. I started the Cobra back up and found that I could only put the car in either reverse, 1st, or 2nd and if I let the clutch out all the way the car would stall. I ended up driving around the block with the shifter in neutral and I had to ride the clutch about halfway the entire time to keep it from stalling. I could not drive the car with the shifter in any forward/reverse gear.

There was no broken parts on the street and no fluids leaked. Car starts and idles fine. Stock clutch, flywheel, etc.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Has the car been driven pretty hard? The T45's in 1999 Cobras are fairly fragile transmissions, so it's bound to happen. With the stock shifter, hard shifter can cause shift forks to break, might be what happened in this case.

On a side note, are you still located in LaCrosse? I'm in the Madison area most of the time, nice to see Wisconsin guys posting.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
Sounds like somthing inside the trans broke. Maybe a shift fork.

You guys ever come around Madison to cruise? I thought maybe I was the only new edge n/a cobra around.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
It used to be mine and I cruised in it and had some fun, but always on the street, never at a track. It has a MGW shifter in it. I can't get it into 3rd, 4th, or 5th with the clutch in or out.

Yep I'm still in La Crosse. We have a decent number of good Mustangs here. Never make it to Madison though. We will be at Automotion in the Dells in May.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sounds like somthing inside the trans broke. Maybe a shift fork.

You guys ever come around Madison to cruise? I thought maybe I was the only new edge n/a cobra around.

I'm pretty new to the Madison area, moved here last May and I don't DD the Cobra. Ever head to Quaker Steak and Lube in Middleton on Thursdays? Of the few times I went there last summer, I saw maybe 1 New Edge Mustang GT. Everyone and their brother would show up with C6 Corvettes.

It used to be mine and I cruised in it and had some fun, but always on the street, never at a track. It has a MGW shifter in it. I can't get it into 3rd, 4th, or 5th with the clutch in or out.

Yep I'm still in La Crosse. We have a decent number of good Mustangs here. Never make it to Madison though. We will be at Automotion in the Dells in May.

I will be there too, hopefully it doesn't rain this year. We'll have to find a place to meet up to point and laugh at the imports :beer:

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
Yea. Quaker steak is 2 blocks from my shop. Didn't make it out there at all last summer, my car was apart. There is only a couple of new edges around. Madison is pretty heavy on imports. Wisconsinstreetandtrack.forumotion.com is the local forum we all belong to. Import and domestics.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yea. Quaker steak is 2 blocks from my shop. Didn't make it out there at all last summer, my car was apart. There is only a couple of new edges around. Madison is pretty heavy on imports. Wisconsinstreetandtrack.forumotion.com is the local forum we all belong to. Import and domestics.

Nice, you have a good reason to show up on Thursday then :beer:

Do you have your own shop or work for someone else? I have Mac LTs waiting to go on my car once it gets out of storage but just lost my best source of help/knowledge as my buddy moved away. I will be sure to check out the local forum.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Hey guys I would appreciate your help with this. A few months ago I had to drive the parents 99 Cobra to work. I got about half a block way, when I realized I forgot something. I stopped and decided to put it in reverse. As I was backing up, all of a sudden the car jerked violently and stalled. I started the Cobra back up and found that I could only put the car in either reverse, 1st, or 2nd and if I let the clutch out all the way the car would stall. I ended up driving around the block with the shifter in neutral and I had to ride the clutch about halfway the entire time to keep it from stalling. I could not drive the car with the shifter in any forward/reverse gear.

There was no broken parts on the street and no fluids leaked. Car starts and idles fine. Stock clutch, flywheel, etc.

Yep sounds like somethings wrong inside the transmission. Not sure about riding the clutch to keep the engine running, if it's stuck in a gear it should drive normal after getting started moving.
Just in case everyone missed it, you can't drive in neutral.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
Yep sounds like somethings wrong inside the transmission. Not sure about riding the clutch to keep the engine running, if it's stuck in a gear it should drive normal after getting started moving.
Just in case everyone missed it, you can't drive in neutral.

Lol, yea I thought it was pretty funny and weird at the same time that I was in "neutral" driving around.

Anyone else have any idea based on the symptoms?

For Automotion, we usually park/meet by the trojan Horse in Mount Olympus.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
I'm part owner of the shop. Bennett's Auto Repair is the name of it. 608-831-5933, ask for matt. I could help you out with the lt install. Done quite a few of them. We were all up at mt. olympus last year. We will all be up there again this year. I should have my car running again by then.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I'm part owner of the shop. Bennett's Auto Repair is the name of it. 608-831-5933, ask for matt. I could help you out with the lt install. Done quite a few of them. We were all up at mt. olympus last year. We will all be up there again this year. I should have my car running again by then.

Ok, I'll let you know, thanks. I don't know what my parents plan on doing with the car, but I'll keep you posted.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
nice to hear there are some other cobras in WI, go to school at platteville and Im the only one here with a real car!

Users who are viewing this thread