What a way to start a season :(

Cobra-R

Established Member
Went down to MAM on Friday to run the afternoon and then run with Damian and findtheline on saturday. My goal was to shake the race car down and make sure everything is ok before the first race in three weeks.

On the track for my fourth session and started smelling coolant, just as I pulled up to my trailer steam came out and there was water running out from the timing cover, behind the water pump. It really is not a big deal, more than I could fix at the track so I packed it up and decided to head to the hotel for a good nights sleep before I head home.

Left Council Bluffs at 5:30 am for home with my 7 year old daughter. About 50 miles before the Minnesota border, I saw the generator door blowing open. I pulled off and the lock had broken. No big deal, easy fix.......when I get home. Got back on the road within a few minutes and just as we got into Minnesota we heard a huge bang. I pulled over and looked everything over, couldn't find anything wrong so I decided to take off again. As soon as I put the truck in drive and started to move I knew something was very very wrong with the truck. With the throttle to the floor, the truck would only go about 45 mph. Feels like either the tranny is slipping or the engine is in a limp mode. No warning lights and tranny temp was still ok, so it is only speculation on my part at this point.

Thanks to Dave and Steve from Carriage House Customs for borrowing me their Chevy to come pull the trailer home. The F'en King Ranch is sitting at the Ford dealer once again. Sure love owning a Ford Super Duty again. lol

What a way to start the season.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Brian:

That's not a good start to the season for sure! :( Those engines like to blow the turbo hose off the intake then you have no boost. Happened to me once and it was fixed and then after the recall of installing a revised hose it blew off again. Once I tightened it back on it has not blow off since!

Are you turning your daughter into a gearhead?!?! :-D

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Brian:

That's not a good start to the season for sure! :( Those engines like to blow the turbo hose off the intake then you have no boost. Happened to me once and it was fixed and then after the recall of installing a revised hose it blew off again. Once I tightened it back on it has not blow off since!

Are you turning your daughter into a gearhead?!?! :-D

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce,

I did some searching on a Diesel forum and saw some concerns like that so I took a drive to the dealership this morning. I looked to see if it could be that simple, I didn't find any loose or damaged hoses. It actually does make sense that it could be something like that since the engine and tranny were apart on this thing a couple months ago and maybe something didn't get tightend enough. Hope it is that simple. At least it is under warranty.

I am trying to get Megan turned into a gearhead, I have a feeling dad won't be as cool when she gets older. lol

Brian

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Man that is some bad luck for the weekend! Hopefully everything goes well and gets fixed quickly end easily. Good Luck:beer:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra-R said:
On the track for my fourth session and started smelling coolant, just as I pulled up to my trailer steam came out and there was water running out from the timing cover, behind the water pump.
At least you got all of the bad luck out of the way before the season starts.

I don't think I've ever seen coolant coming out from the timing cover? Head gasket?

Feels like either the tranny is slipping or the engine is in a limp mode. No warning lights and tranny temp was still ok, so it is only speculation on my part at this point.
It's the 6L? I race with a guy that had so many problems with a dually PS F350 that Ford volunteered to buy back the truck. He bought a new one that has been very reliable.

I have a feeling dad won't be as cool when she gets older
Yep, it happens about the time that you will not let her go on a date as a 14-year old. A few years later, you'll regain your position as the world's best dad. :bowdown:

Cobra-R

Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
At least you got all of the bad luck out of the way before the season starts.

I don't think I've ever seen coolant coming out from the timing cover? Head gasket?

Looks like there is a passage where the coolant passes through the timing cover from the water pump to the block or head? It is really hard to see.

One of the bolts that holds the timing indicator on fell out and popped the gasket. I really don't think it is a big deal.............I hope. ;)

Yes, it is a 6.0L. Hopefully it is something simple.

Brian

Last edited:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
well..

Cobra-R said:
How did your weekend go, Scott?

Brian
we froze friday night in the motorhome and saturday am, the generator quit. Sooo.. we came home saturday noon. the car never left the trailer. Will try again later. to damn cold for the southern guys,. SCott

Cobra-R

Established Member
scottmartin said:
we froze friday night in the motorhome and saturday am, the generator quit. Sooo.. we came home saturday noon. the car never left the trailer. Will try again later. to damn cold for the southern guys,. SCott

Bummer. :( Sorry to hear that, Scott.

Brian

PS: It was the turbo that went out on my truck.

Lgroth

Established Member
scottmartin said:

Scott, I wish I would have known your problem, you could have plugged into our generator. We had the generator run all the time we were at the track and had plenty to run your furnace too. Next time you have a problem let us know. We may be able to help. Lew

BAD PNY

Established Member
Brian

Sorry about your problems. I am in Fl on vacation heading home tomorrow. We open the northeast season at Summit Point this weekend. Will call you when I get home.

Really this is an easy fix. Race a GM product and tow with a GM product....:shrug:

TTYS Mike

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Hi Brian, and everyone else. I have not been on this board lately ( been busy building my 83 Mustang) so forgive me if I ask a question that has been discussed.

Brian, as far as your coolant leak, did you have the timing cover off the engine for awhile? If so, I have had similar problems with several engines after the engines were apart for awhile with the same type coolant leak. a new timing cover has fixed the problem. They must warp or something when apart.

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
Lgroth said:
Scott, I wish I would have known your problem, you could have plugged into our generator. We had the generator run all the time we were at the track and had plenty to run your furnace too. Next time you have a problem let us know. We may be able to help. Lew

Thanks for the offer Lew, Debbie was very cold. She has not felt very good lately. We decided to go and get warm and a good night sleep. We will try again REAL soon. Scott

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Tom:

Um....... thanks for pointing out the obvious! :-D Somehow I missed that?! :fart:

No problem, always lookin' out... :lol:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Gee, sounds like the same problem I had with my CHEVY powered RV! at least I had the problem fixed the right way (SO FAR) by a big truck repair center, since the chevy dealers found nothing wrong with it each time (3) that they looked at it....fixed under warranty, but getting stuck on the road sucks....

Users who are viewing this thread