Weird brake pedal sensation at lightly touching it

XP900

Established Member
Brake pedal issue
Okay here is one that no one probably ran into yet but hopefully somebody did.

I had to remove my brake master cylinder to replace the reservoir (long story as to why) when separating my clutch and brake systems. I also had to remove the inside clutch/brake pedal bracket assembly to pull out the clutch reservoir to replace the supply line to it.
Put everything back together, bench pressured the brake MC and then pressure bled the brakes. Putting the inside brake/clutch bracket back in was a real PITA.

Here is my issue. I have a weird feeling when I first touch my brake pedal. Almost feels like an oscillation (kinda like if you had warped rotors and was pressing on the pedal at high speed but nowhere near that severe.) This is really occurring before I really even have any braking taking place. It is when you are taking up the slop or slack in the pedal before the pads are really even touching the rotors. I know Ford had some important notes about the clutch and brake pedal procedures so I am wondering if I did not pay enough attention to them. I am also wondering if I did not get the pedals exactly back in the original bolt down positions and causing some kind of angling issue with the pedal assembly. I may have to remove the entire inside bracket again and recheck everything if no one has seen this.
It is not rotor runout .....it doesn't always do it and I have felt it at 3 mph in parking lots. It could be something rubbing or needs lubrication??? If I hit the pedal multiple times it seems to go away and then reappears after several minutes. My brakes are firm and pedal height is high with no air in the system. SS lines installed with the Ford Big Brake kit two years ago.

Another gremlin to fix on my car!

Last edited:

HKusp

Established Member
I agree with CatMonkey. Find someone with a Snap-on scanner or similar that can command the ABS module to bleed the brake system.

XP900

Established Member
Thanks. The more I think about it it does feel like the ABS since I feel a slight oscillation and not so much of a rubbing issue....but nothing close to what you would normally feel when your ABS kicks in. Yes, I had to completely remove the MC, bench press it and place back on the booster. It is possible I have an air bubble trapped in the ABS.

It is either air or I have a pedal /switch issue and I will need to read the manual. There are at least two switches on the brake system and a weird contraption that I put back on and I remember it stating not to reuse and replace with a new part....of course I didn't since it looked fine to me and I was able to get it back on with a little effort. Maybe I am activating the ABS via a pedal switch issue for a split second due to slop or mal-adjustment now. Ordering the new part that I was supposed to replace and then seeing if one of my foreign scanners can help with an ABS bleed if needed.

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread