weight loss program

sleeper89

Established Member
does anybody have suggestions on where to start my cars diet. its an 89 coupe, and i've already lost the spare tire. i would like to concentrate mostly on dropping front end weight or at least moving it to the trunk. i was looking into moving my battery to the trunk but then heard horror stories about charging/starting issues due to the distance of the battery from the starter.

any tips?

BTW, she's a daily driver and i don't want a gutted interior. i think i might strip the sound padding though, i just don't want the cold, comfortless metal interior.

Dustyn

Established Member
I would definetly do the battery to the trunk deal. I did on my 95 and it works fine. Just get an optima red top sealed battery and one of those battery box kits from summit. The kit comes with everything including 2oct cable. I haven't had any probs with mine starting charging etc. Mine stays parked for months with the DEI alarm pulling off it and starts up fine. I would get rid of the heavy wheels to start with maybe some steeda ultra lite rims. My 95 weighs around 3200 empty on gas. Oh aluminium drive shaft is another thing I would get and aluminium heads.

sleeper89

Established Member
thanks man. i was going to do the battery before and then heard a couple bad luck stories. i think i will do it now for sure though. wheels are also on my list of future mods but the ones i have now are pretty light still. i couldnt believe it when i picked up a ten hole wheel in one hand and my current 5spokes in the other. aluminum heads are another thing i'd like to do but that won't be any time soon. i've got a pretty good engine combo right now and have since started on suspension. i figure if i can lose a little weight it'll help both my straight line AND cornering performance. (not to mention braking as well.)

Dustyn

Established Member
I would do the aluminium drive shaft if you haven't done that. there around 150 dollars and they also take a little vibration out of the top of fourth gear. Yeah alot to do in the suspension. I can't really give advice there becauseI haven't went into that part of the car. I hear the maxium motorsports LCA's are good. :beer:

sleeper89

Established Member
i put the lakewood traction/action lca's on my car and they plant the tires like crazy. i also went with the eibach pro kit springs. i've heard nothing but good tihings about the max motorsports parts and plan on using their subframe connectors and possibly even their torque arm setup. ah, a mustangs mods are never done.

Users who are viewing this thread