warranty issues with my F-150

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I have had rotor issues with my truck since i got my F150 in 2006. Since 2006 i have taken in it back to the dealer twice to get the rotors fixed. The problem was that at when i applied the breaks at highway speeds, the truck begins to shake really bad. The first time I took it in they resurfaced the front rotors and replaced the pads. The second time i took it back in the replaced the front rotors and resurfaced the rear rotors and pads were replaced again. the 3 year warranty took care of the expenses on both occasions. But now on the third time they are saying the warranty won't cover it anymore even though i have exended warranty, what bugs me is that the truck only has 35K miles on it. The guy told me that rotors aren't covered in extended warranty. I've tried everything to get them to fix them without charging me cuz i think it's BS that this ongoing problem hasn't been fixed yet. The guy was nice enough to tell me he's gonna have the mechanics check the suspension to see if that could be the cuase of the rotor wear but that didn't really make sense to me but at least they're giving it another shot.
I really need your guys' help to figure out a way to get them to fix the breaks with out charging me and any advice would be appreciated.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Brakes are considered wear and tear items. W&T items are not convered under warranty. The shaking sounds like your rotors are warped. This can happen do to your driving style, the area you live, and if you tow stuff. It is usually caused by overheating the brakes. My mom has this happen to her cars all the time because she rides her brakes. A lot of people in my town have it happen because of where we live. There are a lot of hills/canyons where I live and you have to be hard on your brakes.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Perhaps you are a tad to brake happy?

I own a 2003 F-350 and have learned to try and use my brakes as little as physically possible all the while still being safe. Expect to go through suspension parts and brakes a little more often than a regular car.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Sorry to hear. My father bought his 3/4 Ton Silverado in 05 and went through a similar ordeal with the dealership, but just a completely different part. His A/C sucked, so he took it to the dealership 3 times during his warranty period to have them check it out/fix it. The dealership kept skrewing around with it and said that was how it was supposed to be. Earlier this year, he finally got fed up over the summer and went to the GM dealership (he no longer has the warranty) and basically told them that his truck was not right and hasnt ever been. He reminded them that he's been there 3 other times to have them look at it, but it still sucked.

We were both pretty pissed at the dealership. My father has bought all his trucks and other vehicles from this dealership, and basically told the owner that he's going to be getting a Ford as his next truck, and get a new vehicle from ford for my grandmother because the GM dealership wouldnt stand behind their products. He would have been more than willing to pay if this happened outside of his warranty, but was just upset because his truck wasnt ever right from the factory. Something didnt work... And they kept giving it back to him and were saying it was fine.

Sure enough, the dealership covered the bill and bought him a new A/C unit, which then worked outstanding after the fix.

The dealership realized how much business my father brought them, and didnt want to lose him as a customer.

Try something like that.. Bring in all your paperwork and show them that the problem was there while it was still under warranty.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
I've never experienced that and I've owned a 97, 2005 and currently a 2008 F150 ranging from brand new to 130K miles. Maybe this is a good time to find a GOOD mechanic instead of some Ford schmo's. I understand you don't want to pay but since you know the pads are good get rid of the damn rotors they keep messing with and order new ones. A turd is a turd no mater how much it's polished! You are out of warranty but the thing to do was after the 1st attempt bust their balls until they ordered new ones for you but since every Ford dealer is different you can try and be super nice about it or be a super jerk about it and see which one they respond to more.

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
The thing is that the truck is rarely in stop and go taffic and I've never towed anything in it. road conditions vary where I live but I have other cars that I drive that don't get this problem.

Phil'scobra

Established Member
I have the same problem, 05 F-150. I have 113,000 miles and every yr. I change out the front brakes and turn the rotors. I have found that USA rotors not S**** chinese steel lasts longer. The only problem is finding a set of USA steel rotors that arent too $.
Good luck.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
The thing is that the truck is rarely in stop and go taffic and I've never towed anything in it. road conditions vary where I live but I have other cars that I drive that don't get this problem.

brakelines, have them check the brake lines and make sure that they are working. have they tried bleeding the lines to see if they work? we had a problem similar to this on our '07 Lariat supercrew and after that we haven't had any issues

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
this is common on 05-08 2wd F150's. the rotors have the hubs and bearings all in one piece with a one time use only locknut that MUST be replaced when they are loosened. my dealer just recently got an on the car lathe, prior we had to sublet all machining on these rotors to an outside shop. the only way to machine these setups is with an on the car lathe.

Users who are viewing this thread