Warn engine tick... please read

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
OK...I just came back from talking to the tech at my dealer where my car is in for the tick (et al.) He retorqued the cam caps according to procedure, and .... it still ticks! He said when he first started it up, he didn't notice any ticking, but then as it warmed up he started to notice the same noise. The put a scope on the valve cover, and that's where it was coming from. I listened to it, and it was just like before I took it in. He called the tech hotline where he was advised to take oil pressure readings off of both heads and then call them back. So that's where things stand (for me) now on the tick.

They're also working on the vibe. They did call and were told a new DS was going to be issued. He said that actually, that when you try to order the old part number, it will say it is unavailable. I guess that's how they (Ford/SVT) are sneaking in the new one. I don't know why that needs to be covered up, however. So long as they fix the problem. The new drive shaft will have different color strips. And it will need to be indexed.

But now I'm headed out of town, so I won't have any more updates for a few days. Good luck to everyone on these issues. Hope they get resolved sooner than later.

Oh, and you don't have to red line the engine to get the tick. It's there from day one.

mosconiac

Established Member
An interesting twist.

I just talked to SVT about other problems I am having (slight stumble/sluggish performance/degrading MPG/skunky smell...etc) besides the tick.

The Tech I talked to asked if I had ever considered that all of these issues were related (he perked right up when I mentioned the skunky smell).

I said I have suscicions that my cats are fouled.

He said yep and that the tick I'm hearing *may* be just an EGR hose displaced due to excessive backpressure. Interesting theory.

If no EGR hoses are displaced, the dealer is instructed to retorque the cam caps.

He told me to get my '03 in and have the cats replaced and EGR hoses checked. If the dealer doesn't want to take it from me, they are instructed to call him. Nice, SVT's got my back. LOL

I'll try to ignore the fact that I told the dealer to check the cats the last time they had my '03 in for service and they failed to listen to my gut feeling and check them.

Wish me luck.

Mosconiac

Last edited:

Mordeth

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2001Cobra
OK...I just came back from talking to the tech at my dealer where my car is in for the tick (et al.) He retorqued the cam caps according to procedure, and .... it still ticks! He said when he first started it up, he didn't notice any ticking, but then as it warmed up he started to notice the same noise. The put a scope on the valve cover, and that's where it was coming from. I listened to it, and it was just like before I took it in. He called the tech hotline where he was advised to take oil pressure readings off of both heads and then call them back. So that's where things stand (for me) now on the tick.

They're also working on the vibe. They did call and were told a new DS was going to be issued. He said that actually, that when you try to order the old part number, it will say it is unavailable. I guess that's how they (Ford/SVT) are sneaking in the new one. I don't know why that needs to be covered up, however. So long as they fix the problem. The new drive shaft will have different color strips. And it will need to be indexed.

But now I'm headed out of town, so I won't have any more updates for a few days. Good luck to everyone on these issues. Hope they get resolved sooner than later.

Oh, and you don't have to red line the engine to get the tick. It's there from day one.

BlackCobra2001,

Is that your black Cobra sitting on the lifters at the Ford dealership in Fairport? I was just down there (10 minutes ago) looking at that Dark Shadow Grey on a Taurus(trying to guage how it would look on the Cobra) when I glanced into the shop and saw it sitting there.

If it is, then it is one SWEET RIDE. |Wow, I was impressed. I wanted Mineral Grey, but seeing that they aren't making them anymore, I was gonna go either Silver or Dark Shadow Grey. But after seeing your(?) black one, I think I might have changed my mind. :)

Mord

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Hey Mordeth - no, that wasn't mine. Are you sure it was an '03? (I didn't know there were any other '03 snakes around here other than mine, let alone another black coupe.) Anyways, yeah, black is a great color. I know it's a pain to keep clean, but when it is, it's gorgeous. Pictures don't do these cars justice. I thought about silver, too, but it just didn't do it for me like black. (Even though silver is never dirty and black is never clean. Ha ha.)

Mordeth

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2001Cobra
Hey Mordeth - no, that wasn't mine. Are you sure it was an '03? (I didn't know there were any other '03 snakes around here other than mine, let alone another black coupe.) Anyways, yeah, black is a great color. I know it's a pain to keep clean, but when it is, it's gorgeous. Pictures don't do these cars justice. I thought about silver, too, but it just didn't do it for me like black. (Even though silver is never dirty and black is never clean. Ha ha.)

Black2001Cobra,

It was definately an '03 black coupe and sweet as all hell! The dealership is Fairport Ford. I asked the salesman there what is was in for and he didnt know. It was up on a lift though. I even stuck around for about 30 minutes just praying that the owner would show up so I could get a closer look and maybe sit in for a a quick spin around the block. :) I live in East Rochester, right off Lincoln, so that dealership is just right up the road.(they aren't an SVT dealership though)

I am just about ready to order, but still hung up on color. I'm down to silver, dark shadow grey and BLACK.

Mordeth

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Mordeth - I would never try to influence your choice of color. (black black black)! Now I'm going to be on the lookout for this other black '03, too. BTW, I heard it rumored the Vision was going to become an SVT dealer, but I haven't verified that myself.

Users who are viewing this thread