Wanted: 1995 Cobra "R" #99

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Cobra "R" #99 (only), I've owned the car in the past, interested in purchasing back.

Last seen in a for sale post on craigslist in Ohio 6 or 7 years ago, where the seller stated "original paint, never raced, all stock". Of course we know this not to be the truth, as the car was extensively raced in the SCCA (I may still have a copy of the logbook). Car also had extensive "Kenny Brown" modifications when new. In addition, the car had it's nose shoved over 3 feet to one side by the person I sold the car to at the Autobahn road course in Illinois. Then restored by Gary Jones Racing before being resold to an unknown buyer.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Bill,
I remember when you sold it on eBay for $20K. You lived in NJ.

It was then wrecked and rebuilt.

Then Gary Jones (now deceased) rebuilt it. I think he sold it for $55K? I lost track of it then.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
All leads still point to it being in Ohio, where I saw the last known owner attempt to sell it as "all original". Car has not been seen, nor registered for the street in 10 years. May now be in a multi car, private collection, or with a dealer.

Bill S.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Digging for pictures of the car today, I ran across my original write up on the car, posted here far too many years ago to remember:

No Trailer Queen Or Life comes full circle in NJ

1995 Cobra “R” Model

VIN:1FALP42CXSF213566

#99 of 250.

My 95 "R" Model was originally delivered to Coccia Ford in Luzerne, PA back on 4/11/1995. Purchased by it's first owner, a man named JD Williams (of Ohio/Florida/California) who promptly added a roll cage, set of #27 decals and "First News" sponsorship lettering, lap timer, and the custom Ohio plate "Cobra R" and proceeded to use the car in local SCCA events in the ITE class (to get his competition license). After 3 years of local events (mostly Mid Ohio, Nelson Ledges, and Watkins Glen), the owner and the car went off to California, where it raced at Laguna Seca and Button Willows. After several years of this, the car was shipped off to Specialty Autosports in Salinas, CA for some much needed chassis work. While the car was there, they installed a full suite of Kenny Brown goodies...Jacking rails, extreme braces, adjustable upper control arms, offset rack bushings, competition front and rear spring sets, and the rear "trackit plus II" Panhard bar. The owner then used the car for open track events only, no longer racing it with the SCCA. Finally, in May of 2004 while in Ohio with the car, he sold it to the owner of a commercial Ford Truck dealership in Pittsburgh, PA. The owner wanted a car that he could take to the local track (Beaver Run) and enjoy it. Of course this is where I step in, as I had just sold off both of my FFR's in hopes of using a good portion of the proceeds to fund my upcoming new business venture.. Perusing Ebay one afternoon, I spy this low mileage Cobra "R", repainted bright polar white with early GT350 style blue stripes...Being in a playful mood, I call down to my wife "Honey, come take a look at this "Cobra" on Ebay, she of course rolls her eyes and tells me "later".....By this time, I've already done a Car Fax and Auto Check on the VIN to see what is what..........It's then that I learn that this is the same car that I test drove at Coccia Ford way back in 1995. The owner, knowing I raced with the SCCA in the past, was really trying to push me into buying it...I of course, being the "family man" at that time decided on the "Two Top" Cobra convertible instead because it had room for the entire family....I did however visit the showroom frequently, drooling over the "R" Model while it was there. Heartbroken when it was was finally sold..........Armed with this information, I call down to my wife again, telling her what I just found out...Her response this time was "what can you buy it for", my response was "I'll make a call and find out"....After making a call to the seller (who is out of town and not following the auction), I learn the reserve is set quite reasonable, and the only reason the owner is selling is because he has his eye on a 2000 Cobra "R" that someone wants to trade in on a new Ford Truck...........Get off the phone and tell my wife what the reserve is set at, her response: "If you can get it for his reserve price, you would be stupid not to buy it".....How could I argue with logic like hers.....So, I sit back and wait, watching the end of the auction get closer and closer (did I mention he had the auction ending at 12:53pm, on Friday of Labor Day weekend when most people would be traveling and not watching the auctions)..So with 45 seconds left, I placed my bid and hoped that nobody else would bid higher at the last moment...The rest I guess is history, as I now own the car...A set of brakes front and rear(hawk pads, new rotors), new rear axle bearings, Richmond 3:55 ring gear, new Green Air Filter, a front end alignment, and the car is a true pleasure to drive...

Pictures below, from left to right, when I owned it, interior when I owned it, wrecked after I sold it, mid repair at Gary Jones Racing.

Bill S.

Attachments

• Cobra.R.99.jpg
    Cobra.R.99.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 67
  • Cobra.R.99a.jpg
    Cobra.R.99a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
  • wrecked99.jpg
    wrecked99.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Cobra.R.99b.jpg
    Cobra.R.99b.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
When Gary rebuilt it and sold it did it have the cage and somewhat stripped interior in the back section? Any idea what happened to the rear package shelf and other items?

Tom

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
When Gary rebuilt it and sold it did it have the cage and somewhat stripped interior in the back section? Any idea what happened to the rear package shelf and other items?

Tom
Tom,

Unlike what Gary had posted back in 2010 during the restoration of the car (CLICK HERE) believe the car was restored to stock, meaning the cage, race seat, and Kenny Brown suspension items were removed. The entire nose was clipped back to the firewall using a "donor chassis".

Bill S.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Gary was always building and re-building Cobra R race cars. The cancer got him a few years ago. RIP.

I had many good years with Gary when I paid him. Like here:
65redAug09.jpg

And an equal amount when I did my own work.
65RA2008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread