Warning ticket

DRAGUL

Established Member
Just out of curiosity I thought I would ask, and yes I know it was only a warning ticket. The story is I am on my way home at night and get behind this car doing 10 mph in a 50. The car is a wreck. The whole drivers side of the car is smashed and covered in plastic with pieces dangling off. It had two flat tires and
half the lights not working. Looking at the car I questioned if it was even registered and had insurance. And when was one of the dangling parts going to fall off and hit my truck. Well I decided to pass him and yes it was a double yellow line (no passing lanes on this road). I waited until there was a long straight away with nothing coming and no side streets so it would be safe. ( They don't call this road suicide 6 for nothing). Long story short I got pulled over for doing this. Now my question is are there times when you can pass somebody legally when the vehicle in question in front of you is a danger and should not be on the road? Now the officer said that he saw the car and would have gone after him but was committed to going after me.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Just out of curiosity I thought I would ask, and yes I know it was only a warning ticket. The story is I am on my way home at night and get behind this car doing 10 mph in a 50. The car is a wreck. The whole drivers side of the car is smashed and covered in plastic with pieces dangling off. It had two flat tires and
half the lights not working. Looking at the car I questioned if it was even registered and had insurance. And when was one of the dangling parts going to fall off and hit my truck. Well I decided to pass him and yes it was a double yellow line (no passing lanes on this road). I waited until there was a long straight away with nothing coming and no side streets so it would be safe. ( They don't call this road suicide 6 for nothing). Long story short I got pulled over for doing this. Now my question is are there times when you can pass somebody legally when the vehicle in question in front of you is a danger and should not be on the road? Now the officer said that he saw the car and would have gone after him but was committed to going after me.

Take it to court and plead the defense of necessity. Legally it shouldnt work with a civil citation but it might. You will be able to get the officer to admit that the other car was a hazard and he would have stopped him. Then you can tell the judge/magistrate that hazard created the necessity for you to break the law because of the vulnerable position it put you in.

Good luck.

DRAGUL

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I am not going to fight a warning ticket. I just wanted to know if I definitely was in the wrong to do what I did.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
I think you missed the "Warning" part Adam.

To answer your question, no. Though it is common and I understand your point. Just like passing a garbage truck or similar vehicle on a double yellow. Its done often but not enforced to my knowledge.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I think you missed the "Warning" part Adam.

To answer your question, no. Though it is common and I understand your point. Just like passing a garbage truck or similar vehicle on a double yellow. Its done often but not enforced to my knowledge.

I didnt miss that it was a warning ticket. I was lending a little perspective to a non ticket. ;-)

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
WE dont have "warning" tickets in VA. The only warning I give is "if you do that again, I'll write you another ticket for it". I'd consider myself lucky OP.

DRAGUL

Established Member
I do count myself lucky I got the warning. And that is not the issue here. As stated, I just wondered if I was truly in the wrong. And this is the only place that I know of, that I could ask. Thanks guys for all the responses. BY the way how long does tickets usually stay on one's record? Or does it vary from state to state?

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member
You got caught on a technicality. Technically, you did violate the law as it is not legal to pass anybody for any reason on a double yellow line. The length of time is stays on your record does vary from state to state.

I am curious why the officer didn't stop the POS also, as I am sure it must have had to pass you both while he had you stopped?

DRAGUL

Established Member
He told me that he was wondering why everybody was going so slow. Then he said he saw it as he passed it to pull me over. But could not have pulled it over because he was committed to going after me. I guess he was quite a few cars back. It was night time so I never saw him. As for the pos that person took the first side street he could, probably so he didn't get pulled over. When I was pulled over it never passed by.

Last edited:

bones302

Established Member
maybe he only gave you a warning ticket b/c he couldn't give you a real ticket.

In NY, only on-duty officers can enforce the vehicle & traffic law, and even then they have to be in uniform to do so.

silver03svt

Established Member
That is a possibility too. Although in VA, we are only required by law to be in uniform to issue a ticket for any RADAR offense. All others are fair game on or off duty.

Monster Mach

Established Member

In NY, only on-duty officers can enforce the vehicle & traffic law, and even then they have to be in uniform to do so.

incorrect.. a ny officer is never "off duty". they can issue a ticket at any time just like they can carry their service weapon at all times.

silver03svt

Established Member
B38, was it a state trooper or a local pd/sheriff? The State Police hasn't had written warnings as long as I can remember.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Really? Where did you come up with this one?

Users who are viewing this thread