Weird Startup??

Coosawjack

Established Member
Ever since I got this car I've wondered what would happen while the starter was cranking after I release the key....if I let the clutch out in Neutral of course??:cool: So, I tried it yesterday and as expected the started stopped as soon as the clutch was released!!;)

What I didn't expect was what happened when I tried to start it again.......it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders pumping lotsa smoke out the exhaust and stalled when I tried to rev it up......WTF??:eek:

I let it sit for about 30 seconds and tried again and it lit up OK but was still rough and smokey for about 10 second then sounded, ran and drove normally!!:)

Wonder what stopping the starter did since it NORMALLY stays engaged until the engine starts even with the key returned to the "Run" position......guess the PCM got confused and had to think about it a few minutes??:rolleyes:

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Does it have long tubes? I just had a problem similar to this and one of my o2 sensors ended up going bad. Sorry read it wrong you were trying to do it.

5lho

Established Member
Had this happen randomly on my 2012 a couple times and had the delayed starter shutoff once or twice on my 14 as well, especially when I was running e85. The system is smart and will wait til it detects lightoff and then shut off the starter. I've had the smokeshow and rough running as the motor tries to digest a slug of fuel in a cold cylinder. No damage done but, dramatic.

Users who are viewing this thread