We may as well give up

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I tried listening to adam, but his voice is ****ing annoying. The guy crashed a bmw and was crying the whole time, it was on a televised show.
LOL
I stick to JRE and the smoking tire. also some comedy podcasts.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm indifferent on how i feel towards this article. I'm 27, so technically a "millennial," but i know how to do all of those things. My mother however, refuses to even try things and "I don't know how to do that" are always the first things out of her mouth. Mom ... did you even try? Doesn't matter, she doesn't possess the knowledge already so naturally she cant do it.

I think this article is just pandering for clicks. There's helpless people in every generation.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
These things are extremely jaded and the surveys that take pick up a lot of metropolitan kids that couldn't recognize a hay ball from a hole in the head.

Come to the south, the west, mid west, and anywhere that people actually don't live two cockroach farts away from one another, and you'll find it's wrong. I'm technically a millennial, and so are many of my friends. These are the guys riding around in self built twin turbo cobra's and turbo LSx cars.

They are also stringers, linemen, oil pipe workers, tugg boat hands, carpenters etc. Hardly what i'd call inept.

CV355

_
Established Member
Get ready, because here comes optimism!

...that just makes those of us who can change a lightbulb worth more from an economic standpoint. If everybody is good at something, that something is a competitive market. The dumber society gets, intelligence and ability become more valuable by less competition. Well, until society gets SO dumb that they stop valuing ability altogether and just lump up like a giant fungus.

It's getting close to that point. I saw an e-stop button on a system today that had padding around the edges of the bump guard. If you're so inept that you hurt yourself while hitting a 2" red button, maybe you should consider a different career path...

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm indifferent on how i feel towards this article. I'm 27, so technically a "millennial," but i know how to do all of those things. My mother however, refuses to even try things and "I don't know how to do that" are always the first things out of her mouth. Mom ... did you even try? Doesn't matter, she doesn't possess the knowledge already so naturally she cant do it.

I think this article is just pandering for clicks. There's helpless people in every generation.
Are you my brother?

My mom does this exact same thing. "Can you come over and show me how to hook up the gas to the grill?" "Is it not threading? They are reverse thread." "I don't know I haven't tried it yet."

Same thing with a TV stand she bought. "I cant figure out this TV stand, there are too many pieces, I'll make you dinner to put it up." I get there and it's in the box, still taped shut.

When ever she calls about something electronic, the first thing I ask is if it's plugged in. That one bit me twice.

The worst thing about my parents splitting up is they apparently forgot how to do everything. For 30 years if it required any sort of physical movement my dad did it and if it had anything to do with business my mom did it.

Now I'm stuck doing both.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you my brother?

My mom does this exact same thing. "Can you come over and show me how to hook up the gas to the grill?" "Is it not threading? They are reverse thread." "I don't know I haven't tried it yet."

Same thing with a TV stand she bought. "I cant figure out this TV stand, there are too many pieces, I'll make you dinner to put it up." I get there and it's in the box, still taped shut.

When ever she calls about something electronic, the first thing I ask is if it's plugged in. That one bit me twice.

The worst thing about my parents splitting up is they apparently forgot how to do everything. For 30 years if it required any sort of physical movement my dad did it and if it had anything to do with business my mom did it.

Now I'm stuck doing both.

LOL !!

CV355

_
Established Member
ALSO! With the sheer volume of hand-holding apps, processes, and systems in place, it's no wonder anyone can't think or do for themselves anymore. Google this. Alexa that. Rubbish. Get off my lawn. Back in my day, you had to write your shopping list on a notepad! Fooey.

I work in automation for a living. Some things should not be automated.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
My neighbor usually calls me when he has a problem and one time he said his computer would turn on so the obvious first thing I check is the power and he had everything plugged into his power strip................including the power strip itself. :confused:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Get ready, because here comes optimism!

...that just makes those of us who can change a lightbulb worth more from an economic standpoint. If everybody is good at something, that something is a competitive market. The dumber society gets, intelligence and ability become more valuable by less competition. Well, until society gets SO dumb that they stop valuing ability altogether and just lump up like a giant fungus.

It's getting close to that point. I saw an e-stop button on a system today that had padding around the edges of the bump guard. If you're so inept that you hurt yourself while hitting a 2" red button, maybe you should consider a different career path...
I do well because there are few and far between that can do what I do for a living.

giphy (1).gif

Voltwings

Established Member
ALSO! With the sheer volume of hand-holding apps, processes, and systems in place, it's no wonder anyone can't think or do for themselves anymore. Google this. Alexa that. Rubbish. Get off my lawn. Back in my day, you had to write your shopping list on a notepad! Fooey.

I work in automation for a living. Some things should not be automated.

See, I see the exact flip side of this. With youtube and google there is exactly 0 reason to not know how to do something (within reason obviously). I guess it is just a matter of initiative though, which i definitely see as a growing problem.

CV355

_
Established Member
See, I see the exact flip side of this. With youtube and google there is exactly 0 reason to not know how to do something (within reason obviously). I guess it is just a matter of initiative though, which i definitely see as a growing problem.

No, it's not the opposite- I agree with you. More knowledge than ever is accessible at your fingertip- yes. And you're spot on that there's a lack of initiative. I'm more-so targeting hand-holding apps and devices that instill laziness and allow lack of initiative. How about that freakin' self-inventory refrigerator that connects to Facebook... Who needs that? Who in the history of humanity has ever needed that?

Convenience and laziness walk a fine edge. I'm all for work smarter, not harder, but damn there's a limit haha.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I do agree with this.

We have the ability to look up anything, almost anywhere in the world at any time. There isn't a lot of excuse unless it's super technical. The biggest downside to that is it's easy to forget how to do something knowing you can look it right back up.

I do think it's silly to make fun of people for using the resources to look something up, at least they are trying. My best friend's wife was talking about this, I guess some older ladies were talking about how their kids always use youtube to learn how to do shit and they can't figure it out on their own. That's a direct reflection of at least some lack of parenting. If your dad knew how to change a tire and never passed that on, that's a loss in my book.

PS I'm not going after you CV. Just speaking in general.

Never_Enough

Established Member
No, it's not the opposite- I agree with you. More knowledge than ever is accessible at your fingertip- yes. And you're spot on that there's a lack of initiative. I'm more-so targeting hand-holding apps and devices that instill laziness and allow lack of initiative. How about that freakin' self-inventory refrigerator that connects to Facebook... Who needs that? Who in the history of humanity has ever needed that?

Convenience and laziness walk a fine edge. I'm all for work smarter, not harder, but damn there's a limit haha.
I will never buy crap like that refrigerator or Alexa etc. Useless garbage. I'm not a lazy dumbass.

Users who are viewing this thread