VW's at the Sonic

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I just got back from the local Walmart (behind the Sonic in Morgantown). The Sonic lot was full of at least 40 or so VW's. Jetta's, Golf's... whatever and one Audi TT. People were hanging out just like the MACA Cobra guys at the Morgantown GTG. I just thought it was funny that no one had their hood up, not much to show or see I guess!

As I rumbled by everyone was giving me the look. :lol::lol:

PureStang

Established Member
lol. i love rolling by other car meets and getting the look even though i was minding my own business. then again, sometimes i make my self known im there....

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Dubbers can be pretty cool people. My first car was a 74 Super Bug with a built motor- did high 13's and would beat most 86 Mustang GT's. It was pretty cool having a Bug that could beat our school's rich kid's Gt's. And a few years back I had an 02 VW GTI that we had some decent work done to it. At the VW gtg's you will generally find a good mix of old heads in their classic Bugs, preppys in their modded Passats (once saw one where the guy rearranged the letters in Passat to spell "taPass"), as well as the younguns in their GTI's and Cabriolets. And I have gone by the VW gtg's before in a couple of my Mustangs and each time several people asked to go for rides which I thought was pretty cool.

32vofFury

WHINE & DINE!
Established Member
haha i was just there last night with a couple friends. I drive by and see meets there once in a while. They are building one in Limerick now too. 2 miles from my house.

Evs04Snake

Established Member
I recently bought my son a 03 jetta 1.8 turbo, 5 speed. The previous owner put sway bars, lower springs, catback and a chip on it. The little thing is nimble and scoots really well.
Now he is researching how to further mod it.
I guess the nut doesn't fall from the tree..lol

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
I recently bought my son a 03 jetta 1.8 turbo, 5 speed. The previous owner put sway bars, lower springs, catback and a chip on it. The little thing is nimble and scoots really well.

On our 02 GTI which also had the 1.8 Turbo engine we had a catback exhaust put on, a cold air intake, the computer tweaked by EIP Tuning (I think they are no longer in business I hear due to being mismanaged), a diverter valve (similar to a blow off valve but some air is recycled back into the system- doesn't give the big blowoff whoosh, but is better for performance, fuel economy, and the engine idles better), and there is somekind of other valve that was replaced on the engine where we either went from an "H" valve to a "J" valve or vice versa. Doing all that woke the car up a bit. About 6 months later we then got the exhaust downpipe which comes off the turbo replaced and noticed as much of an increase in performance as we did with all the aforementioned mods. When the old downpipe came out I saw that it is a little thing to begin with and the bend that is in it constricts the pipe down to the size of most people's thumbs. So, if the downpipe hasn't been replaced, he might want to consider doing so.

000_0059.jpg

000_0058.jpg

mixxer

Established Member
I just found out from shake n bake that every thursday there is a gtg there at that sonic at 6 oclock if any ones interested ,im going to head up if its nice.

Jgranga171

1BADSNAKE
Established Member
I bought an '07 GLI back in August of last year and I absolutely love it. The six speed DSG Tranny is AMAZING. Very happy with it. There's a special place in my heart for V dubs.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I just found out from shake n bake that every thursday there is a gtg there at that sonic at 6 oclock if any ones interested ,im going to head up if its nice.

I didn't know Chris was still active. Haven't heard from him in awhile. His black car is like yours... spotless (unlike mine :() He's right about Thursday nights. Last Thursday I drove by early (6:30) and there were some cars there... a nice 56 Chevy, a Nova, an old vet and a couple of street rods. Going down Rt.23 I saw a few other street rods on their way. Let me know if you go and I will try to meet up. Get Chris to go too. We need to have some Cobra's there. :banana::pepper:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member

I had a 05 VR6 Jetta with every suspension mod you could think of. It could handle turns at speeds I would never attempt in a stock cobra......Then the vw quaility kicked in at it burst into flames. German egineered but built in Mexico.

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I would agree VW makes a hell of a car but IME the reliability was poor. Every VW owned in my family brought issues that I never had with other cars. I had a Corrado and loved everything about it until I had to pay for replacement parts. Oh Yeah, got dusted by a 5.0 Notchback on the NJ Turnpike back in 94. End VW, begin Mustang experiences. Never went back LOL

98SLITHERN

Established Member
I wouldn't knock the vw guys my buddies corrado trappedd out at 121mph the last he had it at the track and that was only at 12lbs of boost on the vr6 lol we built to handle 20lbs there is pretty much nothing to competes with him at a roll. there is something about 450hp in a car that weighs 2000lbs lol

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I wouldn't knock the vw guys my buddies corrado trappedd out at 121mph the last he had it at the track and that was only at 12lbs of boost on the vr6 lol we built to handle 20lbs there is pretty much nothing to competes with him at a roll. there is something about 450hp in a car that weighs 2000lbs lol

I've owned a couple....just stating they are prone to fires. Do a search on vw boards and you will be amazed how many are lost to sudden car fires. With that said I've seen some nasty supercharged/turbo vr6's Nothing to take lightly on a highway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread