Water in fuel with E85

jblood37

Established Member
Has anyone had problems with the E85 drawing moisture from the air and getting the water in their fuel tank/fuel. Also, do you guys still let your tank vent as it did from the factory or are there any modifications that should be done here. I am going to E85 as soon as I can get time to install my return system and id1000s. Thanks in advance. :beer:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
E85 will absorb water more than regular gasoline. That said, from what I've been told, it's not good to let your car sit weeks at a time without driving it while using e85. However, it your driving it every week, you shouldn't have a problem. I think there are also fuel additives that help fight the water issue as wel.

jblood37

Established Member
E85 will absorb water more than regular gasoline. That said, from what I've been told, it's not good to let your car sit weeks at a time without driving it while using e85. However, it your driving it every week, you shouldn't have a problem. I think there are also fuel additives that help fight the water issue as wel.

I will be driving it at least once a week. What good will driving it do? Just mix the e85 with water that has accumulated lol?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i think he means more along the lines of youre driving it and draining/refilling the tank on a somewhat normal basis

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
i think he means more along the lines of youre driving it and draining/refilling the tank on a somewhat normal basis

Yes, if your driving the car, then there is no time for water to form and settle in the tank because your filling up regularly with a new tank of gas. However, this is a mute point if the station you get your gas from doesn't sell much e85 lol.

Last edited:

jblood37

Established Member
Yes, if your driving the car, then there is no time for water to form and settle in the tank because your filling up regularly with a new tank of gas. However, this is a mute point if the station you get your gas from doesn't sell much e85 lol.

Haha, thanks for clarifying! :beer: I didn't know how long it would take for enough water to accumulate in the tank to cause issues.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
E85 absorbs water from the air. Usually, in a closed system like a fuel tank there is little to no air if it's topped off.
So I usually fill her up before I store the car. But I always drive out the old gas before I race. Never had an issue. Stored it for over 3 months and it's been ok so far...

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I wonder if Heat additive would help, its ment for moisture in regular gasoline applications...

jblood37

Established Member
E85 absorbs water from the air. Usually, in a closed system like a fuel tank there is little to no air if it's topped off.
So I usually fill her up before I store the car. But I always drive out the old gas before I race. Never had an issue. Stored it for over 3 months and it's been ok so far...

Well. that's good news. Thanks

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Pretty much.

Remember, there are over 13 Million Flex Fuel vehicles on the road set up this way. If it were a huge problem, there would be mass chaos right now. LOL

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
I have let my car sit for months (~6) at a time and have never had an issue. My car has been on strictly E85 since 2008. I run it year round. No issues with lines/filters nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread