What are average gains for 2006 Mustang GT

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
Yesterday the tuner and I tried to tune my 2006 Mustang GT using a XCalibrator-II with what I would call dismal results.

Here are my Rear Wheel Dyno Result results:

Pure stock: 263.4 HP 290.5 TQ A/F 14.7
With K&N Panel filter: 267.1 HP 293.7 TQ A/F 15.3
XCalibrator Base Tune: 273.2 HP 299.0 TQ A/F 15.3

The posted A/F ratios are at idle not under load. When under load the A/F goes to upper 13's.

The tuner then tried adjusting down the A/F numbers to hit around 13.something and the HP/TQ numbers just kept hovering between 270 to 273HP and 297 to 299 TQ no matter how much we tried adjusting. The car just seemed to not want to pick up anymore power no matter how the A/F ratio was adjusted.

In short I question how much the programming device actually can claim to do when 40% of the gain was from the K&N air-filter panel alone. I think the cost of the SCT device is rather steep given that I only made a 6 HP/TQ gain using the device when you subtract the K&N gain alone.

Any thoughts? What are the average results people are seeing with tuning a 2006 Mustang GT using XCalibator-II? Am I expecting too much given a bone stock configuration and only a K&N panel filter? :shrug:

Last edited:

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Mile hi dyno tuned my dads 06 GT. Bone stock it put 258hp and 272 tq. We added a mac cai and an 87 octane tune. the end result was 272hp 293 tq. We ran 1 pull with the cai and no tune and didnt gain any power. It just leaned it out really far.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
ZOSO said:
Mile hi dyno tuned my dads 06 GT. Bone stock it put 258hp and 272 tq. We added a mac cai and an 87 octane tune. the end result was 272hp 293 tq. We ran 1 pull with the cai and no tune and didnt gain any power. It just leaned it out really far.

That's a gain of 14 HP and 21 ft-lbs of torque. Not bad. Unfortunately mine only gained 10 HP and TQ. I noticed my stock HP and TQ numbers were way above yours so perhaps I shouldn't be expecting much more.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
The thing you will get outta your tune is more drivibility than power. The 06 is so much easier to drive and reacts a lot better than stock. You can only do so much with a n/a motor.

stang9325

Established Member
The K&N is part of it. Better gains can be had from a JLT or C&L. Many have claimed rwhp with either of those intakes and Xcal II to be around 285-290.

Stripes

Established Member
Yeah, I agree that JLT and C&L are the best for the 05/06 stangs. I have a C&L and tune.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
Stripes said:
Yeah, I agree that JLT and C&L are the best for the 05/06 stangs. I have a C&L and tune.

I went to a BBK CAI and JBA axle-back. From the XCal-2 I went from 267 to 280 RWHP and from 290 to 300 in RWTQ. I figure it has to be all the BBK since most axle-backs don't make gains.

I am wondering if I throw in an X-Pipe what would be the probablt gains?

nbk13nw

Established Member
Using an SCT and a JLT I was able to pull 286rwhp and 310rwtq. I have yet to have another dyno run since the new bamachips 93 tune. It sure feels better that the canned JLT.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
nbk13nw said:
Using an SCT and a JLT I was able to pull 286rwhp and 310rwtq. I have yet to have another dyno run since the new bamachips 93 tune. It sure feels better that the canned JLT.

What was your baseline stock dyno pull?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
your problem was the bas can tune from SCT. Have bamachips or brenspeed send you custom tunes.

My set up JLT II w/ brenspeed tuned xcal 2 and h pipe were 290/311.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
When I had a JBA axleback, steeda cai, slp x-pipe and a 93 octane tune with X-cal2 I saw 301rwhp and 313rwtq.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
nbk13nw said:
The base pull was 265 / 291

To be honest I believe you are making the power you say but I have yet to see any 05/06 GT make this power with just those two specific mods without going way lean to make it happen. Do you happen to have the dyno graph for your air/fuel ratio for your pull of 286rwhp and 310rwtq? I would like to see the entire A/F ratio graphic.

Last edited:

nbk13nw

Established Member
I dont have the graph from the pulls last year, but I am going to a Dyno day on August 12tha dn plan on grabbing a graph. The new tune needs to be tweaked a bit. As far as I remember the A/F was running in the low 12's more or less across the board. I will repost as soon as the new numbers are in. But there was another there that day hitting 310 / 320 with JBA LT's, MAC Pro Off-Road, Plate Deletes and a JLT.

nbk13nw

Established Member
I dont have the graph from the pulls last year, but I am going to a Dyno day on August 12tha dn plan on grabbing a graph. The new tune needs to be tweaked a bit. As far as I remember the A/F was running in the low 12's more or less across the board. I will repost as soon as the new numbers are in. But There was another there that day hitting 310 / 320 with JBA LT's, MAC Pro Off-Road, Plate Deletes and a JLT.

The Natural

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I hit 313rwhp/325rwtq. I have slp lt's and x pipe, jlt cai, bamachips 93 race tune, and steeda under drive pulleys. My a/f was in the low 12's when I did this. I have since then put Magnapacks on, not that that would help a whole hell of a lot, and I have an updated tune waiting to go on my car. I haven't seen too many others making much more than this N/A but if you guys have let me know.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
The Natural said:
I hit 313rwhp/325rwtq. I have slp lt's and x pipe, jlt cai, bamachips 93 race tune, and steeda under drive pulleys. My a/f was in the low 12's when I did this. I have since then put Magnapacks on, not that that would help a whole hell of a lot, and I have an updated tune waiting to go on my car. I haven't seen too many others making much more than this N/A but if you guys have let me know.

Seems like the X-pipe is the key bolt-on to get 300+ RWHP after the CAI, exhaust and initial tune. Any suggestions as to the best X-pipe to get for the 06? Should it include hi-flow cats or use the stock ones?

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Sonic Blue GT said:
Seems like the X-pipe is the key bolt-on to get 300+ RWHP after the CAI, exhaust and initial tune. Any suggestions as to the best X-pipe to get for the 06? Should it include hi-flow cats or use the stock ones?

Definitly DO NOT use the stock cats. They are too restrictive. I have SLP hiflow cats and I am happy with them...although now that my car is relativly done its major surgery lol, I'm thinking LTs and no cats.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Rick from Amazon Dyno Tuned Mine to 293 with a WMS Ram Air, Bassani Axleback, and Aluminuim Flywheel. ( 91 octane tune)

MARKCORE

\m/ >< \m/
Established Member
nbk13nw said:
But there was another there that day hitting 310 / 320 with JBA LT's, MAC Pro Off-Road, Plate Deletes and a JLT.
What do you mean by plate deletes??

Users who are viewing this thread