Wanting to join the Air Force

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Well I've talked to a lot of people about joining already, but you can never have enough info. Is there anything I need to know before I talk to a recruiter tomorrow??

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
I'm currently enrolled in college, but it isn't for me at all and I'm not doing very well. Will they look badly on me dropping out?? Has anyone had any bad experiences toward the air force or recommend another branch??

I'd really like to hear some opinions and/or tips from people who are already in the air force.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I'm currently enrolled in college, but it isn't for me at all and I'm not doing very well. Will they look badly on me dropping out?? Has anyone had any bad experiences toward the air force or recommend another branch??

I'd really like to hear some opinions and/or tips from people who are already in the air force.

They will not look badly on you dropping out. I love being in the Air Force, it is the single greatest thing I have ever done with my life. I love my job (2A313B) very rewarding and very challenging. When you go to pick a job if you do decide to join up, pick something that will transition to the real world. Being in the military is WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. You can have the time of your life or you can hate it and walk away.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I did 4yrs AF and it was one of the best decisions i ever made. It's been a out 2yrs since I seperated and i work for the DOD making decent money all because of my military training. I was ATC. Def go AF. I have worked with the navy and currently the army. AF treats their people much better and has much nicer bases.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
They will not look badly on you dropping out. I love being in the Air Force, it is the single greatest thing I have ever done with my life. I love my job (2A313B) very rewarding and very challenging. When you go to pick a job if you do decide to join up, pick something that will transition to the real world. Being in the military is WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. You can have the time of your life or you can hate it and walk away.

Thanks. I've always wanted to join the air force, but always figured I would hate going to the middle east, but after talking to people who actually knew what they were talking about, I've changed my mind. I'm still not sure what job to try for though.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Thanks. I've always wanted to join the air force, but always figured I would hate going to the middle east, but after talking to people who actually knew what they were talking about, I've changed my mind. I'm still not sure what job to try for though.

I cannot speak about being deployed because I have not gone yet but I can maybe give you some info on jobs, what did you have in mind?

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
I cannot speak about being deployed because I have not gone yet but I can maybe give you some info on jobs, what did you have in mind?

I'm not really sure. That's the main problem I'm having. I'm fairly good with computers, but sitting at a desk just isn't for me. I've always been a hands on person.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member

Luckily though, the Air Force doesnt do very long deployments from what im told. Most everyone i have talked to said its no more than a couple of months. I guess with the Army anything less than 12-18 months is considered not long. Sad haha.

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
Was a Salty Dog for a bit.... then had to reclass after Iraq and other shit. I'm just trying to get out since I didnt like the job I got thrown into . First 2 1/2 years ROCKED. went all over the world. never had a day off and partyed it down in some crazy places. But training is tough....
For a Combat Controller it is.

DONT GET AN OFFICE JOB... Get something different, even medical is cool, good experience. money on the outside is excellent. Just personally me, I got ****ed...

Currently Staff Sergeant. Will leave SS... towel in.

-Bret

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I come from a long line of Air Force. Dad and my Uncles were all Career Air Force. I have a nephew that went in as a bomb loader on a A-10, and then cross trained to be a door gunner. He absolutely loves it.

Air Force deployments are USUALLY 6 months at a time (I do know of a couple of individuals that stayed a year but they were "detailed" to non-Air Force units). even out here in the sandbox the Air Force's facilities are head and shoulders above the rest.

If I were looking to go in my list would be Air Force, Navy, Army, Marines in that order.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I'm not really sure. That's the main problem I'm having. I'm fairly good with computers, but sitting at a desk just isn't for me. I've always been a hands on person.

That was kinda the same boat I was in... worked with computers, wanted to go AF but, didn't want to be a desk jockey.

Look at the listings of jobs here on the airforce.com site. That is kinda the short & sweet description of some of the career fields that the USAF offers.

FWIW, there are a few of us Maintenance guys on SVTP that you can ask questions of, provided you had questions about working on aircraft.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If you LIKE computers and electronics look at getting into the technical services side of the OSI. My father did that for most of his career .. he loved it and got to travel a fair amount. I have NO idea where to start or what it is like now tho

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I've seen several AF bases and I've seen how they treat their people. It's the way to go for quality of life man.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Thanks everyone. I finally got to talk to a recruiter last wednesday and took my asvab pretest and scored a low 80. I go back tuesday to hopefully sign up.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
Actually, you guys helped me figure that out. I always wanted to either fly a fighter or work on one. I don't think I could fly one, so I picked the other. :rockon:

congrats bro!! that's awesome news! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread