wanting to run nitrous !

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
So i bought my cobra and i am wanting to push around 450 rwhp. So i am thinking full bolt ons, a tune and gears. But after that i want to run nitrous in my 2001 COBRA, is it a good to spray. can the engine handle it ? can the irs handle it ? is anyone running the set-up. thank you guys

fangs99

Established Member
it's just like any other form of FI...... all in the tune...... and as others will say 450 is about the reliable limit on the stock rods..... but nitrous is harder on the internals than boost...

snakeraper11b

Established Member
So i bought my cobra and i am wanting to push around 450 rwhp. So i am thinking full bolt ons, a tune and gears. But after that i want to run nitrous in my 2001 COBRA, is it a good to spray. can the engine handle it ? can the irs handle it ? is anyone running the set-up. thank you guys

Every car is different, who knows what yours will handle. Its a pretty common set up for the low budget street racer and some 1/4 mile guys. The 8.8 can handle well over 450 rwhp if you don't hop (01-04 31 spline is stronger than 99 28 spline). Most people that spray on the stock long blocks cap it off at a 150 shot, 100 would be a safer margin IMO. Your weakest links are going to be the stock trans, then the IRS bushings allowing everything to flop around and cause half shaft breakage and possibly the diff cover as well.

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
Every car is different, who knows what yours will handle. Its a pretty common set up for the low budget street racer and some 1/4 mile guys. The 8.8 can handle well over 450 rwhp if you don't hop (01-04 31 spline is stronger than 99 28 spline). Most people that spray on the stock long blocks cap it off at a 150 shot, 100 would be a safer margin IMO. Your weakest links are going to be the stock trans, then the IRS bushings allowing everything to flop around and cause half shaft breakage and possibly the diff cover as well.

yeah my car has 59k original miles. yeah i was going to upgrade irs bushings, get sub-frame connectors and a few other suspension mods. so the stock tranny would be a problem ? and i was think of a 100 shot

snakeraper11b

Established Member
yeah my car has 59k original miles. yeah i was going to upgrade irs bushings, get sub-frame connectors and a few other suspension mods. so the stock tranny would be a problem ? and i was think of a 100 shot

Like I said, its all in how you drive it. My 01 had 50k on it when I bought it. Show room floor stock, one owner. I came home on leave and drove it for 10 days and 1,100 miles before the trans lost 2nd. I dont think I shifted under 6,800 once in all 1,100 miles lol. $5800 later and one trick ass custom T56/drivetrain, that wont ever be a problem again :burnout:. Your set up sounds like it will be alright for a while. I would go with a 10.5" rear wheel at least with a 305 or 315 drag radial to help cushion the hit of the nitrous. If you cant spin um, you cant hop. That will help increase the longevity of your drivetrain parts.

fangs99

Established Member
a drag radial will help in traction but will also increase wheel hop.... on a 17/18 inch wheel.... the added side wall of a 15 will cut down on wheel hop

snakeraper11b

Established Member
a drag radial will help in traction but will also increase wheel hop.... on a 17/18 inch wheel.... the added side wall of a 15 will cut down on wheel hop

Really.....a drag radial will increase wheel hop over the standard radial? I think not. Granted running a massive side wall on a 15 will help some, theyre will be plenty of benefit from going to a drag radial, even in the same aspect ratio as the regular tire before it. I'm not going to turn this into a pissing match, but I've felt the difference in several cars from stock 01's to my buddies 650 rwhp 04.

thebestdj07

Established Member
i ran on 100 shot on my 115k mile block. regardless to say i must have leaned it out to much the one time and burned a electrode off #8 plug. then again i used it just about all the time :rockon:

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
okay yeah sounds good but 5800 dollars ? damm thats crazy. and yeah of course i was gonna be on drag radials.

corysmach1

Established Member
If it were me i would do full exhaust, jlt cai, and 100 shot to be safe....my mach blew up on a 150 shot but it did last 3 yrs. Just always run good gas with good plugs and gapped correctly wutb a good tune and it will last a long time....also get a good drag radial with 410s and you will have a blast.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Mine is a 99, 50,000 miles on engine. I have cai, high flow cats, x pipe, cat back exhaust, and a fogger system with a nitrous tune. Like everyone said, its in the tune and running good fuel. I fuel at the same locations everytime. Run some TR6 plugs and a wet system with a 100 shot on the regular. If you are out for a night of fun, bump it up to 150. Its addicting, but you will get tired of filling that bottle for $30+ everytime. I can easily go through 2 bottle a week conserving it lol.

Change your fuel filter, window switches are for guys with no driver mod, maybe get a fuel pressure safety switch for piece of mind... Nitrous is a affordable way to make big power up front but after you add gauges, bottle heaters, bottle openers, and fill the tank for a year...do the math...:beer:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
okay yeah sounds good but 5800 dollars ? damm thats crazy. and yeah of course i was gonna be on drag radials.

Custom fully built 26 input/ 32 spline (not a typo) main T56 with c5 z06 gears, Quicktime SFI bellhousing, billet McLeod flywheel, RXT clutch, Mark Williams billet slip yoke and pinion yoke, custom length PST carbon fiber driveshaft, Fiore firewall adjuster, quick ramp steeda billet quadrant, MGW on the way(they were out of orange handles!!!). Guess its actually closer to 6,000 with the shifter now. Thats not including any of the IRS mods either. Its going to be a standing mile car/my daily driver :banana: and the first 01 over 200mph, no cutting corners. Gonna need more than a 100 shot :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread