Werid Stumble

Pruitt146

Established Member
Weird Stumble

Ok guys looking for some input. My car has a TVS with 3.0" upper and 4lb lower, lethal return style, ID 1000's, Accufab, JLT RAI, full exhaust and I'm running 93 + Torco. So I had the car tuned this week and on the dyno she pulls like a freight train all the way to the top. Once the tuner hit the streets to dial it in we started to see a weird "hiccup". It started out doing it way down low at ~1200rpm like when you would pull away from a red light you would feel it. Then as the car heated up the "hiccup" would get more pronounced in other gears and rpm ranges. Most commonly at 2000-3000 rpms in 2nd or 3rd you could really feel it "breaking up". The weird part is even after 5 hours of driving and data logging we still couldn't nail down what was causing it. It doesn't do it at all under WOT. So last night I switched out the BR7EF's to TR-6's, gapped at .028, and that really helped. It took out the stumbled that was happening down low when first pulling away from stop signs and red lights. The "hiccup" between 2000-3000 is still there but much less pronounced. The "hiccup" only happens in 2nd and 3rd gear which is a little puzzling. I am still running stock coil packs and they have almost 87,000 miles on them so I'm not sure if I should just replace those to rule them out or not. I hope this makes sense to you guys. I'm no expert on cars and some of my terminology may not be exactly right. Thanks for any help or advice that you can share.

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Do you have a boost/vac gauge? If so how much boost/vac are you seeing when this happens?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did your tuner say anything about adjusting the Load With Failed MAF table? That has a big affect on driveability.

Pruitt146

Established Member
Did your tuner say anything about adjusting the Load With Failed MAF table? That has a big affect on driveability.

I'm not sure what any of that means. I can tell you that the guy that tuned it is the best in the area. He had the car for two days trying to tweak it out. I would be highly shocked if the problem was in the tune itself.

cj428mach

Established Member
Damn 21 psi on gas + torco? That sounds risky to me.

I can't believe the tuner can't find the problem. Have you tried loading your original tune and see if the problem goes away? Obviously don't get into boost but see if it takes care of the hiccup.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Yea its almost got to be in the tune. Many people running similar setups without issues.

jblood37

Established Member
I had the same problem when I had my car tuned with the returnless system. I went return and got a different tuner. Cured now! I tried different plugs, cops, cleaned maf, looked for vacuum leaks, etc. It was the tune.

Pruitt146

Established Member
Here is another question what should my fuel pressure be at idle? Right now it's set at 30psi on the nose. I've been reading and that seems to be ~10psi lower than most people run. I have the lethal 850rwhp Kit with id1000's if it matters.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Here is another question what should my fuel pressure be at idle? Right now it's set at 30psi on the nose. I've been reading and that seems to be ~10psi lower than most people run. I have the lethal 850rwhp Kit with id1000's if it matters.

Have you tried switching out the MAF with another identical one? So don't change size, just switch out a 3000 for a different 3000 (as an example). It's a critical component that easy to eliminate as the cause.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Base fuel pressure is usually set somewhere between 39-42 psi. The vacuum reference will pull it down to somewhere around 30psi, depending on how much vacuum the motor makes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread