Vortech installed........But what is this??

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I just got my 96 Cobra back from having a Vortech SQ installed. It runs pretty good but this one thing. It was installed just like Vortech said to, with their chip. Now, if I floor it in first it kind of stalls out. But if I accelerate slow in first it will go all the way to 7000 RPM's just fine. Also, when driving in 2nd and I floor it, it will go to around 6000 RPM's good but then it will act slugish and not gain RPM's.

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by Poiznus
I just got my 96 Cobra back from having a Vortech SQ installed. It runs pretty good but this one thing. It was installed just like Vortech said to, with their chip. Now, if I floor it in first it kind of stalls out. But if I accelerate slow in first it will go all the way to 7000 RPM's just fine. Also, when driving in 2nd and I floor it, it will go to around 6000 RPM's good but then it will act slugish and not gain RPM's.

Can you say "DYNO TUNE" I also have a Vortech and the program they put on the chip just plain SUCKED! Find a reputable tuner and have them run the A/F mixture on it. I'll guarantee that it is running rich from Vortech. Do NOT let the tuner make the A/F mix to lean but get them to even it out at about 11-12 to 1. Hope this helps!

96vert

Established Member
Congratulations on getting the Vortech - I'm sure you're having fun...

First, I have to recommend that you get a dyno-tune before you run it too hard for too long. My stock vortech chip kept way too much timing in it up top, but also made it run WAY rich (it went off the graph, and the bottom of the graph was 10 air/fuel)

After the dyno tune, I don't have any more black smoke coming out of my tailpipes, I have more torque, and more peace of mind knowing that I'm not blowing my engine up when I get on it.

according to your description, I think that you are either experiencing spark blow-out or you are getting too much gas when the FMU hits and raises your fuel pressure. If it is a gas problem, a custom dyno-tune will fix it.

For the spark blow-out:
First, I'd ask the installer if he narrowed the plug gap to the recommended .035. (incidentally, even if he did that, you want to ask him if he went with the lower heat range copper plugs - that's what you want on a blown car - I use Autolite 103's, others use NGK's but make sure they are copper, one heat range colder than stock, and gapped down.)

Next, check your plug wires. If you still have the stock ones, that will contribute to your spark blow-out. If those two things check out ok, then I'd check your coil packs, but I doubt that is the problem.

good luck and let us know how it comes out. E-mail me with further quesitons. (should be in my profile, but it is on my site as well)

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks!!

You guys are great!!

I had the spark plugs and wires changed right before I got the install. However, I know that the guy that installed the plugs put double platnium plugs in it. I do not know where he put the gap. I'm about to go out and install the gauges I orderd right now. I'm still in the process of trying to find someone in Baton Rouge that does dyno tunes, no luck yet. I'm also going to pull a plug and check the gap, if the gap is at .035 then I'm getting the plugs that you have 96vert.

I will keep you guys posted!
Thank you all very much for the replys!:beer:

Wildpony

Established Member
I would go w/regular non-plat. plugs. (Motorcraft AWSF 22-C), change them out at least once a year, and have the A/F set @ under 11:1 . Also make sure the installer put some type of coating over the inline fuel pump's ground wire connenction to the body as I had trouble with this cutting out due to a corroded ground.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
All beter now

Thanks for helping me out with this problem guys!

It has been corrected. I put autolite 103's in at .035 and it fixed the problem right up! The fuel pressure is at 50 when I'm in high RPM's. However, I'm going to install a 255lph real soon. Getting it on the dyno in 2 weeks to see how everything is running. I'm also going to inspect the ground on the pump and put a sealer on it.

Thanks for all the input!!!!:thumbsup:

Also, man that thing really changes the way you drive!!!:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread