water spots on wing, never there before

spike_africa

Established Member
So i detail my car alot and its garaged. It has never had spot as its always clayed,polished,waxed etc. now all of a sudden its getting nasty water spots only on the wing of my GT. What do i need to do to get ride of them? re clay it polish and wax?

And why the hell is only my wing getting water spots?

danponjican

Established Member
I had some serious water etching on my wing of my 99 Cobra. If yours is anything like mine was, vinager won't touch it. As a matter of fact, compounding didn't even eliminate it. I had to wet sand. Check out the full write up I did on my blog. Scroll about half way down to the part about the wing. There's even a time-lapse video of the wet sanding on the trunk and wing.

http://detailinggurus.blogspot.com/2007/09/ive-been-doing-some-heavy-detailing-and.html

danponjican

Established Member
From what I can tell it's due to a couple of reasons. Mostly because of the slightly concave surface on our wings. If the car is parked on level surfaces, the center of the wing will pool up water. Standing water means that the minerals have plenty of time to eat away at the clear coat = etching.

whtsnke94

Established Member
makes you feel any better
mine had etching on the whole car even windows
nothing phased it rubbing compuond helped got about 95%off paint had to replace front and rear windshields
trying to find a good shop to wet sand and possibly reclear paint

Users who are viewing this thread