Weird check engine (wrench) light..Looking for insight.

SVTStampede

Established Member
2012 5.0, has a Magnuson supercharger, stock throttle body, C&L meter with AED tune. Problem was present with the Magnuson tune and stock meter. Just listing that for completeness.

Over the last year I've had a weird check engine light that has shown up about 4-5 times. The weird thing is that it doesn't give me a code usually, even if I hook up the Xcal and check with the light ono_O. The one time it gave me a code it was P2135.

When it happens I think it is always at low RPM (1500-2000), and it feels like the throttle body is sticking. RPMs will hang as if cruise control is on.

If I shut the car off and restart it, everything goes back to normal and the light goes off.

Otherwise the car runs great, but hoping someone has some insight on this gremlin. It did this with the Magnuson supplied tune and with my current AED tune as I said. It did not do this before the supercharger, so it has to be something mechanical or electrical.

EDIT: To be clear, it is the "Wrench" light, not the "Engine" light.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me. It's in limp mode. It's been awhile so I'll try to remember as much as I can.

First, I thought it was the TB. I cleaned the inside but it came back occasionally. The connector had some play in it (slide back and forth) so I cleaned the pins, reinserted it, and made the connection tight with electrical tape. Also, did an idle relearn. It went a few months until the symptom came back.

Thought maybe it was the wiring I did for the WOTbox. Rechecked the wiring, applied more solder to some areas. Problem still there.

I read about someone getting this code when turning on the heater and having it blow out the bottom (foot area). I figured I'd try it so I wrapped the exposed area on the wiring bundle (under dash to the left) with plastic and zip ties. I rerouted the wiring for the JMS BAP and secured it so it wouldn't move around (had it just hanging previously). Also, removed the electrical tape on the TB connector, cleaned pins and, instead of electrical tape, I secured it with heatshrink. It's been about a year (not too sure but it's been awhile) since I got that code or limp mode.

basspro302

Established Member
Most likely its a bad throttle body it happens then tps1 and tps2 dont agree so it shuts the t/b. I see it all the time 90% of the time it needs a new throttle body.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I don't have any soldered connections, and I have rechecked my plug connection(throttle body) since my problem first showed up.

The only thing worth mentioning is that when I did install the supercharger, I cleaned the throttle body(the opening) with electrical contact cleaner. I wonder now If I compromised something.

The problem is minor and almost never shows up, but I'd like to eliminate it anyway.

Most likely its a bad throttle body it happens then tps1 and tps2 don't agree so it shuts the t/b. I see it all the time 90% of the time it needs a new throttle body.

All I can hear is that I need to upgrade to a new larger throttle body. ;)

I'll probably give that a shot.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Update:

Since people don't always update problems like this, thought I would.

I installed a new throttle body(accufab 84.5) and the problem has not resurfaced....and the car seems to have picked up a decent amount of power. :cool:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

Since people don't always update problems like this, thought I would.

I installed a new throttle body(accufab 84.5) and the problem has not resurfaced....and the car seems to have picked up a decent amount of power. :cool:

How long has the new TB been in?

SVTStampede

Established Member
About a month, but the big verification is in the amount I've driven. Probably as much in the last month as I normally do in 3-4. It's not normally my daily driver.

Knock on wood....

Users who are viewing this thread