Welded Axle Tubes

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I wanted to see who in here has their axle tubes welded on their cars. When these cars first came out in 11-12 I remember seeing quite a few tubes twisted and it has me a little worried. If you have yours welded please respond on your power level and if your auto or manual.

CobraSam

Established Member
My Fox with a 8.8 is stitch welded at 12,3,6,9 o’clock. Also braced with weld on braces underneath the diff. 35 spline axles, spool.
Car makes about 750 rwhp.
C4 auto, with MT Street R’s.
If your car is going to the track and being launched with sticky tires, can’t hurt to do it. Shit, my last Fox with only about 500rwhp was stitched welded in the same way. For the little effort it takes to do it, why not?
I feel it’s one of those things like axles, t-5 trannys and stock block Windsor 302’s. There’s plenty of people who have defied the odds and made good power through parts that were supposed to break. The argument can go both ways. But, I always like things that are little effort, but potentially can help out.
in other words, might as well weld them up!! If you spin an tube, you’re gonna say to yourself “I should’ve welded the tubes” lol

PC03GT

Established Member
13 vortech gt, m82, 670 to the wheels. The rear is braced with welded axle tubes, was done for piece of mind more than anything, along with strange s trac, 35 spline axles and c clip eliminators

Reaper14

Established Member
14 whippled on 10 psi korn fed mt82 here. No idea on power. Tack welded & braced. Im about to re weld once I buy a press to do a rear gear with.

Vic

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Welded and braced on my 12 GT. I had my 8.8 built by Moser a few years back and it has taken some 1.3 60ft times.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Thanks guys, unfortunately my rear is neither braced or welded. Im glad I posted up as I think I've been lucky so far. Sounds like this is something I will do before my next track visit for sure.

After looking at my car the driver's side wheel sits forward about 1/2 in more than the passenger side (not centered). This is either from my relocation brackets or the tube has already started to twist. I think my rear was not 100 percent true leaving the factory because we really had to fight that lower control arm when swapping it. Only way to tell is to pull the rear and find someone with a jig. It also sounds like some lower adjustable control arms are in my future so I can make sure my rear is truly centered. Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PC03GT

Established Member
Thanks guys, unfortunately my rear is neither braced or welded. Im glad I posted up as I think I've been lucky so far. Sounds like this is something I will do before my next track visit for sure.

After looking at my car the driver's side wheel sits forward about 1/2 in more than the passenger side (not centered). This is either from my relocation brackets or the tube has already started to twist. I think my rear was not 100 percent true leaving the factory because we really had to fight that lower control arm when swapping it. Only way to tell is to pull the rear and find someone with a jig. It also sounds like some lower adjustable control arms are in my future so I can make sure my rear is truly centered. Thanks for the responses.

Do you have adjustable lowers?? A lot of times the rear isn't centered from the factory

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Do you have adjustable lowers?? A lot of times the rear isn't centered from the factory
No I have the non adjustable poly ones from BMR. I never thought I would go this far with the car..... Seems like I say that with every car......lol

I agree it more than likely came this way from the factory. When you add the relocation brackets it amplifies the amount it's off. Either way I need to reenforce the tubes, were about to swap a gen 2 bottom end on the car and pulley down. Keep the feedback coming fellas.

PC03GT

Established Member
No I have the non adjustable poly ones from BMR. I never thought I would go this far with the car..... Seems like I say that with every car......lol

I agree it more than likely came this way from the factory. When you add the relocation brackets it amplifies the amount it's off. Either way I need to reenforce the tubes, were about to swap a gen 2 bottom end on the car and pulley down. Keep the feedback coming fellas.

Yeah, definitely get the adjustable lowers. I have the bmr spherical/poly, no problems and nvh isn't bad either

Norm Peterson

Established Member
After looking at my car the driver's side wheel sits forward about 1/2 in more than the passenger side (not centered). This is either from my relocation brackets or the tube has already started to twist.
Relo brackets apply more torque to the axle tubes because they act on a longer lever arm, so you can't discount the relo brackets as having no blame here. The LCA force for a given amount of traction decreases, just not as fast as the lever arm gets longer.

The only reason I can think of for welding the tubes on the car would be if you didn't mind having the rear axle "bend" and put a little negative camber on the rear wheels. I know of a few road racers who have intentionally used heat (and a bit of extra force) to give a little negative rear camber, but I imagine that'd be all wrong for peoples' purposes here.

Norm

Reaper14

Established Member

How much psi are you going to turn it up to with a gen 2 block? Keeping same heads?

Vic

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
How much psi are you going to turn it up to with a gen 2 block? Keeping same heads?

Vic

For the street ill be running a 79mm pulley which should be about 10-11 psi. For track duty ill run a 69mm, not sure what kind of boost it will make.... id guess close to 15 psi. For reference the car currently has a 82mm pulley.

Heads will be stock gen 1 with Boss springs and L&M intake cams.

SS lol

Established Member
Image1608476823.110199.jpg
CHE axle brace brace is all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I wanted to see who in here has their axle tubes welded on their cars. When these cars first came out in 11-12 I remember seeing quite a few tubes twisted and it has me a little worried. If you have yours welded please respond on your power level and if your auto or manual.

Mine are welded. 1000 rwhp stick car.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Welded and braced here, "since" 500 rwhp.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Your post has been properly edited John.

Appreciate everyone's feedback, mine will definitely be reinforced before it sees the track again.

Users who are viewing this thread