Wanted: Ford GT (I'm ready)

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Good luck...This is my dream car..But as long as I am working for the military. I will never see this. Maybe When I retire.

Man I was scrolling down and saw your sig... 1 minute passes...then I remembered I was reading the thread

brianz426

Established Member
Bret,
Saw you popped up in the R's section and wondered what you were up to. Big congrats on the GT! Awesome color combo. Enjoy it.
Brian

bret a ewing

Established Member
Thanks Brian.
Still trying to figure out how to drive the friggin' thing.....mid engine a little different.
First event was an HOD open track at Pocono a few weeks back. We got there around 2PM due to participating in the Lehigh Valley Walk for Autism in the morning.
It was cold, cloudy, upper 40's with a 20K North-West wind, gusting to 30K. It was held on the brand new infield road course, a mile and a half long. So the macadam was not only cold but still greasy as it had not yet totally cured. Additionally It takes some time (and heat) for tire rubber to impregnate into the track surface eventually creating a more adhesive surface. If that wasn't enough of a challange, I ran the event with the original 7 year old Goodyear F1's, needless to say traction was at a premimum.
Since it was my first opportunity to sort the car out, naturally I started slow, maybe even old lady slow. Yeah, I got some razzin, rightfully so.... but DAMN, with these track conditions (and not knowing what initial tire pressure to use) this thing was a handful when you're tryin' to put the power down on the exit-out of a turn, the ass end gets real sneaky, I was concerned to say the least.
BTW we drove it there and I wanted to drive it home.
Anyway it was a 20 minute session, I built speed slowly, didn't loop the car or go off course (like 3 other guys) had fun and learned a little more what is possible with a mid-engine performance car.
Make no mistake, I have a LONG way to go to comfortably get this thing around a track fast, but I am going to give it another shot at another open track event.
I'll probably have a new set of tires on it by then, hehehe.

Hope to hook up with you guys this season, stay in touch. We will have another Eastern Regional SAAC event at the end of the year if you can make it.

Naturally, offer still stands if you get up to this area.............you have my number.

Best regards, Bret.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Hoosiers make a world of difference. If you don't want to go that that direction the bridgestones, are still a LOT better than the GY. the GY is not a very good tire, but they wanted to be on the car, and they were the only company to certify to 205 mph.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Right now they are about the only choice. I have been using R6's on the streets, and track last couple years, Tired of listening to the rocks hit the car, so got the Bstones couple weeks ago. There is only one rear tire choice in the 345, but there are 5 RE050 fronts in the 265. You will want the N1 version, the inner sidewall is a touch stiffer that the outer. Helps with initial turn in. When I track it again, will use R'6 again (have a couple sets of wheels).

spec,

I will be installing the 'stones next, best choice from what I understand.

Thanks,
Bret.

brianz426

Established Member
Thanks Brian.
Still trying to figure out how to drive the friggin' thing.....mid engine a little different.
First event was an HOD open track at Pocono a few weeks back. We got there around 2PM due to participating in the Lehigh Valley Walk for Autism in the morning.
It was cold, cloudy, upper 40's with a 20K North-West wind, gusting to 30K. It was held on the brand new infield road course, a mile and a half long. So the macadam was not only cold but still greasy as it had not yet totally cured. Additionally It takes some time (and heat) for tire rubber to impregnate into the track surface eventually creating a more adhesive surface. If that wasn't enough of a challange, I ran the event with the original 7 year old Goodyear F1's, needless to say traction was at a premimum.
Since it was my first opportunity to sort the car out, naturally I started slow, maybe even old lady slow. Yeah, I got some razzin, rightfully so.... but DAMN, with these track conditions (and not knowing what initial tire pressure to use) this thing was a handful when you're tryin' to put the power down on the exit-out of a turn, the ass end gets real sneaky, I was concerned to say the least.
BTW we drove it there and I wanted to drive it home.
Anyway it was a 20 minute session, I built speed slowly, didn't loop the car or go off course (like 3 other guys) had fun and learned a little more what is possible with a mid-engine performance car.
Make no mistake, I have a LONG way to go to comfortably get this thing around a track fast, but I am going to give it another shot at another open track event.
I'll probably have a new set of tires on it by then, hehehe.

Hope to hook up with you guys this season, stay in touch. We will have another Eastern Regional SAAC event at the end of the year if you can make it.

Naturally, offer still stands if you get up to this area.............you have my number.

Best regards, Bret.

Sounds like you had a great first time out on the track with it. I'm sure with warmer temps, new tires, and a more seasoned track it will feel like a completely different car.
It's been a busy spring and this summer is filling up fast with family stuff and a few weddings. Count me in for the Eastern Regional SAAC event this fall, it's been on my list and I don't want to miss another year. I got my '14 GT500 about 4 weeks ago so I'm planning on driving that up. It will be nice to do a few trailer-less events. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys again.

Take care,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread