Warrantying Crusty Wheels and Adding Style to My DD Explorer

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rusty-wheels-adding-style-my-dd-explorer.html

As some of you may have saw, about 10 months ago I picked up a new daily driver. It's a 2009 Ford Explorer Sport V8. We have done articles about routine maintenance and adding the obligatory intake, tune, and exhaust. With this short article I'm going to take you through the fix for a common problem among Fords with factory polished aluminum wheels, namely corrosion of the aluminum leading to blistering of the clear coat. If you're wondering why the Ex doesn't have its go-fast parts installed in this article, it's because the events featured in this thread took place before those in the performance oriented article mentioned about.

The ugly blistering of the clear coat on the wheels has become such a problem that Ford has released a Technical Service Bulletin ("TSB") instructing dealers on how to address the situation. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap fix. Ford recommends replacing the affected wheels, along with the center caps and the bands for the TPMS sensors. Fortunately for me, my Ex was still under it's 3-year/36,000-mile warranty so all four wheels were replaced with brand new ones by Conway Ford of Conway, SC. The EX had about 35,000 miles on it, and it's stock tires, so I figured since it was getting new wheels that now would be as good a time as any to replace the tires.

I settled on the Nitto 420S as my tread of choice and placed an order with Discount Tire Direct. Within a couple of days I had four brand new wheels and tires on my new DD. Not a bad deal. However, I didn't want to stop there. I felt it would be a good idea to protect the Ex's new shoes so i called up Tousley Ford and ordered a set of Ford Accessories Security Lugs. Had I thought of it, like I did just now (months later), I probably could have used the ones that came with the SVTP GT. No use worrying about spending a few dollars now though. While on the phone with the guys at Tousley I ordered a factory 2002'ish Ford Explorer Rubber Hitch plug. I first discovered this plug back in 2002 when I bought a brand new Ford Ranger from my local Ford dealer. I spotted the hitch plug on an Explorer in the showroom and the salesman threw it in on the deal. That same plug spent time on my 2004 Lightning (before I finally removed the hitch) and now currently resides on the SVTP F-350. I like the plain and simple look of it, so I decided to add one to the Ex as well.

Take a look at the pics below:

This is the corrosion I was speaking about above. It was present on all four wheels.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_001.jpg

This is a good reason not to buy a vehicle sight unseen and at night. Had I not asked the dealership to pull the truck into a well lit garage I would have likely overlooked this defect.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_002.jpg

This wheel was the least affected by corrosion, but it is starting to make its presence known around the center cap.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_003.jpg

I'm just glad that I got this issue fixed under warranty. Also, knock on wheel weights are the devil.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_004.jpg

The new wheels and Nitto tires look great.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_005.jpg

I went one size larger with the tires (265 vs. 255). This gave the Ex a more performance oriented look and happened to cost about $70 less per tire.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_006.jpg

I think the old truck looks pretty good once it's all cleaned up.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_015.jpg

To protect the new wheels and tires from theft we opted to add a set of Ford security lugs.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_014.jpg

The star pattern in the top of the security lug is matched by that of the security socket.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_018.jpg

This means you pretty much have to have that socket in order to remove the wheel.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_019.jpg

Installation is as simple as removing a stock lug from each wheel...,

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_017.jpg

...and replacing it with a security lug using the provided matching socket.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_022.jpg

The security lug doesn't quite match the other lugs, but it's hardly noticeable.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_020.jpg

While this might not make the wheels theft proof, it may be just discouraging enough to make a thief look for an easier target.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_021.jpg

It's just a simple piece of molded rubber, but I think the Ford Hitch Plug compliments the overall look of the truck nicely.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_008.jpg

The rubber construction allows it to be held firmly in the receiver without any hardware.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_009.jpg

So instead of having an unsightly hole on the back of your vehicle...

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_010.jpg

...you can have this.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_011.jpg

The improvement is more dramatic from farther away. Here we have the not so great before image.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_013.jpg

And here is the much better after image. I think it's nice subtle improvement. Shout out to Lethal Performance for the sweet beer koozie in the background.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_012.jpg

For those interested, this is the part number for the hitch plug.

Ex_Lugs_Hitch_007.jpg

Special Thanks To:

Tousley Ford

Discount Tire Direct

Conway Ford

- SID297:beer:

P.S. - I know crusty stock wheels, lugnuts, and hitch plugs may not be the most exciting things to write and article about; but you never know, the next time you see an article involving the Ex we may be cracking into the engine or adding some boost.:D

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Will those tires see winter duty? I currently have 245/45/20 Hankook Ventus ST RHO6 on my Explorer and I love them. I wouldn't mind seeing how those work out and if they are possibly a better tire.

I caught something in your writeup about adding boost soon.....:banana:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Will those tires see winter duty? I currently have 245/45/20 Hankook Ventus ST RHO6 on my Explorer and I love them. I wouldn't mind seeing how those work out and if they are possibly a better tire.

I caught something in your writeup about adding boost soon.....:banana:

My guess is that they would suck in snow, but they seem pretty good in rain. For the conditions I drive in I really like them.

Boost? You never know....

I can say that it'll be getting ELC and a Reische 170 degree thermostat in the next couple months.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Nice improvements. On a scale of 1-10, what would you say the difficulty level is for the hitch plug install?

Gus00SVTL

SVT Lightning/6.2L Raptor
Established Member
Ive got the same security lugs on my Lightning. It's nice to know someones gonna have some trouble if they try to steal my wheels!

CAMMD97GT

Build in Progress
Established Member
That's a really nice looking Explorer! Wasn't aware of the "sport" edition, but that's pretty cool. Love the color!

kbroush

Established Member
That's awesome that the dealership replaced the wheels with new ones. This article makes me miss my 07 Sport Track Limited : (

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ive got the same security lugs on my Lightning. It's nice to know someones gonna have some trouble if they try to steal my wheels!

I'll just be happy if it makes them think twice before attempting it.

I love those stock wheels on that Explorer. Very Nice Touch!!

Thanks.

That's a really nice looking Explorer! Wasn't aware of the "sport" edition, but that's pretty cool. Love the color!

Thanks. I didn't know about them (or really remember them) until I was looking for a new DD.

Where in indiana did you find that thing??

Indy

That's awesome that the dealership replaced the wheels with new ones. This article makes me miss my 07 Sport Track Limited : (

That's what the TSB ordered them to do. The SVTP F-350 is starting to have the same problem, but is slightly out of warranty. One dealer turned me down, but I have another one that may be willing to fight to get them replaced for me. If that doesn't work I may get them hard coat chrome coated in a year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread