We need Ford/SVT to hear our voices... 2020 GT500 manual transmission petition/request/thread

bfgtim

Established Member
I've owned 3 mustangs and all were sticks

The new gt 500 needs to have a manual trans option

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have several mustangs, all manual. I have a current generation M3 in a manual (I will not but another if not 3 pedals), I have several other vehicles, manual. I wish our NGT was a manual, but it isnt. My interest in the GT500 is limited with out a manual. BUT Im sure not holding my breath for one. Rumors I hear, it was a miracle that this car has made it this far (vs being killed) so the chances of a re design, validations etc, seem like a long shot bet I wouldn't make. Save the manuals for sure, and I hope they continue forever, in some fashion.

Recon

Established Member
No manual, not even a thought. I like almost everything about the car, but the no manual option is a deal breaker.
08 Roush 427R - manual trans
07 GT - manual trans
04 Mach 1 - manual trans
Future buys -
04 GT - manual trans
Another 08 Roush 427R - manual trans
Getting ready to buy a diesel truck that will also be a manual trans.
Manual trans for life.

Pick your poison.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have 4 Mustangs, all are manual including a 2014 GT500 with 1000rwhp thru a magnum XL.
I will order a 2020 GT500 with the top performance trans, the DCT.
I love manual transmissions, and if it doesn’t compromise Ford’s production of this model, I think a manual trans should be offered. I’d still take the DCT
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
If they don't offer a manual I'm 100% looking for a low-mile 13-14 car instead of holding out and saving up for this. The DCTs will set the blistering times at the dragstrip but the manual will have the true enthusiasts' hearts. Not everyone is like Bimini and can have their cake and eat it too. If I can only have one I want a manual and the 6070 for no compromises.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Just thinking about this, I want a manual. Can't do an auto.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just thinking about this, I want a manual. Can't do an auto.

Have you ever driven a DCT?
If so, please list specific models and years.
The 3 modern DCTs I’ve driven on track have been as engaging as a manual. (‘15 Ferrari 458, ‘16 Cayman GTS, ‘17 Ferrari 488GTB).
The GT500 has to be the best performance car Ford can produce. If they have the budget to also produce a lesser performance manual trans GT500 then I support it, but if not, that’s just reality and you can buy a GT350 easily for die hard stick guys.
-J

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an Audi RS5 with their 7 speed DCT. It's good... Real good. But it's no manual. I would rather have a manual any day.

The main reason the Audi is good is that it has a lever rather than a twirly knob. The lever allows for easy selection between Comfort, Dynamic, and manual shift modes mid corner, mid on-ramp, or mid passing manuever. It's simple and fun.

Sent using the svtperformance.com mobile app

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The 3 modern DCTs I’ve driven on track have been as engaging as a manual. (‘15 Ferrari 458, ‘16 Cayman GTS, ‘17 Ferrari 488GTB).
The GT500 has to be the best performance car Ford can produce. If they have the budget to also produce a lesser performance manual trans GT500 then I support it, but if not, that’s just reality and you can buy a GT350 easily for die hard stick guys.
-J

Wow, that's pretty compelling to hear you say that. My opinion is gradually coming around to the idea of a DCT. Nobody likes looking at tail-lights and a manual will be notably slower. We all originally liked manuals because properly driven they were faster than autos and way more rewarding. Going slower is a major buzzkill though. And having an auto in Denver traffic is much preferred, not that it would happen often but summer traffic here is terrible. I'd imagine pulling magnesium paddles would be pretty cool in its own right.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Something will be lost with the dct. The option should exist.

Ford knew this with the gt350, it just doesn't have enough power to satisfy everyone.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
-J

The OP was pretty clear in stating if you like the DCT then good for you, go buy this car. For everyone else that wanted a manual GT500 this thread is a message to Ford.

I like how people bench race this car with the DCT stating how much “faster” it will be than a manual transmission when we all know that 99.9% of these cars will be weekend show cars and “drive my car to work on a Friday to show off”. Stop with the 1/6000 shift time nonsense. If anything this car will be quicker stock for stock from the 14 GT500 only because it will have a drag/Track radial tire unlike that crap Ford put on the previous GT500s.

Back to the point of the thread

I have owned almost every model Mustang. 68 GT350 - manual, 08 GT500 - manual. I like many was looking forward to the new GT500 which should have come out 5 years ago. I will not be purchasing an AutoTragic GT500. Not ever. Ford, if your listening, do the right thing.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I would also like to see a manual, but I wish if they could only do one transmission that they had used the A10 they co-developed with GM. I have that in my ZL1. A DCT might be slightly faster, but the A10 has a way better ratio spread.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I don’t buy one. That’s pretty simple.

Exactly. So why blather? No manual, no buy for you.

Simple indeed.

If anything this car will be quicker stock for stock from the 14 GT500 only because it will have a drag/Track radial tire unlike that crap Ford put on the previous GT500s.

Quite simply, no.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Exactly. So why blather? No manual, no buy for you.

Simple.

Quite simply, no.

Good point. The Goodjunk run flats were awesome. Paul Walker might agree with you....

No manual no buy for me? I wonder if that’s Fords new slogan? Hey Ford, how are all those car sales going??? Taurus??? Maybe if they start listening to their customers they might actually retain them? Just a thought, but hey I’m not a super moderator.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Good point. The Goodjunk run flats were awesome. Paul Walker might agree with you....

No manual no buy for me? I wonder if that’s Fords new slogan? Hey Ford, how are all those car sales going??? Taurus??? Maybe if they start listening to their customers they might actually retain them? Just a thought, but hey I’m not a super moderator.

Not that he needs any backup but lay off the mod man, he’s just saying his opinion, and you’re saying yours. Why make it personal?

I have a 1200whp stick car and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

Stick is fun in a gt350r with 4.56 gears and sticky a7 tires or similar.

I just spent 2 hours driving a 300whp daily driver with a close ratio 6spd stick around. Lots 3-4 shifts pulling well into 120mph. With a 750whp car, your lucky to get traction at 50mph, and you end up pansy footing it from a dig.

My point is I’m right there with you about liking to drive my own damn car, but at the power the car will make, the dct just makes more sense.

There’s a sliver market where you or I will buy even a 2000hp car with a stick, but ford can’t go through the cost to do that for such a small market.

I might have chest hair on my ball sack and more testosterone than a raging buffalo, but the average well heeled buyer getting a 750ho car is late middle aged and on irrectile disfunctjon medication, let’s be real. You think the vast majority of that segment wants to deal with a clutch? They can barely deal with walking up the stairs these days from blown knees to hernias and so on. Let’s say they have perfect health for 45-75yrs old, and no aches or pains. They’ve earned their money and want some semblance of ease in their hot rodding. They’re spending their hard earned cash on their gift to themself. Why is every demon an automatic only? Why isn’t there a manual mcClaren P1? Why isn’t there a manual Nissan GTR R35? Why isn’t there a manual Porsche 918? It doesn’t sell.

You want manual and 700-1500hp, current market options are dodge hellcats, Chevy stuff, and ford bullitts/gt350’s and adding upgrade boutique packages or building boost setups. That’s the market. Bashing mods and or ford for keeping with reality isn’t going to magically change anything.

I’m 30, when I’m 50 and comfortably able to buy an inflation adjusted $100000 car like it’s a magazine, I’ll probably be fine with an auto as I nurse a broken hip and bad knee or whatever.

Last edited:

boosted281

Established Member
I hate to be “that guy” but I highly doubt Ford Exec’s lay in their beds at night in fear that SVTperformance guys aren’t going to buy their car. This is the same group that frequently discusses the $10k, $20k, $30k even $50k ADM and you think they give two squirts of duck poop a handful of guys won’t buy it? I’ll gladly purchase this car and anyone who thinks I’m less of a man for not opting for the third pedal can carry on thinking that while I enjoy the best thing Ford has ever produced!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread