What adjustable shocks and struts are u using??

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Can't decide which adjustable setup to go with...some feedback on the offerings for these cars would be killer.

Thanks in advance:beer:

shelby2

Established Member
I have the Ford Racing adjustable shocks and struts and love them! Got the whole track pack for my 2009 up at Carlisle this year. If I knew how great/well this kit worked would have bought it day 1 of owning the car. Amazing handles like a M3.
:beer:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I have the Ford Racing adjustable shocks and struts and love them! Got the whole track pack for my 2009 up at Carlisle this year. If I knew how great/well this kit worked would have bought it day 1 of owning the car. Amazing handles like a M3.
:beer:

Are they double or single adjustable meaning compression and rebound adjustable independent of each other?

BMR Tech

Can't decide which adjustable setup to go with...some feedback on the offerings for these cars would be killer.

Thanks in advance:beer:

As you can probably imagine, I have a substantial amount of experience with shocks and struts on these cars.

What is it, that you are wanting from them? Cornering? Straight-Line? All-Around?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
As you can probably imagine, I have a substantial amount of experience with shocks and struts on these cars.

What is it, that you are wanting from them? Cornering? Straight-Line? All-Around?

All around...its not a drag car..its a street car I drive at the track 5-6 times a year..drag racing.

BMR Tech

Hmmm....

Well, the Konis are very nice....but they are not all that great for drag-strip use. You can get them to work, as long as you have the proper geometry within the rear suspension, and a very sticky tire.

The Strange Single Adjustables are hands down, the best "bang for the buck".. I have guys daily driving, road coursing, and excelling at the drag-strip with these pieces. They are about $280 for the front pair, and about $180 for the rear pair.

The QA1's have also been proven to work well, but are more catered to a drag-racer.

The Tokico D-Specs are proven performers, and many people believe these are the best overall choice for a street car, that like to drag race occasionally. I tend to agree, but in my honest opinion, the quality is not quite on par with the Koni's. We have experienced a decent amount of warranty claims on the Tokicos.

Another choice is coilovers. QA1 has revised their front coilover system, and it have proven to work quite well for "all-around" use. This set-up, for the front only, will run about $800.

The Eibach Coilover systems have become very popular, but I tend to recommend these more, for the customer looking for handling advantage.

One thing I highly recommend, on a manual trans GT500, is to run a Double Adjustable rear shock. Viking Performance's double adjustable rear S197 shock has quickly become one of my "go to" shocks for the GT500 crowd. They are an excellent value, at $189.95/each.....for an aluminum bodied, 19 Comp - 19 Rebound setting rear shock.

My vote is the Koni Yellows, for all-around use. My second vote is Strange Front Struts and Viking Rear shocks, for all-around use that will work well at the drag-strip.

Lastly, I recommend coilovers. The reason these come last is, you really have to choose between handling or straight-line when deciding to go the Coilover route, as it has proven to be difficult making a coilover work "best" for all-around use.

BMR Tech

It is really up to you.

The Koni's have a fixed compression setting, with adjustable Rebound. I tend to run most of my rear shocks on atleast 3/4 firm....often times full-firm..

I would say, the majority of my customers run their Koni Yellows in the 1/2 to 3/4 firm area. A lot of them run on full soft, these are the people who could have just gone with a Koni STR.T and been just fine.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Not trying to high jack the thread, but...I too am thinking about upgrading the shocks and springs all the way around. I had planned on the Tokico D with the Steeda springs...

My question for BMR Tech is...my GT500 is a daily driver in the DFW area. The roads really suck and the car bounces all around with the stock SVT package. I am looking for a little more comfort, I also think that with a little softer suspension the car will handle better too. BTW I have BMR upper and BMR mount and Bob's LCA and Shelby Watts link.

Thanks for any advice. Just a side note...I originally had the BMR SP0002 springs at all 4 corners but had to take them off because the fronts just were not right for the GT500 weight.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I went with viking double adjustables out back..still undecided on fronts.

It's a tough choice. I'd go Griggs or GC, both are quality pieces. Both will tell you what you need to reach your goal. I'm finishing up my GC coilover install so ill let you know how they perform after my alignment

Last edited:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Good timing on this thread....I'm not doing this mod next but, probably down the line. Be good to know what the best bang for the buck is for all around. I think I had originally heard Tokico or Koni. Sounds like a good set of Koni's might be the ticket....TVS comes first then this..well unless one helluva deal comes around then I'll pick them up.

BMR Tech

Not trying to high jack the thread, but...I too am thinking about upgrading the shocks and springs all the way around. I had planned on the Tokico D with the Steeda springs...

My question for BMR Tech is...my GT500 is a daily driver in the DFW area. The roads really suck and the car bounces all around with the stock SVT package. I am looking for a little more comfort, I also think that with a little softer suspension the car will handle better too. BTW I have BMR upper and BMR mount and Bob's LCA and Shelby Watts link.

Thanks for any advice. Just a side note...I originally had the BMR SP0002 springs at all 4 corners but had to take them off because the fronts just were not right for the GT500 weight.

Correct, the BMR SP011's will drop the front of a GT500 down lower than the GT's, due to the design and rate. You have to like that look and feel, it definitely isn't for everyone.

For what you are looking for, I think the D-Specs would be a solid choice. As for the Springs, I typically recommend the FRPP 5300L's....or the Pro-Kit. For what you want, I think the Steeda Ultralights would suit, but you may want to call them and see what they have to share.

I went with viking double adjustables out back..still undecided on fronts.

Good choice. These are truly a great performing all-around shock, and the pricing is excellent. I am surprised that more people are not running them, to be honest. Please provide the forum with feedback on them. :rockon:

Good timing on this thread....I'm not doing this mod next but, probably down the line. Be good to know what the best bang for the buck is for all around. I think I had originally heard Tokico or Koni. Sounds like a good set of Koni's might be the ticket....TVS comes first then this..well unless one helluva deal comes around then I'll pick them up.

Right now, the bang for the buck goes to the Koni's, since they are 20% off.

That being said, due to the ride height of your car up front....the D-Specs will probably be a better choice. The Koni's are showing about a 1/4" additional drop on the fronts, when installed on an S197....so that may put you "too" low for now. I still have not forgotten about you, too. Just waiting on a little more testing. :beer:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Right now, the bang for the buck goes to the Koni's, since they are 20% off.

That being said, due to the ride height of your car up front....the D-Specs will probably be a better choice. The Koni's are showing about a 1/4" additional drop on the fronts, when installed on an S197....so that may put you "too" low for now. I still have not forgotten about you, too. Just waiting on a little more testing. :beer:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kelly! I'll keep that in mind as the time approaches for my shock/strut upgrade.

Cool! Look forward to hearing the news when you guys are ready!

Users who are viewing this thread