Weird 95 gt problem, try and help

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
So my car is doing the weirdest thing.

When I am driving and I put the clutch in to shift to say 2nd to 3rd, the rpms shoot up.

It also seems like the car drives with cruise control on but I dont have any cruise control.

I dont remember any of my other mustangs doing this so I am at a loss.

I have already checked the throttle return spring, no problem there, the petal isnt getting stuck either.

It is so strange, even if you rev the motor in neutral the rpms seem like they hang forever before coming back down.

On another forum, I have been told to change the tps sensor, any thoughts

Silver03Termi

Established Member
sounds like a tps to me. my 95gt never did that, but my bike did and replacing its tps fixed it. i know they are not the same, but the sensor serves the same function on these 2 applications even tho one has 2 wheels and the other 4. there is a way of testing the tps, throttle position sensor, should be rather simple. should be as easy as unplugging it and testing the voltage to it at different throttle positions. if the problem is intermitent, its likely a sensor, not mechanical. also...check to see if the idle is set correctly, is there a little screw that might be adjustable on the throttle body? keep it simple when trouble shooting.

Last edited:

04SVT-L

Established Member
make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks too. that could cause that. also wen testing ur tps if ur using a DMM it should read .5v wen throttle is not open and then 5.0v wen you are at wot. the volts should progress smoothly higher as you push the throttle more

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
I recently cleaned the mass air not but two weeks ago. this started after I cleaned. :(

What did you clean it with? Is there any remote possibility you could have touched anything too harsh? Them things are little bastards when it comes to sensitivity. And the slightest screw up will cause nightmares.

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
I used the air mass cleaner spray from autozone.

I might try and just order a new sensor and tube from c&l but I dont want to waste the money if thats not the problem.

302N20

Established Member
After cleaning you MAF and IAC if the problem is still there go to your throttle body. If it is aftermarket (can't remember if the stock one has this) but there is an adjustment screw on the Throttle body near the IAC and it is open too much letting extra air in after you let off the throttle to shift. Tighten that screw starting a 1/2 turn at a time, drive it and see if it improves. If it don't give it another 1/2 turn and repeat.

Try this before wasting money on sensors.

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
After cleaning you MAF and IAC if the problem is still there go to your throttle body. If it is aftermarket (can't remember if the stock one has this) but there is an adjustment screw on the Throttle body near the IAC and it is open too much letting extra air in after you let off the throttle to shift. Tighten that screw starting a 1/2 turn at a time, drive it and see if it improves. If it don't give it another 1/2 turn and repeat.

I will give this a look see , thanks

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

+1

COuld also just need to clean the TB/IAC.

ANd, since this happened after cleaning the MAF, could be mispositioned now, or the MAF to TB tube isn't correct and is now bringing in unmetered air.

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
+1

COuld also just need to clean the TB/IAC.

ANd, since this happened after cleaning the MAF, could be mispositioned now, or the MAF to TB tube isn't correct and is now bringing in unmetered air.

when you say it could be mispositioned, it should be at the 12 oclock position correct.

I am wondering if maybe the c&l meter is just bad

Users who are viewing this thread