Vortech V-2 w/ 2.75" Upper & AFM Power Pipe Questions

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I'm receiving mixed opinions on the direction that should be taken with my set-up and thought to seek the opinions of the professionals on this site. :thumbsup:

Current Set-Up:
Vortech V-2 H.O.
8-Rib Kit w/ 2.75" Upper
Built Shortblock w/ Lower Compression Pistons
Full Exhaust
DiabloSport Tune (Chip)

I've ordered and received an AFM Power Pipe and am at a crossroad regarding going intercooled or not at this point. :shrug:

Would the boost level, with the Texas summer temps, be too much even with a built motor?

Should the intercooler be priority before the AFM Power Pipe is installed causing the boost level to be increased?

I've been told that the intercooler will rob ~50 HP which isn't desirable, but safety and engine longevity is important with the money currently invested.;-)

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated. :beer:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Would it not always be better to run an intercooler?

It seems like the best option, but there is also the fact that you lose boost when you go intercooled resulting in a loss of power. If a car is running fine without being intercooled and with a higher horsepower rating then why spend the cash to go intercooled just to lose the HP?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
boost is a measure of restriction. You won't necessarly lose power with the lose of boost. Most people see gains of 20-30hp with the intercooler..

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
boost is a measure of restriction. You won't necessarly lose power with the lose of boost. Most people see gains of 20-30hp with the intercooler..

That's my opinion exactly, but the loss of boost related to the intercooled set-up was communicated to be a loss of ~50 HP due to the loss of boost pressure resulting in a negative effect. :shrug:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Negative. who have you been talking to that has lost 50hp?? You will gain hp because of the lower IAT's and cooler air. You may lose PSI but not HP. It's the same affect of adding LTs. You lose PSI but you gain some HP.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
^^ Yeah, no way you are gonna lose 50 hp from an intercooler. You might lose 1 or 2 psi, but the colder intake temps are going to let you run more timing and make more power safely. With that small upper pulley, you definitely need some sort of cooling device.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation of the necessity for the intercooler at this point and the power loss related clarifications. The 50 rwhp loss was thought to be a far stretch along with the communication that the intercooler wasn't necessary and/or beneficial at this point. I'm currently looking at a Paxton intercooler set-up to help with the cooling needs as to run a safer configuration.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread