What are my options? Car not correct after accident.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I was involved in an auto accident a few weeks ago, it did right at 10k worth of damage to my 2011 Ford Edge Sport, almost entirely suspension related. Anyways, they fix the car and I get it back and immediately notice its not right, but couldn't quite pinpoint it, or just thought maybe I was being paranoid. Anyways, after driving it for a few days I figured out all of the issues. If you are driving in a straight line, applying no gas, the car drives straight as an arrow, but the second you give it any amount of gas, it pulls right. The more gas you give, the harder it pulls. On the interstate it is unbearable because as soon as you give it gas it feels like a huge gust of wind hits the car and pushes it to the right, then when you let off it pulls back to the left, almost like its on rails. The car is also making noise like a worn out balljoint when you go over any bumps.

I told the body shop and they immediately set me up with a rental, and took the car back in. After a few days they call me and said they took it back to the alignment shop, and they said the alignment was perfect, and they took it to ford who also said the alignment was perfect, and that ALL EDGES DO THAT. Which is complete bullshit, and mine never did it, and my parents have one and theirs does not do it either. I told her it was bullshit and that my car did not do that before I brought it to them, and they said they are just going to take it to Ford to see if they notice anything wrong with it.

In the meantime Enterprise calls me and says the insurance is not paying for a rental after Tuesday (which my car won't be ready).

So this is how I think this is going to play out:

Ford is going to say nothing is wrong, repair shop is going to confirm, and state farm is going to give me the finger, then I am left with an Edge that I just bought in ****ing november that does not drive correctly. If this happens, what are my options?

Satyr

Established Member
When you get the car back, bring it to an independent shop and have them go for a ride with you and then let them drive it. See what they say. You need someone else to have a look at it (ideally, someone that wasn't directly involved in the repair, since those parties will be much more inclined to say nothing's wrong).

YJSONLY

Established Member
Sounds like you need to call your insurance rep. They should extended your rental being that they are "working" on your car.

As far as repair. I would ask your insurance what needs to happen that your car is still not correct.

MG0h3

Established Member
Sucks man. Too many go down like this.

Hope it gets handled. Just dont give in.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
When you get the car back, bring it to an independent shop and have them go for a ride with you and then let them drive it. See what they say. You need someone else to have a look at it (ideally, someone that wasn't directly involved in the repair, since those parties will be much more inclined to say nothing's wrong).

Take the car your parents have, and let them drive it also, so they can get a feel for the other vehicle , that has not been wrecked.

Then they will have an example of two , to make a determination from.
I ha e an 08 Escape, which I believe are the same , or similar platform, and it does not driving like that.

It does have some torque steer at very low speeds, like all front wheel drive cars, but is extremely minimal.

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The alignment itself may be correct, but I bet it is at the extreme range of "green" for the alignment. By chance was the subframe removed or replaced as part of the repair? I may not have been centered correctly, like when you install a K-member on a Mustang and have to square it properly. Also check the motor mounts and CV axles for damage if they were not replaced in the accident.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I know the cv axle and the engine cradle were replaced, not sure what else, I can try to find the complete estimate.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Did you use one of state farms recommended shops. If so, call your adjuster and set up a meeting to take him for a ride. Explain to him that the shop and alignment shop said it is in spec but something is not right. I would get a tech to double check everything that was replaced. If it was my car, I would jack it up and x out that crossmember and the frame rails to make sure everything is in line.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I figured that car would have issues. Bring the parents car down for a comparison, if convenient, also get an Edge for a rental car if possible.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's going to be tough if both the repair shop and Ford don't see an issue because they believe everything is to spec. And no two cars are really identical, especially if they're a couple-few years old. Getting them to drive another similar Edge for comparison is going to be tough. I tried that once with my old '12 Buick LaCrosse. Dealer wouldn't do it. I do feel bad for you if the before and after differences are very noticeable to you. I think your only hope is that some component issue will reveal itself. Overall, it sucks, I know.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Is this your own insurance or someone else's that's paying for it? I'm going through the same exact thing right now, and I'm at the point of just receiving the car but in terrible shape driving wise.

Since the body shop that did the initial work is not a suspension place, I took it to a performance shop that deals with late model muscle cars and had them pinpoint out all the things that were wrong with it. And it turns out that even though the alignment is dead on, there are damaged parts which will cause either a pull, wobbly driving or just unsafe. I contacted my adjuster and he said to get the estimate and send it in, which I will.

However since I was not at fault with the accident, the other insurance is paying for a rental when/if I need it. I was told there is no "limit" on how much I have it for as long as there is work related to be done (aka I can't just have a rental for nothing, if there is legit work needed I get one).

I would say take it to an independent place and have them checkout the actual suspension/underbody. If it's pulling like that something is off.

Good luck with yours and I will try and keep you updated on how mine goes since it seems we're in very similar positions unfortunately.

MysticRob

Established Member
It's an AWD platform so I wouldn't expect torque-steer problems. Since you're talking about suspension components being replaced, I'm thinking the shop did NOT use the Sport-specific parts and used regular old Edge parts which are likely causing the issues. The 2011 Sport sits lower on an all-new suspension, so that might help explain it. I would check all the part #s against Ford's parts database and verify the shop used the right parts!

Last edited:

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Did you use one of state farms recommended shops. If so, call your adjuster and set up a meeting to take him for a ride. Explain to him that the shop and alignment shop said it is in spec but something is not right. I would get a tech to double check everything that was replaced. If it was my car, I would jack it up and x out that crossmember and the frame rails to make sure everything is in line.

I did not use one of their 'preferred' shops because they all got terrible reviews. I took it to a body shop that came highly recommended by locals.

It's an AWD platform so I wouldn't expect torque-steer problems. Since you're talking about suspension components being replaced, I'm thinking the shop did NOT use the Sport-specific parts and used regular old Edge parts which are likely causing the issues. The 2011 Sport sits lower on an all-new suspension, so that might help explain it. I would check all the part #s against Ford's parts database and verify the shop used the right parts!

Its actually the FWD Edge, but I bet you are right also about them not using Sport parts.

Here are a few pics of the damage.

10422599_10203907894153913_7360755764335774647_n.jpg

11150281_10203907893833905_1996409428507033758_n.jpg

10612958_10203907893713902_8323343001691671815_n.jpg

11136650_10203907893593899_1214282320704112908_n.jpg

11008512_10203907893473896_7750911009224685784_n.jpg

11060867_10203907893313892_4669908301959322146_n.jpg

MysticRob

Established Member
I did not use one of their 'preferred' shops because they all got terrible reviews. I took it to a body shop that came highly recommended by locals.

Its actually the FWD Edge, but I bet you are right also about them not using Sport parts...

Interesting -- I thought all the Sport models were AWD. At least now with all the new parts you can compare the part #s on the vehicle to what your local parts dept says they should be. Still though, if it's not AWD, then what you've described could just be normal torque steer, though you would know better than anyone if there is something wrong. Keep us updated, please.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Which body shop?

xx, but keep in mind, so far they have been very accommodating and haven't tried to stiff me yet, I am just expecting the worst.

Edited: I don't want to put their name out there as they have been doing everything in their power so far.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sounds like you need to call your insurance rep. They should extended your rental being that they are "working" on your car.

As far as repair. I would ask your insurance what needs to happen that your car is still not correct.

This. This and all of this.

I took my Fusion back twice after it was rear ended (initial amount was $6500 in damage, my fusion was worth maybe $9k at the time). Talked to Flo and dropped it off at their facility (they take it from there to whatever shop they used initially). Both times I got a rental provided to me by my insurance.

I had a really loud hum, like I was driving on 35" super swampers, past 55mph. First time they replaced both rear wheel bearings/hubs since they initially reused them while replacing almost all other bent rear suspension components. This helped, but did not alleviate it (the hum was now present at 80+). Then they replaced my rear wheels because they found they were out of round likely due to the impact when the other guys car literally drove under mine and got wedged in there.

OP why are you doing anything yourself? This is what you pay your insurance company to deal with.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
This is why I traded my wife's 2011 Mustang after it was rear ended. The body shop and insurance company told me it was as good as it gets and pound sand, so while the claim was still open I traded it and fought for the depreciated value which they eventually paid because I refused to have a POS caused by their insured driver and piss poor repair process.

Users who are viewing this thread