Waterpump

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
My water pump on my 96 cobra has a small leak. Should I buy a regular waterpump from FORD or is there is better one out there. Please help. Thanks.;-)

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I used an evans cooling pump when I rebuilt the motor. No problems...

http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm

EP3513R Ford 4.6 L 1996-2000 Mustang, 8 vane 4.0" O.D. aluminum impeller, 3/4" ball / roller bearing

Did you notice any kind of improvement in cooling with that pump?

I could be wrong, but I would be under the assumption that if it has a leak it's proably just the O ring, which you should be able to replace without replacing the whole thing.

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Did you notice any kind of improvement in cooling with that pump?

I could be wrong, but I would be under the assumption that if it has a leak it's proably just the O ring, which you should be able to replace without replacing the whole thing.

When I was getting the car tuned. My tuner mentioned that the car was running cooler than normal.

I have my stock pump if you need one for cheap...

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
SVTSTRIKESBACK, I was hoping for that but I remember a few times I heard a rumbling noise when I have come to a stop and put a earpiece on it and the pump is noisey.
STAMPEDE: Why not an electric pump on a street car? Just curious

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
OK, An electric pump can fail at any time without notice or warning.
You don't know until your running hot.

While a mechanical pump CAN do the same it is a lot less likely to do so.

If a bearing is getting bad you hear it, seal gets bad it leaks, if the belt breaks you will know it from the Volt gauge and other ways.
There are more signs of failure from mechanical with only 1 major sign on electrical and that is "Your shit is hot"
The only other failure sign is a seal leak and sometimes it then shorts the motor and quits.

1 other reason is the trade off for HP.
If it gains 5BHP it loses 2 back to the extra strain on the charging system. Not enough gain for the $$$ IMO

I've always used electric pumps on race cars but never on street cars. And I've had them fail also at the track.

JMO

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
Meziere was what I was looking for and what other pump do you recommend that is not electric. Remember I use the car about 200 miles a month so she sits alot. By the way guys thanks alot for your advise. Very very helpfull people here.:banana::beer::)

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
OK, An electric pump can fail at any time without notice or warning.
You don't know until your running hot.

While a mechanical pump CAN do the same it is a lot less likely to do so.

If a bearing is getting bad you hear it, seal gets bad it leaks, if the belt breaks you will know it from the Volt gauge and other ways.
There are more signs of failure from mechanical with only 1 major sign on electrical and that is "Your shit is hot"
The only other failure sign is a seal leak and sometimes it then shorts the motor and quits.

1 other reason is the trade off for HP.
If it gains 5BHP it loses 2 back to the extra strain on the charging system. Not enough gain for the $$$ IMO

I've always used electric pumps on race cars but never on street cars. And I've had them fail also at the track.

JMO

I like my Mezeire pump; it has been trouble free for many years. Also, they come with a 2-year warranty. I +1 what STAMP said except that with a broken belt I would much rather have an electric water pump. If your belt breaks, not unusual, and you have an e-pump at least you can drive the car home etc. In my experience, Yes, no power steering or power brakes isn't ideal, but you can still drive because you are still circulating coolant without a belt so overheating isn't a issue. A belt driven pump ain't spinning without said belt, aka call AAA.

What looks like a good alternative to an e-pump or OEM replacement is a Stewart EMP Performance Water Pump at less than half the cost of a Mezeire. It's new so long term "real world" quality I’m unfamiliar with. It's available at steeda. It wasn't available at the time I bought my Mezeire, but due to the cost savings, this is probably what I would get if I needed to buy another pump in the future.

http://www.steeda.com/products/stewart_emp_water_pumps.php

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
Shangsta: Does anybody here tried the 01 waterpump. I can get the part cheap from ford because well I used to work at a couple and my brother inlaw is a parts manager.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
with the 01+ WP's dont you have to use the newer style pulley as well? I belive the shaft is longer on it, so you need yo use a different pulley...

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
GR40, is the Stewart for a 2V OR will it work w/ any 4.6?

Inspired by top Ford 4.6 engine builder Sean Hyland, the new EMP Stewart Components Mustang Water Pump fills an industry void for a for a high performance water pump for this engine. Also perfect as a cost effective original equipment replacement upgrade, these pumps are available in both long and short versions fitting either of the two or four-valve 4.6 Mustang powerplants.

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FMUSTHPR

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
OK ok I just heard from my brother inlaw that the part is coming in tomorrow. I bought the 01 waterpump and tomorrow I will see if it all goes well. It shouldnt take me no more than an hour to put it on. I was really close to buying the meizere one but because of xmas time and my sons gift was a 90atv honda I will wait another time. Again thanks for the information guys.

Users who are viewing this thread