Water Intrusion............. A/C Drain Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
This is only for a water intrusion with the A/C on. If you are getting any water inside when it rains or you wash the truck, odds are that it's something else.

If your getting water (not coolant) in the passengers floorboard or smell a musty order in your truck check to see if the carpet under the floor mat is wet after the A/C has been on for a medium length drive. If it is follow these steps to get rid of the water intrusion for good.

First make sure that the fluid is in fact just water and not coolant from a leaking heater core.

Jack the truck up in the front and take off the right front wheel.
DSCN1421.jpg

Remove the four 5.5MM screws that run along the inside edge of the fender lip.
DSCN1428.jpg

Remove the five push pins that hold the inner fender well in the truck. 3 in front, 1 straight up and 1 under the fender side skirt.
DSCN1430.jpg

Unhook the ABS wheel speed sensor connector from the backside of the wheel well.

Remove the fender well.
DSCN1422.jpg

I had already done the repair on my truck before any interest in this repair came up so I used my truck and another SVTP member (JohninMD) so that you could see stock and the modified drain elbow.

This is the shield that needs to be removed from the
firewall. You can toss it in the trash when you get it off since it will not be reinstalled.
DSCN1409.jpg

It's hard to see but it is directly behind the passengers side cylinder head on the fire wall.
DSCN1408.jpg

DSCN1407.jpg

Remove the trans dipstick from the tube and then remove the 8MM bolt that holds the dipstick tube to the cylinder head.
DSCN1406.jpg

Remove the trans dipstick tube to make clearance to get your hands behind the cylinder head.

I found it a little easier to get my hand back there if I unhooked the O2 sensor and moved the connector out of the way. If it is still tight for you I also found that dropping down the passengers side cat pipe made it a little bit easier for my fat ass hands. (not the entire cat pipe, just take off the two nuts and let the flange drop down.)

The Navigators, Expy's and regular F-150's are much easier to install the drain elbow in place then on the Lightning's. It is REALLY tight on our setup!

Make sure to be really careful when you have your hand jammed in behind the cylinder head. The machined edge is razor sharp and it will cut you pretty deep. Ask me how I know. :bash:

This is the drain elbow that you are going to be installing. Ford part# F3LY-6A614-A It costs around $10.
DSCN1434.jpg

I found it made the install easier if you boil some water and let the rubber elbow soak in the boiling water for a few minutes. Also, adding some dish soap in the water will help with the install.

The shorter end of the elbow gets installed on the A/C drain with the long end of the elbow pointing straight down. I really had to work on mine for awhile before I could get the elbow to go on over the A/C drain.
DSCN1425.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

Once you've managed to wrestle that damn elbow on your done and you can reinstall all of the components.

You will notice that after you install the drain elbow that when the A/C is on and you get out of the truck after a short drive you might hear a slight small popping noise. It is normal. It's just the water dripping down onto the cat pipe and instantly boiling away.

Hope it helps.:beer:

E

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread