Wanting New Hunting Rifle

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
So I am wanting to replace my current hunting rifle that I use for the majority of my local deer hunting. I have a .243 Remington that is as old as me but due to what is done to the Rifle I want to replace it, have all imperfections in the stock fixed, and put up.

I am looking for most likely another .243 as I don’t need anything bigger here plus I have a 7mm-Mag for bigger games and longer shots. When I looked on Remington’s website I noticed that they no longer make the 700 BDL.

I am wanting a synthetic stock but just do not know what to go with. I think the Remington SPS has replaced the BDL but I cannot confirm that. I want to stay bolt action.

Any recommendations?

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
For fun, since you shot .243 so long, a .257 Roberts or .270 might be a nice change.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
You wanting to stay bolt action? AR platform?
I don't know much about .243 except everyone says it is a perfect deer rifle, especially for a new shooter. Never shot one myself.
I hear really good things about 6.8 for deer hunting also. I actually own one in that caliber.
Ruger and Savage are my "go-to" if I am dealing with a specific pricepoint.
If you are willing to do an AR platform, build it yourself.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
In my opinion a 243 is the smallest possible caliber for white tail deer. I personally prefer 270 or 30-06.

Most people shooting a 243 do so because they want to avoid the recoil associated with larger caliber. I think the 270 is a perfect compromise in regard to hunting.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ok don't be mad...

I've always called the .243win "240 why?" It honestly is a fine cartridge but, for a short action .308 and 7mm 08 are just better in every way. Now that being said I own a ruger m77 .243.

I am currently looking for a new deer rifle as well. If I were to go short action a 7mm 08 or a .257 Roberts would be high on my list, and perhaps a .260 rem, or 6mm rem (bullet is .244, casing is longer than 243)

I got a .270 win 25 years ago, and I've killed a ton of deer with it...love that rifle I just want something different lol

Last edited:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I don’t hunt but I would love to try it with the right situation.

All the people I know up here that do hunt deer use the .308 and that’s what I shoot at the range. I love the cartridge and own a Remington 700 sps.
Good luck op sometime the hunt for a new gun is half the fun.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I looked at the Remington 738 and the Thompson/Center Compass rifles. I liked both and they come in 270

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I don’t hunt but I would love to try it with the right situation.

All the people I know up here that do hunt deer use the .308 and that’s what I shoot at the range. I love the cartridge and own a Remington 700 sps.
Good luck op sometime the hunt for a new gun is half the fun.

The .308 is a badass round. It is good for everything you can think of.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Also...bottom line is no matter the cartridge if ya put it where it hurts that deer is going down...I shot one last season with my 22-250...dropped where it stood as her lungs blew up on impact

I learned a lot about shot placement killing deer with my bow

Hit em in the pump house and they will drop quick...talking lungs and not the heart

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, if you guys are encouraging him to change calibers...
Ruger American in 7.62x39 will do everything you want at shorter distances.
Best part is your hunting ammo can be had for less than $10/20.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Never shot a .270, I love my .243 for local hunting as no shot I will take would be over 200 yards and I keep my firearms which means that once my daughter is old enough and would be interested, it would be her first rifle.

Outside of when I have gone out west or sat on power lines, I have never needed anything other than that .243. I run 100gr Core-Lokts and have never had a deer run after being hit with it. For longer shooting, trips out west, or when I want to shatter ear drums and show off I break out the 7mm-Mag.

The reason for wanting to retire the .243 from hunting duty is the engraving my father won and had done for me when I was born. I will snap some pictures when I get home.

That .243 Killed my father’s trophy 11pt, 21 3/4” spread, 209lb field dressed buck in PA.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Never shot a .270, I love my .243 for local hunting as no shot I will take would be over 200 yards and I keep my firearms which means that once my daughter is old enough and would be interested, it would be her first rifle.

Outside of when I have gone out west or sat on power lines, I have never needed anything other than that .243. I run 100gr Core-Lokts and have never had a deer run after being hit with it. For longer shooting, trips out west, or when I want to shatter ear drums and show off I break out the 7mm-Mag.

The reason for wanting to retire the .243 from hunting duty is the engraving my father won and had done for me when I was born. I will snap some pictures when I get home.

That .243 Killed my father’s trophy 11pt, 21 3/4” spread, 209lb field dressed buck in PA.

I have a 50 Beowulf rig you can try out....built it for deer hunting...has only punched paper...

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Can I be that guy?

Okay, I'll be that guy.

30-30 Lever action. It's put down more deer, varmint, and game then any other round.

Marlin-30-30-stump2-630x339.jpg

I have a 336c Marlin (a real one, not a remington remake), and there's not a more beautiful, value holding gun than that.

Attachments

• Marlin-30-30-stump2-630x339.jpg
    Marlin-30-30-stump2-630x339.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 72

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I am currently looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Weather and the Remington SPS .243 and .270.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Also trying to get more info on the Savage 110 and 11 Trophy Hunter.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Be careful with Remington, their quality is not what it used to be. A caliber that has gained great notoriety recently is the 6.5 Creedmoor. A number of guns are manufactured in the caliber and plenty of ammo. Is used for varmint, deer and elk. It was born as a target round and regularly hits 1000 yards. The Savage and Ruger have been the most popular guns I have seen folks talk about. Lots of choices. I have a.243, .308. 6.5 and the list goes on. Good luck1

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I had seen reports that Remington quality has returned around 2015. The 783 is actually a recommended rifle platform.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Kimber Mountain Ascent

Weighs less than 5 lbs, available in a variety of calibers, sub MOA guarantee. I've gotten to like 6.5 Creedmoor lately.

Users who are viewing this thread