Vortech Cobra - 98 Specific Fuel Pump Question

yellow98stang

Established Member
So --- finally got my car finished (decals and compounded/polished/waxed). Took it out yesterday to Injected Engineering for their customer appreciation day and car tried to die on the way there.
20160319_095020_zpsanml8l4a.jpg

20160319_095228_zpskycz7k3j.jpg

I am currently running the factory in tank with the vortech t-rex in line, custom tuned and it runs flawlessly. Was sitting at a light and in the span of about 10 seconds, the pump started humming louder, then intermittent and then died all together. Pump would not prime like usual when turning the key over, nothing. Sat on the side of the road for a while and it eventually primed and turned over and was able to drive it to the shop.
2011-10-23_19-18-16_473_zps011bba68.jpg

What are you guys running in your 98's because they have the variable voltage pumps different than other years right?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

yellow98stang

Established Member
I was going to talk to injected next week and see what they recommend, but would it not be better to go ahead and just ditch the stock in tank for a larger pump, or should it be fine and just replace the in-line? I know the in-line was not priming, but could it be the in-tank failing and not sending fuel to the in-line?

Thanks again,
Dan

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So for me. I'd do it right the first time if money allows.. Get a Behind Bars Racing Cars tank with a big external and call it good. I ran a A-1000 external pump for years without a controller and it held up amazingly. AND it was quite too.

At this point you might as well replace both fuel pumps if you're not looking at building the fuel system to a higher level.. It's not worth it costing you an engine.

.Mark

Established Member
I'm running an A-1000 and it's been on the car for at least a few years (purchased the car with it). No issues, alleged last Dyno was 487whp on a DD. I'm finishing up a few changes on the car then am gonna have it retuned and dynoed for peace of mind.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
You could get an aviator fuel pump. They are a plug n play. Ditch the inline pump. Aviators can support 500rwhp. Not sure how much higher you want to go.

I am currently working on cramming a Walbro 465 pump into my 98 basket. lol

-Mark

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Why not just do a proper fuel system, you're going to run into running the basket dry, unless you drill a ton of holes in it, and then you run into that it's not baffles etc. Just curious.. Is it just to save money or??

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Why not just do a proper fuel system, you're going to run into running the basket dry, unless you drill a ton of holes in it, and then you run into that it's not baffles etc. Just curious.. Is it just to save money or??

Is that question directed to me? Many people I see on the forms overkill the fuel system. Triple pump hat, -10 feed, 80lb inj. to run 650rwhp. Thats over kill IMO. Unless you are over 1200rwhp you don't need 3 pumps and 5/8" garden hose fuel lines.

For me it's more of what is needed to reach a hp and do it as cost effective as possible. So I went with a single 465, holes in my basket, home made baffle, -8 feed, and the stock feed line as the return. This support 650-700rwhp and a hell of a lot cheaper than swapping tanks, fuel neck, hats, etc.

And I don't suffer from sucking the basket dry either. I run between 3/8 - 1/2 tank of gas and my 60's are 1.48-1.51. I'm sure with the baffle I could go into the 1.3's with no issues.

-Mark

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I didn't mean for it to be directed in a bad way at all Mark. I was just curious. I totally agree with you the 3 pump setup is overkill as hell. I like 1 big pump and call it good. I'm glad to hear that you don't have issues with the basket getting dry, and that you managed to build a baffle for the tank too. Seems way easier to be honest that wiring in a ton of pumps, hobb switches etc etc. As the Military saying going.. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) lol.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
All good man. I figured it's less work to just modify my existing tank than to swap everything. And it would be cheaper. And I'm all for the KISS method too!

-Mark

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea when I did my Glenns tank it wasn't meant for a 98 so I had a lot of time spent finding parts to make it fit.. smh.. only to go back to a 98+ tank ahaha.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ Yea they do.. But when I bought mine a very long time ago they didn't.. Most companies make one for the 98's now

Users who are viewing this thread