Well its time...(motor advice needed)

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Stock 4.6 dohc, just basic bolt-ons, no boost or nitrous.

Engine has over 160K on it, still runs strong but its starting to show its age. Lotta smoke on start up, starting to puff smoke pretty consistently actually. Gas mileage going down hill, and theres some valvetrain noise starting to come about.

I almost own the car, I really dont wanna get rid of it, its still a really nice car inside and out, and its unique. I dont want to continue driving it this way because I dont wanna end up doing serious damage, so Im wondering how much it may be to just freshen the engine.

Nothing wild, just new valve seals, piston rings, have the block cleaned up etc...what does something like that cost on average? I know prices will vary from area to area so not lookin for an exact estimate. Is there anyhting I should know before I have something like this done? Thanks in advance for any input.

uofipilot

Established Member
Are you looking to forge it at least while its apart, or are you going to use the stock pistons and rods? I dont know what the cost would be, but obviously forging it is gonna be a bit more.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if your gonna do a tear it down your gonna replace everything you can and the motor will last another 160k, specifically you should replace the pistons, rods, rings, timing chains, have the heads hot tanked and cleaned up with a mild valve job if you have the cash is not abad idea, valve seals etc. and it should be fine.

Blow-n-by-u

Banned
I would beat the shit out of it till it dumps on you..then forge the internals and do a .20 over bore. Cams if you have the money..they you will be ready for a blower and have a motor that will handle a TON of power

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I would beat the shit out of it till it dumps on you..then forge the internals and do a .20 over bore. Cams if you have the money..they you will be ready for a blower and have a motor that will handle a TON of power

Yeah, beat on it so you throw a rod through the block or cost yourself a ton more money in machining costs.

If you believe its time, pull the motor have it built and call it a day.

SpittingCobra

Established Member

I hear this alot, and then I see at work trucks and things come in with huge holes in the block where a rod went through it. And all sorts of debris up in the valvetrain.

I say don't gamble, and use some better parts when you rebuild it, I'm sorry but the capabilities of the stock engine were never enough for me, I'd always want more.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member

:lol::lol: Just build it now, Then have a blast with it. Good luck:banana:

DTB

Established Member
How much you looking to spend?

If u don't wanna go forced induction one day id get one of those pre-assembled 5.0 or 5.3 bottom ends from modular pwrhse & just bolt back on ur stock h/c/I with some new seals until u have the cash to have those ported & what not.

If u plan 2 go FI one day then just keep ur stock crank & have ur bottom end forged for now & get some ford GT cams. Then add a blower wit some #'s of boost later

Users who are viewing this thread