What are the differences between the t56 and t56 mag?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought a TUET1259, its new and hat the bigger output shaft and yoke, we are putting in the 26 spline input shaft in as well. other than that, what are the internal differences? the mag has a 7800 rpm shift point, but I cant fine anything from tremec on shift points of the 1259. Are there any other upgrades before it gets put in for the 700 rating of the mag? I am aware that this is a tooth drive for the speedo and I can work around that. This is going in my 99 gt convertible with a MMR se1000 4.75 with ported trick flow heads, stage 2 modular headshop cams, rebuilt hp performance twin 57mm turbo kit. It is in my best interest to have a strong transmission and one that withstand the 7800 rpm shift points. I have seen that there are some tremec gurus on here and I would appreciate any advise for a somewhat newbie.
Thanks for your time,
Geoff

nileppezdel77

Established Member
The Magnum is actually a TR6060, so looking at the information related to that transmission vs. the older T56: "The new synchroniser package features triple synchromesh on first and second gears, and double synchromesh on all other gears, including reverse, which has significantly reduced gear shift efforts and shift travel. The reduced shift travel provided by the synchroniser package has also allowed increased space for the use of larger gears, which are stronger to deliver improved torque capacity and gearbox durability. A new single-piece counter shaft also contributes to the greater torque capacity and durability enhancements. Other features of the new TR-6060 transmission include: Reduced friction in the shifter system courtesy of a new cam and anti-friction plunger to control the side load shift detents.
Forward and rearward shift detent grooves are broached on the front of the main-shaft with a spring-loaded anti-friction roller, for more precise control of shift detents and positive shift feel.
Anti-friction ball struts, sintered hubs and fine-pitch splines on all synchronisers for reduced friction between components - delivering improved shift feel and reduced shift efforts.
Wider, two piece gears with machined clutch teeth for more precise gear engagement and reduced potential for gear block-outs." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-6060_transmission)

Seems like the biggest factor with regards to torque capacity would be the physically larger gears.

“Our customers want better shift quality and increased torque capacity,” says Tremec’s Enthusiast Marketing Director Nate Tovey. Tovey says the Shelby’s TR-6060 actually started with a new synchronizer design. The synchro assembly was thinner in the TR-6060 compared to the T56. This narrower assembly allowed Tremec to bolster the transmission’s strength.

Thanks to the assembly’s more compact design, the company was able to add surface area to the gears and synchronizers, which in turn added strength. The added strength allowed Tremec to offer manufacturers more torque capacity when compared to the original T56. That’s how the TR-6060 ended up behind the Shelby GT500’s supercharged 5.4L engine – it could take the abuse from the Shelby’s torque. The improved shift quality came from asymmetric clutch teeth in second and third gears; sintered bronze double and triple cone synchronizers were designed to offer quick gear changes with fluidity." (http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...ssions-tremec-tr6060-and-magnum-side-by-side/)

bobby_0081

Established Member
The Magnum is actually a TR6060, so looking at the information related to that transmission vs. the older T56: "The new synchroniser package features triple synchromesh on first and second gears, and double synchromesh on all other gears, including reverse, which has significantly reduced gear shift efforts and shift travel. The reduced shift travel provided by the synchroniser package has also allowed increased space for the use of larger gears, which are stronger to deliver improved torque capacity and gearbox durability. A new single-piece counter shaft also contributes to the greater torque capacity and durability enhancements. Other features of the new TR-6060 transmission include: Reduced friction in the shifter system courtesy of a new cam and anti-friction plunger to control the side load shift detents.
Forward and rearward shift detent grooves are broached on the front of the main-shaft with a spring-loaded anti-friction roller, for more precise control of shift detents and positive shift feel.
Anti-friction ball struts, sintered hubs and fine-pitch splines on all synchronisers for reduced friction between components - delivering improved shift feel and reduced shift efforts.
Wider, two piece gears with machined clutch teeth for more precise gear engagement and reduced potential for gear block-outs." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-6060_transmission)

Seems like the biggest factor with regards to torque capacity would be the physically larger gears.

“Our customers want better shift quality and increased torque capacity,” says Tremec’s Enthusiast Marketing Director Nate Tovey. Tovey says the Shelby’s TR-6060 actually started with a new synchronizer design. The synchro assembly was thinner in the TR-6060 compared to the T56. This narrower assembly allowed Tremec to bolster the transmission’s strength.

Thanks to the assembly’s more compact design, the company was able to add surface area to the gears and synchronizers, which in turn added strength. The added strength allowed Tremec to offer manufacturers more torque capacity when compared to the original T56. That’s how the TR-6060 ended up behind the Shelby GT500’s supercharged 5.4L engine – it could take the abuse from the Shelby’s torque. The improved shift quality came from asymmetric clutch teeth in second and third gears; sintered bronze double and triple cone synchronizers were designed to offer quick gear changes with fluidity." (http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...ssions-tremec-tr6060-and-magnum-side-by-side/)

Great Info. I swapped a T56 for a Magnum in my car and the Magnum is a bit larger and longer. I had to buy a shorter driveshaft and the 26 spline clutch. The shifters are also different. Good luck with your build.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I found out from above info, that I needed to order a t56 Mag, it just showed up today from D&D Performance. Cant wait to get it installed this weekend. So, I will be putting up the tuet1259 up for sale if anyone needs one. its a 2.97 1st gear, 10 spline input and 31 spline output

mustangwill50

Established Member
I found out from above info, that I needed to order a t56 Mag, it just showed up today from D&D Performance. Cant wait to get it installed this weekend. So, I will be putting up the tuet1259 up for sale if anyone needs one. its a 2.97 1st gear, 10 spline input and 31 spline output
How much do u need to get for it? R u willing to ship it? And lastly does it come wth any thing else?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread