War Medals

SirJAG

Established Member
These are my grandfather's. He passed recently and I got his shadow box. Anyone recognize any of these? I dont know much about the Army. He did 34yrs.

SirJAG

Established Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426261158.465570.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426261178.484082.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426261193.080207.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426261203.281516.jpg

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
View attachment 37525

The bottom right red and yellow ribbon is the National Defense medal. The top middle could be a Bronze Star... but I only would guess that because of the color and shape :)

View attachment 37526

The centered medal is the marskmanship medal, or the Expert medal, I forget which is which. obviously he shot well enough in rifle and pistol to earn that one.

right next to it is the paratrooper badge. I don't know the requirements to get this, but I do know that with the star and wreath he got a number of combat jumps.

I wish I could help more, but I am pretty sure you can search wikipedia and they have a list of medals and ribbons and what they mean.

SirJAG

Established Member
Yeah I know that one's a big deal. I was more curious about the metals on the right-hand side.

NinjaBum

Established Member
You can tell the yellow orange and green one is a Vietnam campaign ribbon. A few of the others appear to be awarded from maybe West German military to him.

NinjaBum

Established Member
The four stars on the ribbon portion of the yellow Vietnam Service Medal are devices that signify he was present for four campaigns there if you were wondering about that.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Alright, that's all I could find on the ones on the right that weren't immediately obvious. I gotta go clean before the wife comes home and kicks my ass. Your grandpa was a badass dude.

SirJAG

Established Member
Yeah he told me some crazy stories about the war. Didn't realize how much he meant to me till he was gone.

NinjaBum

Established Member
My grandpa was a WW2 vet. Never really talked about any of that too much until I joined the Army. Guess he felt a new bond with me after that cause he started writing me letters and talking to me on the phone about his time. Wrote me some letters while I was deployed and I didn't find the time to respond to the last few. He died while I was still in Iraq and I felt terrible. Made me feel good that he opened up to someone though. According to my aunt he never talked to anyone about his time fighting the Japanese and I was extraordinarily lucky to have had those talks with him.

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member

Legion of merit
2 bronze stars
Meritorious service medal
Army commendation medal
Army good conduct medal
National defense service medal
Expert rifle and pistol badge
Jump master badge
Armed forces expeditionary medal
Vietnam service medal (numerous tours)
Army armed forces service medal
Vietnam campaign medal
Vietnam gallantry cross
The last one in the bottom right is some sort of foreign medal/award
The red ribbon with the gold frame around it is the Army Meritorious Unit Award

Your grandfather was a badass paratrooper. Thanks for his service.

Zemedici

Established Member
Wow he was a kickass dude. Thanks for his incredible service. I'd be very proud of that. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread