Welding Mask Question

RacineRacing

Established Member
I am about to buy my first welding mask...anyone have any input on brand or specs I should look for. Any help would would be good.

Thank you

SVT4ME

Established Member
Ive seen one that has an auto dimmer device. The screen is clear and when any light source hits it, it goes dark. This way you could walk around with it on or see what your doing and then when the flash comes it goes dark. This way when you not welding/cutting or what ever you can see your work without removing the mask. Seemed like a neat thing to have and needs batteries to run.

JMD0346

Established Member
I use a Jackson brand hat. Its just a simple shield. Not all that auto stuff. Im old school!lol! I just cant get used to those. I own a steel fab shop. Ive been in it for 11 years. I still have the same jackson shield my dad bought me when i started.

BigRick

Whippled Roush
Established Member
You should be able to find the auto darkening one for about $100 anymore.
Heres a helmet my coworker painted for me when I had season tickets to the Bluejackets.I took it to a practice one day,snuck behind security and the ENTIRE team signed it as they headed to the locker room.

helmet1.gif

Captain Steve

Established Member
Tips..
* Lighter is better. The cheap feeling plastic helmet is a whole lot more comfortable than the heavier composite ones after an hour or so.

*Bigger lens is better. 4"x6" lenses let you see so much more.

*Get the correct lens for the type of welding you're going to be doing. It's not all the same. Ask your salesman when you're there. For instance, TIG welding Aluminum is MUCH brighter than TIG welding stainless. With the wrong lens, you'll either be frying your eyeballs or dialating your eyes too much (which I hear is just as bad). Ideally, you want to put your helmet down, weld, and put it up without your eyes having to adjust.

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
I got a nice auto darkening one from Sears, of all places. What's nice about the auto shades, is that they are adjustable from #9 to #12. With a standard helmet, you have to change out the lenses. PLus, starting the arc while effectively blind sucks. Spend the extra bucks for the auto shade - you'll thank yourself later.

Users who are viewing this thread