vortech pulley size and psi?

Riskeman

Established Member
I'm piecing together a vortech kit to put on my 96 cobra.

stock original engine
120,000 miles
bbk h pipe with welded in high flow magnaflow cats
magnaflow cat back
imrc delete
plan on running a v2 s trim kit with vortech intake piping
42lb injectors, lmaf, 255 walbro
meth/water injection kit (looking for more safety than extra horsepower)

This car is a DD. I'm looking for advice on what pulley size to run, how much boost I should make, and what horsepower level I should stay under to keep my stock block together and keep it somewhat reliable. I know the 3.6 pulley is the size that comes with the kit. What kind of power should I make with the 3.6? Would I be safe to go with the 3.48? 3.4?....

20stang02

Established Member
I would first do a compression check on each cylinder to make sure the engine is still in good shape. From there, I'd look to run about 10 psi if I were you

Riskeman

Established Member
compression check has allready been done. I forget the exact #'s but all were ok. Any estimations on what pulley size I should run for 10psi? What horsepower would that be?

03bluemach

Established Member
what will the s-trim put out with out over spinning the unit ???.. i hear 17-18- but not sure on that mines making 15 ..but want to push more what pully size would help me do that .. ?? might be time for a t-trim lol

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
im am in the same boat, i will have a s-trim, powerpipe, long tubes, xpipe, intercooler, Shortr runner, Imrc delete, Accufab race throttle body stock internals. What pulley will i need to make 10lbs with that setup? How much power do you think it will make, with 42 lbs injectors tuned on sct x3? I am thinking a 3.33 or 3.25 pulley. Wgat do you guys think???

Furinox

Established Member
im am in the same boat, i will have a s-trim, powerpipe, long tubes, xpipe, intercooler, Shortr runner, Imrc delete, Accufab race throttle body stock internals. What pulley will i need to make 10lbs with that setup? How much power do you think it will make, with 42 lbs injectors tuned on sct x3? I am thinking a 3.33 or 3.25 pulley. Wgat do you guys think???

With 6 rib and a 2.9 pulley through an A/A intercooler my car makes 12 lbs at 6500.

The intercoolers really kill the flow of the vortechs.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I'm piecing together a vortech kit to put on my 96 cobra.

stock original engine
120,000 miles
bbk h pipe with welded in high flow magnaflow cats
magnaflow cat back
imrc delete
plan on running a v2 s trim kit with vortech intake piping
42lb injectors, lmaf, 255 walbro
meth/water injection kit (looking for more safety than extra horsepower)

This car is a DD. I'm looking for advice on what pulley size to run, how much boost I should make, and what horsepower level I should stay under to keep my stock block together and keep it somewhat reliable. I know the 3.6 pulley is the size that comes with the kit. What kind of power should I make with the 3.6? Would I be safe to go with the 3.48? 3.4?....

The stock kit and pulley will give you 8 lbs. If you add a powerpipe you will see 10 lbs with the stock pulley. I would do that. I ran a 3.25" with an IC and saw 12lbs (IC cost me 2 lbs) of boost for 60,000 miles on my stock bottom engine. I also saw 500rwhp. With water/meth injection you can get a bit more aggressive with timing and might see some nice numbers even with 10lbs.

Chris

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
With 6 rib and a 2.9 pulley through an A/A intercooler my car makes 12 lbs at 6500.

The intercoolers really kill the flow of the vortechs.

Hummm.... see my post above. The key for not killing flow is a well flowing IC. Horizontal finned cores cool better but cost more boost. As I said above, I lost about 2 lbs with mine. I did struggle with belt slip as soon as I dropped to a 3.25" pulley. I can only imagine how much you might have with a 2.9". My old core looked very much like the low end Procharger one and it did well but became a cork when I tried to find more boost. At 15lbs I gave up completely and removed my core and just ran a straight pipe where it used to be. I then added water/meth injection.

For 3 years this has been my set up and has run well. Only now am I springing for a new and larger IC. But again, mine will be verticle finned and I am keeping my water/math injection too.

Chris

Last edited:

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
how much power do you project with those mods and a 3.25 or 3.33 pulley? I have the procharger 2 core intercooler rated up to 600 hp.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I made 496 rwhp with almost those exact mods. I also run cats and my IMRCs. I think I was running the 3.33" then. I went down to the 3.25" and fought belt slip so didn't make much more power.

Riskeman

Established Member
It would be nice to have a sticky of combos with pulley size to psi.

I will try the stock pulley size with a boost pipe.

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
I made 496 rwhp with almost those exact mods. I also run cats and my IMRCs. I think I was running the 3.33" then. I went down to the 3.25" and fought belt slip so didn't make much more power.

How much boost did you see with that pulley and those mods. I don't wanna blow my motor just yet since its stock and that seems like a lot of HP for a stock motor.

stang01gt

Established Member
with my strim 3.6 pulley and a procharger 3 core and custom blow thru piping setup from wicked motorsports i barely lost any boost, i still make about 9.5 psi, before i would hit 10 psi. Im pullying down to a 3.33 pulley so we'll see how much boost it'll make.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Yes. It went on with 10,000 miles on the car. It was a daily driver and I put 60,000 more on it with boost and the stock block. 50,000 of those miles were at 12lbs+ of boost. I started tuning myself before any of the current easy stuff was available. I burned chips and owned an expensive wideband. I always watched my tune to make sure it was "safe". This is the key to keeping a stock engine alive with that level of boost.

I rebuilt it when I could tell the engine seemed to be getting tired. I added more boost and it couldn't make more power. I wasn't blowing oil and it still ran well but I was looking forward to the next step. In some respects I wish I had kept the stock block to see just how far I could have kept it going.

After many years tuning my car and many others (used to do it on the side) I am convinced and have proven that these stock engines can handle boost if you are careful about the tune. I have seen that some stock rotating assemblies seem to have flaws and boost can make those appear quickly. If yours has a flaw in the production then it could pop quickly after a blower is added but that seems quite rare. If it makes it past the first few months of a heavy foot then it could live for a long time like mine did.

Mine was a test mule for many tuning tools as they were being developed and many new parts. As such it saw WOT continuously.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread