Want to be able to speed shift it, am I on the right track with MGW?

sono

Established Member
Bought an mgw gen2 because my clutch install was delayed. I'm hoping the combination of the shifter and the twin disc 1000hp mcleod clutch will stop the lock out I get. Ford said the transmission sync test passed. Whatever the hell that is. Anyone running this combo? can you speed shift it or is that a negative?

Thanks

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Only way to know is to giv'r and see if the result is favorable.

Most will say usually to guarantee a trouble free speed shift a WOT box might be necessary.

Tony

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You can't shift faster than the synchros will allow. The MGW is the most precise shift mechanism on the market and teamed with a good clutch you should be able to bang off some perfectly executed shifts at the track.

sono

Established Member
ok, so i didn't here a no, so I should be ok,

thanks

rwboring

Established Member
ok, so i didn't here a no, so I should be ok,

thanks

Probably not wise without a WOT box...

RPM's kill these motors, to me it isn't worth missing a shift. You can still shift pretty damn fast while lifting.

You might say "well there is a rev-limiter for a reason"... personally i'd rather not risk a motor (especially block) with the cost these are to rebuild (or replace a block)...

just my .02

sono

Established Member
I worry about the rpms, even during every day driving if the tires break loose the tach climbs real fast. Can the tuner save me with the limiter, or are you just screwed.
Plus looking down at the damn gauges to make sure your ok, is crap.

little-dw

Established Member
looking down at the damn gauges to make sure your ok, is crap.

:nono: a good driver doesn't need to look at gauges when shifting. you feel the car, know the car, listen to the car :coolman: it all takes time. plus a nice 6500rpm shift is about as good as you'd want anyways

Softballer77

Established Member
Here's the skinny:

Van sells the solid bushings. I bought them, and it took away my 1/2 lockout and 2/3 grind at wot. Basically $100 fix and your cheapest way out of it.

I now have an MGW II. Super precise, but MAN is that thing stiff (2k miles on it and still stiff). But NO grinding issues and you KNOW when you are in a gear. No play whatsoever.

N2MB 2 step/no lift shift. To me...works awesome because it cuts your ignition when you hit the clutch, thus taking out a bit of that engine/tranny twist that makes us miss shifts with our remote shifters in the first place. I use it and it's great. Little bit wiring intensive tho. Controlled by Windows PC. No support for Mac. ( :( )

SO, with that being said, you can go any of those routes. The best in my opinion is MGW II combined with NWMB and you can have precise shifts with no lockouts or grinds, and shift at will withOUT lifting your foot off the gas while doing it.

Hope that helps.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You can't shift faster than the synchros will allow. The MGW is the most precise shift mechanism on the market and teamed with a good clutch you should be able to bang off some perfectly executed shifts at the track.

This exactly.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
WOT box isn't nice on your factory timing components so I don't recommend them

RPM will most definitely hurt the engine, especially when combined with the WOT box

The remote mounted shifter is terrible. Best bet? Swap in a T56 and bang away. The 6060 with remote shifter is atrocious

jtfx6552

Established Member
WOT box isn't nice on your factory timing components so I don't recommend them

RPM will most definitely hurt the engine, especially when combined with the WOT box

The remote mounted shifter is terrible. Best bet? Swap in a T56 and bang away. The 6060 with remote shifter is atrocious

This...

Users who are viewing this thread