What are the differences between a 2011 and 2018 6.2L

L-Bronco

Established Member
Hey all, looking for some info on what changed in the 6.2 around 2017. I threw a rod in my 2011 F-150 Harley and am searching for a replacement. I found a low mileage 2018 close to home , but, the interchange says they are different.
Does anyone know what the difference is?
I'm good if its just bolt on stuff.
Thanks in advance.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Valve covers for sure. They moved to plastic at some point. I’d venture to say it’s just a bunch of small things.

L-Bronco

Established Member
Valve covers for sure. They moved to plastic at some point. I’d venture to say it’s just a bunch of small things.
Thank you, I don't want to dive in and find out that they moved some mounting bosses or something I can't work around.
I appreciate the feedback!
Cheers

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
How many miles on the 6.2L when the rod went? I would assume some ECU changes because at some point the 6.2L is E85 compatible.

L-Bronco

Established Member
How many miles on the 6.2L when the rod went? I would assume some ECU changes because at some point the 6.2L is E85 compatible.
Shes just under 300,000 km (187,000ish miles)
Just got home (Alberta Canada) from a drag race in Boise Idaho, I'm really happy she got us home before giving up the ghost!

I'm not too worried about the tune side of it, Ill be keeping the Harley intake and exh, plus cams. I'm just trying to verify that it will physically bolt in\up, comp ratio is the same, along with valve size and quite a few other stats that I have found. I think it will work fine if there are no physical differences that I have to overcome.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Shes just under 300,000 km (187,000ish miles)
Just got home (Alberta Canada) from a drag race in Boise Idaho, I'm really happy she got us home before giving up the ghost!

I'm not too worried about the tune side of it, Ill be keeping the Harley intake and exh, plus cams. I'm just trying to verify that it will physically bolt in\up, comp ratio is the same, along with valve size and quite a few other stats that I have found. I think it will work fine if there are no physical differences that I have to overcome.
I think it will suit your needs you are basically swaping over the parts you need. Any mods to the vehicle? How was the weather in Boise?

L-Bronco

Established Member
I think it will suit your needs you are basically swaping over the parts you need. Any mods to the vehicle? How was the weather in Boise?
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
We hit all 4 seasons there. (Even snow)
We managed to get the race done between showers though. It will be better in August when we go back.
The Harley is pretty much stock. So it should be pretty simple to fix.
I decided to pull the engine and see if I can rebuild it rather than roll the dice on a used one.
As long as its better than the block from the funnycar on Thursday, I think it should be ok.
Cheers

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
We hit all 4 seasons there. (Even snow)
We managed to get the race done between showers though. It will be better in August when we go back.
The Harley is pretty much stock. So it should be pretty simple to fix.
I decided to pull the engine and see if I can rebuild it rather than roll the dice on a used one.
As long as its better than the block from the funnycar on Thursday, I think it should be ok.
Cheers
Glad you were able to get an open gap to get to race. If you wouldn't mind and have the time id love to see pictures of the tear down. The 6.2 is a very stout and reliable motor.

L-Bronco

Established Member
Glad you were able to get an open gap to get to race. If you wouldn't mind and have the time id love to see pictures of the tear down. The 6.2 is a very stout and reliable motor.
Will do, I should be in there in the next couple days. We had one of these while testing in Boise. I think mine is better than that, In further diag before I started pulling the 6.2 I don't think I lost a rod, I think Its rod bearings, coupled with a blown exh donut and loose timing chain tensioners. Noise everywhere cold, A lot quieter warm, but still bad.

IMG_0269 (2).JPG

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Will do, I should be in there in the next couple days. We had one of these while testing in Boise. I think mine is better than that, In further diag before I started pulling the 6.2 I don't think I lost a rod, I think Its rod bearings, coupled with a blown exh donut and loose timing chain tensioners. Noise everywhere cold, A lot quieter warm, but still bad.

View attachment 1747946
Damn that was a 6.2 at the track? Glad to hear if your 6.2L is in much better shape.

L-Bronco

Established Member
No, it's the 426 hemi from the funny car that I crew for. We had a rough weekend.
I'll try to get the engine out of the truck tonight and start the teardown. Picts to come...
Cheers

L-Bronco

Established Member
Got my 6.2 out on wed, torn down last night, Ill post a few picts when I have a second.
But, 300,000km and still has crosshatch! less than .0004" taper in the cylinders and the crank measures like new! the thing is a beast for sure! 3 collapsed pistons and some timing chain wear, plus 2 broken exh manifold bolts is all I found!
Way to go Ford!!

L-Bronco

Established Member
I have a few picts of the teardown for you, they are about 2.4 megs each but it wont let me attach them. (I'm getting the "file is too big for the server to process" message)

Users who are viewing this thread