Waiting for new PCM before a Chip install

Evilcartman

Established Member
I want a new PCM to install my chip in. This way I can switch out the PCM before I take the car in for service. I checked a little while back and they didn't have them. Anyone have any idea when they will be available? I really new a chip.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I've been told that a replacement PCM needs to be programmed by Ford with your VIN ...does anyone know if that's true or not?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
ok, thanks for clearing that up for me....

did they quote you a price?

Evilcartman

Established Member
I already have a core to turn in so the final cost will be $197. The core is $100 so I will pay $297 up front. I have a buddy at a dealer to help out, but he can't tell me when the new PCM will be here.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
thanks again!

that isn't as much as I expected....

RKANYZ

Established Member
Actually some PCM's need to be programmed. I am not sure about 03 cobras, but 02 explorers and others need to be programmed. I'd like to meet the head of software engineering at Ford so we could have long "talk" about how f-ed up their computer programs are right now. Sorry needed to vent.

Evilcartman

Established Member
Originally posted by RKANYZ
Actually some PCM's need to be programmed. I am not sure about 03 cobras, but 02 explorers and others need to be programmed. I'd like to meet the head of software engineering at Ford so we could have long "talk" about how f-ed up their computer programs are right now. Sorry needed to vent.

I can believe that. I was a Ford tech for 4 years, but I quite back in 2000. They are always changing something. As for it needing programmed, I'm not to worried. One of my good friends still works at the Dealer.

And as for the cars having Chips or not, all Cobra's have the PATS system and the PCM does need to be programmed to it.

EasyMoney

Established Member
I talked with JDM and they told me that the car would crank right up with a new PCM. Now i am confused someone should know this for sure.

Evilcartman

Established Member
All PCM's have to be programmed to the PATS chip in the key, if the system is present, new and old unless the PCM has already been programmed to that car. There is a transducer in the steering column that reads the chip in the key. Then the signal is sent to the PCM. The PCM stores the chip ID (when you program it) and must received the signal when the car is cranking inorder to fire the injectors. Unless they are burning a chip in the PCM to skips the PATS system, which I would prefer to be working for security. I think they may be another procedure to programming the keys on a new PCM, but I'm not sure. Either way, you have to program the keys to the car, it will not just crank up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread