What’s that sound??

Spool_Bus

Please excuse my poor Grammer. Yes I’m a crayon eater.

Please don’t hang me, I did use the almighty search bar for hours and stumbled up only one post that was similar. But after my testing today I don’t think it’s the same issue.

Gen 2 f150 motor 68K
Gen 2 f150 oil pan
Gen 2-1 oil filter mod
Gen 2 f150 oil pick up tube
Gen 1 GT valve covers
Gen 1 GT dip stick
Gen 1 GT oil pump with billet gears and sprocket
Gen 1 cams
Gen 1 timing assembly
Gen 1 GT Intake manifold shaved to fit
Ford racing one step colder
Speed daddy Long tubes headers
Open exhaust
Paxton novi 2200
ID1000
Kenny Bell boost a pump
Mccloud RXT
Built trans
Speed daddy long tubes headers
Fell pro exhaust gaskets.

Okay so sense the first day of start up this tick had been there. I had originally thought it was a header leak sense the tubes on my JBA headers are mangled because the guy who vandalized my car lifted the motor out from the long tubes. Soo new speed daddy headers and felpro gaskets. Yes felpro gaskets don’t hang me but felpro gaskets are made for uneven mating surfaces so if this flange gets ruined I won’t have an exhaust leak that was my thought behind it.
so the engine bay is dead silent. But if you go under the car you can hear this loud tick. Not the common type writer tick a loud audible tick that picks up and flutters with speed. One cam phaser I used was bad but I took it appart and got all the gunk cleaned out hoping it would work. Yesterday after taking data logs my phasers seem to be in working order at idle. So could this be a phaser tick but why can’t I hear it in the engine bay by the timing cover. Also I used the Gen 2 hydro timing chain tensioner could This be an issue if it’s bleeding off oil pressure?
Last week I bought a automotive stethoscope and went over the whole car from the oil pan to the heads. The only tick is audibly present where the block and heads meet or at cylinder 4 spark plug.
Today I attempted to pull every individual coil pack hoping to hear a change in tone.... I got nothing.
I also tried the trying to move the piston with an extension on the downward stroke to check bearing integrity and the pistons didn’t budge. So I assume I can rule out rod bearing issues. I did noticed when I put the whole exhaust on the car the trick gets much quieter VS running open headers.
I also recently got a P0024 code which corresponds to vct and phaser issues and or lack of oil pressure.
here’s some videos of the sound let’s here your thoughts.
As of today I made the conclusion that I did use the Gen 2 f150 oil pan which takes 8 quarts of oil and I used the Gen 1 GT dip stick because the Gen 2 f150 dip stick isn’t interchangeable with the Gen 2 valve covers. So am I low on oil can any 15 and up f150 owners please measure there dip stick from the bottom of the yellow eye lid to the bottom of the dip stick please ?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
To me this sounds like a rod bearing issue. It does resemble an exhaust leak and very well could be. You really need to try a set of OEM gaskets to rule this out. The OEM manifold gaskets are far better than any aftermarket ones.

However, im still leaning towards a rod bearing. The only real way to check this is to remove your oil pan and inspect everything. Is your oil pan crushed at all? If its crushed, something could be hitting the rotating assembly when the engine is running causing the tick.

Spool_Bus

I’m perfectly content if it’s a rod bearing. But the Oil pan is in perfect shape, the only thing that confuses me is why does it get quieter when you put the full exhaust on ? To my knowledge a rod knock can’t resonate threw any exhaust system and not the bottom end.
Also does any one know what a bad valve lash adjuster sound like ?

Users who are viewing this thread