wandering

bigbadfox

Established Member
Hi guys. I have a Terminator that I bought with H & R lowering spring. I never had a problem until I went for an alignment and now the car is all over the road. I had it realigned at a performance shop and better but it still wanders like hell. I'm guessing I have to get CC plates to make it right but i'm not sure about a bump steer kit since I never had a problem over bumps. I think the rear is fine and the front is where the problem is but i could be wrong. I wish I could find the print out but it's no where to be found.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
What kind of tires are on the front? My 03 did it bad with Khumo's on it. Replaced them with Coopers and it fixed the problem.

bigbadfox

Established Member
It had some badly dry rotted tires on the front but I replaced them with new 275 40 17 rikens. Idk if that has anything to do with it because it never wandered with them on until the first alignment. Also, I had the new tires put on at the second alignment.

keith89

Established Member
when you say wandering, does it feel like the front or back that's moving around on you. Does it steer itself in one direction if you let go of the wheel or does it pull to one side with the wheel straight ahead?

bigbadfox

Established Member
It feels like it is the front that I am having a problem with. It doesn't pull in one direction but rather feels like its not sure if it wants to go left or right.

keith89

Established Member
It feels like it is the front that I am having a problem with. It doesn't pull in one direction but rather feels like its not sure if it wants to go left or right.

so when you're going straight it tends to wander in either direction. is there a lot of play in the steering wheel before it actually steers the car? Your steering rack bushings may need to be replaced or the rag joint in your steering shaft may be shot or both. I would also check wheel bearings and steering tie rods for play especially at the ball joints.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Recommend when lowering these cars is the upgrade ball joints and bump steer in order to get car dialed in. I have Steeda X-2 and UPR bump steer with ZERO probs.

bigbadfox

Established Member
There is no play in the steering wheel. Everything is tight and I never had a problem until the first alignment shop touched it. I'm thinking I at leasts need caster camber plates. Also, it doesn't really wander at all unless i'm up to freewya speeds if that makes a diffference.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Your car is tramlining.

The alignment you got that has resulted in this is more aggressive than your previous alignment. If your tires are stickier or wider than stock, this can happen even without an aggressive alignment. The tires are following the different grip patches and/or ruts in the road. If you don't like the feeling, get a less aggressive alignment. Do not throw parts at this issue; it's not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread