Wanting to build knowledge on modern Mopars

Recon

Established Member
Creating this thread for 2 reasons.
1. Make a long story short my father’s best friend was hit on his motorcycle in April. He’s mostly recovered from it about 6 months ahead of schedule. He can’t get in his truck without issues now. So, the task with finding him a replacement was given to me. Here’s his requirements, he wants a 2-3 year old (not new) Challenger, doesn’t want a V6 or 5.7 and the Hellcat is too much money so 392 it is, would like a shaker, auto (obviously), loves plum crazy. Now my first thought was Scat Pac 392 shaker in plum crazy. One thing I have in question is, plum crazy offered for the Scat Pac shaker? Another question is would the ride quality of a Scat Pac be harsher compared to say an SRT 392? My knowledge is limited on mopars which is the other reason for making this thread.
2. This is for my own personal interest. I’ve come to the realization that my knowledge of modern mopars is pretty limited. As the majority of the people I know with them don’t modify them or are classic mopar guys only. I like to think I’ve got a decent grasp of Ford’s and in my area I can pretty much have any GM question answered. But mopars are a different story. So some things I’d like to know:

I’ve heard people mention on here the names of the hemi’s which seem to follow American Indians. Can I get a list of names to engines?
Why is it that the modern hemi’s seemed to be maxed out from the factory? As in they don’t really make much with mods unless it’s F/I. Is it, they come from the factory with pretty aggressive parts (heads, cams, etc) to begin with and there’s not much room for improvement? Another example is there’s what seems to be a handful of hellcats with upgraded cams. Compared to the only other modern pushrod engine (LS) GM leaves a lot on the table to be had.
A continuation of the maxed engine questions is why does the V10 in the Vipers leave so much more room for improvement compared to the hemi’s?
Also what’s the limits of said engines before things start breaking? I know the 392 can only handle 5lbs of boost before it pops. The cause is compression rings? I know the 6.1 seemed to be the most happy with boost until the Hellcat introduction. Also I’ve read the first one or two gen vipers came with forged internals and later models didn’t, reason? Possibly the cost?
What can the auto’s handle in terms of power? I’ve heard the 8 speed is pretty friggin wicked but would like to know the limits.

I’ll update this thread periodically as I made it on my lunch break and listed the questions I can think of off the top of my head. Also I have suspension and chassis questions but my time is almost up. This is my first step of research. I know there’s some people on here with mopars so I’d appreciate anything you can add for me to learn from on these cars.
@Revvv
@Zemedici

Pick your poison.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Can't answer too much of what you posted but I recalled the 6.4L being called the Apache. Then I found this - "Code names, based on planes: 5.7 = Eagle; 6.4 = Apache; 6.2 = HellCat"

My understanding is that the hemi's are pretty aggressive with cams and heads straight from the factory. Seems like there is some pretty good info here - The modern 5.7 Mopar Hemi V8 engine

Recon

Established Member
Can't answer too much of what you posted but I recalled the 6.4L being called the Apache. Then I found this - "Code names, based on planes: 5.7 = Eagle; 6.4 = Apache; 6.2 = HellCat"

My understanding is that the hemi's are pretty aggressive with cams and heads straight from the factory. Seems like there is some pretty good info here - The modern 5.7 Mopar Hemi V8 engine

Thanks I appreciate the info. So named after planes, got it. I read the article you posted, so good info in there.

Pick your poison.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
There are a few good Viper Forums out there, viper alley and Viper club of America. Both have good general forum and the members are pretty knowledgeable.

Users who are viewing this thread