What am I missing guys.. will tires help?

Ablaze

Established Member
I have Van's handling package w/springs, 275/305s Continental ExtremeContacts on the stock wheels, 4.10s with headers and a 10% pulley.

My acceleration feels poor unless I'm very aggressive with the gas and even then I'm not going anywhere in 1st or 2nd with half to 3/4th throttle. I'm not trying to launch the car and expecting it to dead hook. I'm just talking acceleration. Now on the highway at 3rd gear it's a rocket ship. No CEL either.

In turns I'm not super confident either. Car feels like it's kinda all over the place. That's probably an exaggeration but my previous S197 GT with a similar setup but less suspension mods, just lowered really, (half the power though so duh) was planted and *extremely* confident running UHP A/S tires.

What direction should I go next? Buy some R888Rs? Sway bars? I thought about sending some data logs to Lund but I'm thinking it's suspension related and want some advice.

raustin0017

Established Member
Also have the Revan Racing suspension setup. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 295/315 on stock rims. My issues with traction was solved. Handling is amazing. Can drive as hard as I want on the street.

Ablaze

Established Member
Are you running stock gears? Any photos of the 295/315s on the car? Sounds really wide but awesome.

Ablaze

Established Member
Got the VMP Triple Pass H/E. Think the Michelin vs the Continentals would make that much difference? Or just go all the way, buy new wheels and go with the Toyos?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
A lot of your problem is your tires, I'm running 275 NT05s up front and 315/35R20 NT05Rs out back and my car has great traction and handles awesome, I have a watts link in the back as well.

RBB

Established Member
You put 315s on stock wheels? I've read that the widest tire you can put on 9.5" wheels are 295s
You can stuff them on the stock wheels. They’ll definitely bulge, and you’re not making the most of the them, but quite a few have done it.

eagle eye

Established Member
You can stuff them on the stock wheels. They’ll definitely bulge, and you’re not making the most of the them, but quite a few have done it.

Do you notice any adverse affects in the handling dept. over the stock configuration?

Ablaze

Established Member
A lot of your problem is your tires, I'm running 275 NT05s up front and 315/35R20 NT05Rs out back and my car has great traction and handles awesome, I have a watts link in the back as well.

I have a watts link so I think you're 100% right and I need stickier tires. I'll look at the NT05s and R888Rs.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
You put 315s on stock wheels? I've read that the widest tire you can put on 9.5" wheels are 295s
The widest tire Michelin recommends on our stock rims is 285. Many (including me) up-size to 295 without issue. FWIW, I wouldn't shoehorn 315s on there.

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
Also have the Revan Racing suspension setup. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 295/315 on stock rims. My issues with traction was solved. Handling is amazing. Can drive as hard as I want on the street.
i have the same tires on aftermarket rims.those michelins tire are great.295/315 as well.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
I have Van's handling package w/springs, 275/305s Continental ExtremeContacts on the stock wheels, 4.10s with headers and a 10% pulley.

Do you have the Conti EC DWS, DW, or Sport? The first two have relatively soft sidewalls and are not as sticky as the ECS. Stretching 305's on 9.5" wheels even more wiggle in the back.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Definitely go R888 or Nitto NT05s - if your budget can afford, wider Rims will help also. I went Vossen aftermarket rims - 10.5" Rears and 305s out back. Handle and hook ALOT better.

Ablaze

Established Member
Do you have the Conti EC DWS, DW, or Sport? The first two have relatively soft sidewalls and are not as sticky as the ECS. Stretching 305's on 9.5" wheels even more wiggle in the back.

Sports. I'm going to buy wider wheels so I can increase the contact patch. Just waiting for the holiday deals.

raustin0017

Established Member
Well....I think the 315s work pretty well on the 9.5. Understand the wheel is a bit narrower than the what Michelin recommends.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-11_18-47-7.png
    upload_2018-11-11_18-47-7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 154

paluka21

Established Member
In turns I'm not super confident either. Car feels like it's kinda all over the place.

What handling package are you referring to? At minimum, with the power level you're most likely at and the 4.10 rear gears, you should consider panhard bar to center the rear, upper and lower control arms with relocation brackets, and a stickier tire. Want to keep good handling and gain traction, check out the Toyo R888 tires for the rear. The 315s will be too wide for stock rims, but you can get them in 285 size. They will dramatically help traction over the existing tires you're running in a straight line and around turns.

However, I will say that even with my near stock power level (630ish rwhp), 3.73 gears, and Toyo R888's, from time to time I rear will still break loose in 3rd gear if the tires aren't heated well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread