Water Usage Heat Exchanger

RLB01

Established Member
Have a 2007 that I purchased new. Years ago installed upgraded dual fan HE, intercooler pump, higher capacity reservoir, etc.. Recently I've noticed that water is disappearing from the reservoir at the rate of a pint per 150 miles. I can't find any leaks and concerned leak might be inside the intercooler. Have you had or known someone with this issue?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You shouldn't lose any. I'd pressurize it and check for leaks. A cracked intercooler will leak internally, so if it can't build pressure and it's not leaking from an obvious external location, stop. Were you running antifreeze? Intercooler cores are known to freeze and crack if your car was in freezing temps. Water pooling in the lower intake is not a good thing and could potentially hydrolock the engine.

ante

Established Member
Have a 2007 that I purchased new. Years ago installed upgraded dual fan HE, intercooler pump, higher capacity reservoir, etc.. Recently I've noticed that water is disappearing from the reservoir at the rate of a pint per 150 miles. I can't find any leaks and concerned leak might be inside the intercooler. Have you had or known someone with this issue?

If there is no signs of leaks at all externally, You probably have a leak in the brick under the blower and its being burnt in the combustion chamber. Very rare but possible in GT500 but actually very common in Audis.

RLB01

Established Member
UPDATE:
The small leak in the HE was not the culprit. Water still disappearing. Water must be in the cylinders, car is hard to start, missing with white smoke until motor is cleaned out. Motor then runs fine. Had the blower, etc. removed with no signs of water or leak. Pressure tested intercooler, connections, etc. with no leaks found.
I'm definitely at a loss! Hoping someone has heard of this issue and point me in the right direction...

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There is a scavenger hose that runs down the back of the supercharger. Disconnect it from the back of the supercharger and put some sort of suction on it. This will pull any fluid from the bottom of the manifold. If coolant comes out, your intercooler is leaking and pooling water in the bottom of the intake manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread