Wesbite Wont Sell NT05R Tires What Gives?

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
So I place an order on the website (didn't know the vendor was on SVTP until literally right now) for (2) 315/35/17R Nitto NT05R for my 03 Cobra. Get a phone call a short time later and the guy asks me some questions, obviously not a car guy if your asking is a Cobra a Mustang and is this an SVT or regular. Anyhow, I ask him why does this even matter I am purchasing two tires that I know will work for my application. An application that is far from OEM equipment in multiple aspects. He then asks what I plan on doing with the tires street driving or racing. So without even thinking about it I say both because its a tagged car and I do drive it on the streets occasionally. He then goes on to state the load rating of the tires and how they don't meet OEM spec and BTW we cant sell you these tires due to this. To my astonishment I say what? You have to be F#4#ing kidding. He said its a safety policy and we wont do it. So what your telling me is you guys have a guy sitting behind a computer and if it doesn't meet OEM specs you wont sell it? I even tell the guy this is a 600+hp car that has plenty of mods that make it lighter. At that point it didn't matter, as he was cancelling the order. SERIOUSLY what gives? But if I tell you its a track only car you will sell it to me and he said yes, but its to late now. Maybe I can still order some tires and tell you its for my non street rims and I promise to use them at the track only. And that Ill just continue to run my slicks and skinnies on the street :-D

But seriously what gives its not like im a soccer mom ordering the incorrect tires for my minivan I am well aware what I am ordering and for an application that is far from OEM... :bash:

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
You should have told him you were making swings out of them for the backyard.

If I am purchasing tires over the internet, it is nobody's business what I am going to do with them. :nonono:

Last edited:

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Exactly my point. Not to mention he has no idea what he is talking about either! A Nitto NT05R tire in 315/35/17R has a max load rating of 1433 lbs. A factory spec OEM 03 Mustang Cobra weighs 3665 coupe lbs (curb weight). To determine Load weight, you divide gross weight by each tire, which is 4. 3665 divided by 4 is 916.25 lbs. Granted that is curb weight and not gross weight as I am to lazy to look up gross weight, but freaking cmon! That is almost 2000 extra pounds and gross weight takes into account all passengers and amenities. Just saying...

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
So I had to look it up GVW is 4600. 2350 Front and 2225 Rear. And since rear is where I am running these tires that's all that matters anyhow...

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting the tire size you want, R3dfireCobra. I'll do my best to clear up the confusion.

There are a number of factors that come into play when we are verifying tire fitments. One of them is load index. We look at the factory tire's load index and the factory recommended air pressure (placard in door jam). Plug these two numbers into a Load Inflation Chart and the chart indicates how much load the factory tire carries at the factory recommended pressure. For us, this is the minimum load carrying capacity the new/replacement tire must be able to carry.

We do this because tires are pneumatic and load carrying capacity changes with pressure. Due to this, and for handling purposes, vehicle manufacturers build in a margin of safety into the tires. Original equipment tires rarely, if ever, just meet the GAWR. To ensure our safety standards are on par, all the tires we sell for vehicles driven on the street must meet or exceed the requirements set by the vehicle manufacture.

In this particular case, your 03 came factory with 98 load index tires which at placard pressure (32psi) carry 1492lbs each. The 315/35R-17 NT05R has a 93 load index and only carries a maximum load of 1433 lbs. I know the difference is minimal but again the focus is on maintaining the load carrying capacity of the factory tire at the factory pressure.

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting the tire size you want, R3dfireCobra. I'll do my best to clear up the confusion.

There are a number of factors that come into play when we are verifying tire fitments. One of them is load index. We look at the factory tire's load index and the factory recommended air pressure (placard in door jam). Plug these two numbers into a Load Inflation Chart and the chart indicates how much load the factory tire carries at the factory recommended pressure. For us, this is the minimum load carrying capacity the new/replacement tire must be able to carry.

We do this because tires are pneumatic and load carrying capacity changes with pressure. Due to this, and for handling purposes, vehicle manufacturers build in a margin of safety into the tires. Original equipment tires rarely, if ever, just meet the GAWR. To ensure our safety standards are on par, all the tires we sell for vehicles driven on the street must meet or exceed the requirements set by the vehicle manufacture.

In this particular case, your 03 came factory with 98 load index tires which at placard pressure (32psi) carry 1492lbs each. The 315/35R-17 NT05R has a 93 load index and only carries a maximum load of 1433 lbs. I know the difference is minimal but again the focus is on maintaining the load carrying capacity of the factory tire at the factory pressure.

On a side note, I looked at the NT555R Drag Radial and this model in the 315/35R-17 size carries a 102 load index which is more than enough for your application. Here's the link with more details if you're interested:

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
i had the same problem ordering. You'll have no problem running these tires, I run them in a full weight cobra. its more just so you cant sue them *IF* something happened.

my first order got canceled , then I placed a new order and when it asked for vehicle info i put 2002 camaro ss . If theres any question after that tell them its a drag only car that is not street driven and it has a lot of weight removed .

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
This is the absolute DUMBEST shit I've ever heard. I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of tires from from DT over the years. Great way to lose customers.

If someone is ordering tires over the internet its NONE OF YOUR ****ING BUSINESS what they do with them.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up ordering a set from AM as I had a voucher and with the forum discount.. I will keep this in mind next time I order a set of tires, however the thing that gets me is that these tires do meet the load rating! GVW for rear is 2225 and max load rating of each tire is 1433. 1433 times 2 is 2866, well over the GVWR for the rear of the car just saying... Also, one has to realize this car is modified and well under factory weight for both front and rear. A simple disclaimer stating if we sell you these tires you are at your own risk would also suffice. Just a better way to do business in my opinion.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
On a side note, I looked at the NT555R Drag Radial and this model in the 315/35R-17 size carries a 102 load index which is more than enough for your application. Here's the link with more details if you're interested:

The people that own these cars don't own them because of a GVWR rating, these aren't trucks, we're not gonna put hundreds of pounds of brick in the trunk.

Part of the reason we buy tires like the NT05R is the softer sidewall which is one of the things that makes the tire put down the power of these cars.
You recommend a different tire just because of its higher load index but don't think of the fact that that higher load index means a harder sidewall which will mean tire spin instead of traction.

Like mentioned above, you guys just need to have a box the buyer can check off releasing DT of any liability, and sell the damn tire to the guy with the cash willing to buy it.

Oh, and I'm a long time customer too .... bought wheels for my '95 SHO from you guys, and tires for about 5-6 other cars since then, and 3 cars currently in the driveway.
If DT declined me a sale because of a load index issue, you guys would forever lose a great customer.

Fix your way of doing business.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I hear where everyone is coming from and understand the frustration. At the end of the day, though, the products we sell for vehicles driven on the street have to be consistent with the standards set in place by the vehicle manufacturer. To ensure we meet that consistency 100%, we will only sell tires that meet the load specifications based on the original equipment tire/s load index and placard pressure.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I hear where everyone is coming from and understand the frustration. At the end of the day, though, the products we sell for vehicles driven on the street have to be consistent with the standards set in place by the vehicle manufacturer. To ensure we meet that consistency 100%, we will only sell tires that meet the load specifications based on the original equipment tire/s load index and placard pressure.

So I have to ask, if someone orders a set of tires, are you required by law to ask what vehicle they are going on?

If not, why ask the question?

Just fill the order and move on.

Can you imagine if VMP, Revan Racing, American Muscle or any other performance vender asked if the parts you were ordering were going to be used on the street or the track, and if it was not going on a track only car, the order was canceled.

How much business would they lose if they told you they could not sell you the parts for your street rod because they are not consistent with the standards set in place by the vehicle manufacturer.:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member

I can guarantee you with 100% consistency that if I have this sort of trouble buying tires next time then you can add me to the list of lost customers. A simple waiver is all that would be necessary. Hell, you don't even have to answer questions when buying tobacco products that are 100% guaranteed to kill you in time.

Not trying to chew you out, I understand you're the messenger. But you can send that message up the chain in you like.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So I have to ask, if someone orders a set of tires, are you required by law to ask what vehicle they are going on?

If not, why ask the question?

Just fill the order and move on.

There is not a law that I am aware of requiring the vehicle information but at the end of the day our customers safety is our top priority so we choose to only sell tires for vehicles driven on the street that meet the vehicle manufacturers load carry requirements.

Last edited:

97snakebite

Established Member
doesnt surprise me...they wouldn't even let me buy Triple 5s for my cobra...hwy even use them as a vendor when they cant even promise what we like/want

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
This is a result of corporate America. Most likely a response from a lawsuit.

I really can't fault the company and for sure not the sales guys.

And some need to watch their post/tone.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
So just tell them you are putting them on a Smart car or some silly little tiny car and then they can sell them to you because it will fall within the load range :)

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Some of you on here seriously need to learn to play the game and quit whining.

Use your brain for 3 minutes and you'd see quite clearly why this is being done and what the solution is.

Native

Established Member
Some of you on here seriously need to learn to play the game and quit whining.

Use your brain for 3 minutes and you'd see quite clearly why this is being done and what the solution is.

Way to chime in at the end like a hero lol. I don't think the point was "learning to play the game". Sure, we could just lie and say these are a present for our grandpa with a Viper but seriously. The point was the tires fit into the specifications of the vehicle's GVWR and shouldn't require a vehicle interview. Second, why have a DTD Rep on here if orders get shut down due to application as if any of us modified guys run the stock tire size. Especially a 12/13 yr old Cobra.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread