Wet Spark Plugs

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
My car starting idling like sh*t about a week ago when cold and didn't want to go until it was running for at least 3 minutes. Something was wrong and I was expecting my plugs to have been fouled and was pissed since Densos are not cheap and this set has only been on my car for less then 3 months. So tonight I decided to pull them and see what they looked like. I pulled 5 and 6 and they looked fine and nothing wrong. I then pulled 7 the end of the coil boot had rust looking powder on it then I pulled the plug and it was completely wet. I proceeded to pull 8 and the same thing. I haven't pulled 1-4 yet. I believe this has to be from washing the car and the coil-cover not sealing up.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Correct same thing on mine, a white powder kinda stuff on the boot? Yeah its from water getting under the cover, just get some compressed air and clean those pups out and pull the plugs on the 2 back cyl's, shouldnt have fouled em tho.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I checked 1-4 and they are clear which is good because pulling 3 and 4 with the KB is a PIA. I spray the motor down every time I wash the car. What I believe happened is there is a gasket around the parameter of the coil cover and opening in the back for the wires to go through. The wires have a grommet on them to seal up the opening in the cover. I don't believe the grommet was inside the cover before which allowed the water to come in and made sure it is now.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Always a good idea to put a SMALL amount of dielectric grease on the end of the plug to create a waterproof seal between it and the boot. A small amount of antisieze on the spark plug threads should be done during installation too!

U.M.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
Always a good idea to put a SMALL amount of dielectric grease on the end of the plug to create a waterproof seal between it and the boot. A small amount of antisieze on the spark plug threads should be done during installation too!

U.M.

I do both. The entire hole was full of water so no mater how much grease you used it wouldn't have helped.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
I'd never spray down the engine with a hose. Too many poorly sealed things.

Users who are viewing this thread