waiting over 3 month on engine build?

big dad

Established Member
Patience Grasshopper. That's not a long time in the big scheme of things. I know when you're young it seems that time stands still, but wait till you reach your 60s or 70s time really flies.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
U dont live in Connecticut bro...... trust me there is a (Off season) for shops up here when it snows (8) months out of the year! This aint Florida bro lol but he's in Southern Cali so he doesn't get the white shit! Race season for the south is winter time. North is summer time so depends on what shop u chose.

And there's no such thing as "off season" when it comes to race shops. During the race season? Gotta have it done right away for the next race. Outside of the race season? Everyone is rebuilding and upgrading. Never a slow season.

03' White Snake

Established Member
The machine shop took 3 months to machine the block and assemble the short block for me. I delivered the bare block with all the brand new parts in boxes to them. Better to have it done right than rushed and miss something critical. That is why I wanted all the bearings checked, coated, rings filed, and freeze plugs ect installed for me. I finished building the motor after that. Installed cams, springs, seals, degree'd the cams ect all myself.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
This is normal, covid or not. The only way you get to the front of the line is being a high profile customer or $$$$.

Unfortunately, unless you plan the build accordingly and have all parts laid out (which is obviously still part of the time line), this is is par for the course and just as bad as chassis shop prison. I'll stick by my long known thoughts that the motorsports world are some of the worst ran businesses, using OPM to pay for whatever projects are going on, and trying to get some kind of magical pay day that never comes with some big name racer, which puts the average joe CASH FLOW out of the loop.

There are very knowledgeably people in the racing world that simply don't understand the basics of business. It is extremely important to hold a shop to a timeline at the beginning of the build, otherwise, you will just have to wait.

slowsix

Established Member
That's not bad. I waited about 9 months on a motor a couple years ago. And that was a pushrod that is even easier to assemble lol.

CobraSam

Established Member
I started my rebuild last August. Still haven’t driven my car yet.
Things take time, especially when there’s bugs to work out.
I will say however, my machine shop did their part in only 3 weeks after I dropped the long block off. New pistons, overhauled shortblock and heads. So that was fast.
And I’m with GNBRETT, besides the amount of times he wrote “bro”, (must be a CT thing) up here in the NE, shops definitely have a slow time. We call that winter.

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
Well its finally home L&R Engines did their best with covid 19 in mind Derek is a patient good guy, got it installed now im having an electrical issue now due to bad grounding, from the harness, i installed it on the front of the motor thinking itd be sufficient grounding, apparently not..... was in the process of breaking in the motor 15 mins in running..almost to running temperature i lose all power, smh power to dash will come on intermittently as i try to start the car sounds like the starter solenoid ticking rapidly and the dash and gauges bouncing around, i figured out where the grounds are supposed to go, (motor mount bolts).. started checking fuses disconnected terminals and wiring to terminal coming from fuse box under the hood because i noticed my power cable had continuity with ground, separated the cables 1 red that directly feeds the fuse box from the battery, than 2 wires connected to one eyelid running to the starter, now none of those wires are grounded what i did find is that post where those wires are landed is grounded wich is the feed to the fuse box, when the car shut off i feel like the fans came on right at that time, has any of you done this mistake???

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well its finally home L&R Engines did their best with covid 19 in mind Derek is a patient good guy, got it installed now im having an electrical issue now due to bad grounding, from the harness, i installed it on the front of the motor thinking itd be sufficient grounding, apparently not..... was in the process of breaking in the motor 15 mins in running..almost to running temperature i lose all power, smh power to dash will come on intermittently as i try to start the car sounds like the starter solenoid ticking rapidly and the dash and gauges bouncing around, i figured out where the grounds are supposed to go, (motor mount bolts).. started checking fuses disconnected terminals and wiring to terminal coming from fuse box under the hood because i noticed my power cable had continuity with ground, separated the cables 1 red that directly feeds the fuse box from the battery, than 2 wires connected to one eyelid running to the starter, now none of those wires are grounded what i did find is that post where those wires are landed is grounded wich is the feed to the fuse box, when the car shut off i feel like the fans came on right at that time, has any of you done this mistake???

you might as well start taking pictures because I don’t think anyone can decipher this wall of words

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
you might as well start taking pictures because I don’t think anyone can decipher this wall of words

i hear you, well unfortunately im stuck at work till 2400, and by the time i wake up tomorrow ill be tracing my wires and ill forget to take pictures so its all good . thanks for the help.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
You need to start from scratch.

Is the battery fully charged?

Good connections at battery to fuse block, alternator, grounds.

Not sure what all that stuff you have going on below the steering wheel is

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
yessir battery is good i will say the grounds i believe were the primary issue i found out 1 ground strap goes from the motor mount to the frame, then another ground from the harness goes to the motor mount as well. but thats all i know of from the motor. wish i would of payed more attention when i ripped out the motor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread