Vortech bypass valve

NakMan

Established Member
I recently had a Vortech SQ S-trim with Powercooler installed on my '96 Cobra.

The bypass valve is active a lot more than I would have expected. For example, on the freeway cruising in forth gear at 4000rpm, I can hear it fluttering constantly. Applying a lot more throttle causes it to go silent. Closing the throttle causes it to flutter as expected.

I just don't expect it to flutter when I'm at part throttle (at 10 or 20 inches of vacuum).

Do any of you guys with blowers have this? Maybe something's wrong with my bypass.

Thanks!

NakMan

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Well if you are at 4000 RPM's then you are building about 2 - 3 psi. So if you have the throttle only part open it causes the bypass valve to open so that you don't get blow back in the SC. It sounds like it's working how it's supposed to.

NakMan

Established Member
Booyah,

I follow you, but like I said in my question, the boost meter is indicating vacuum.

Does yours do this?

NakMan

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by NakMan
Booyah,

I follow you, but like I said in my question, the boost meter is indicating vacuum.

Does yours do this?

NakMan

That's where boost guages are somewhat deceptive. They measure the pressure that is getting sent into the intake plenum. So if the bypass valve is opening from part throttle(which you should probably sit at 10 vac) then it will read vacuum. Now if you had a guage bunged into the outlet tube for the SC then you would read how much boost you are actually making at that time. But since you only have the throttle part open the valve releases the boost and you would still read 10 vac on the other guage. Hopes this helps.

Now if you are sitting at the same throttle level and the guage keeps reading differently, ie- 10 vac, 1 psi, 10 vac, 20 vac. I would either get the guage checked or you might actually have a problem with the bypass valve. What does it do exactly?

NakMan

Established Member
Booyah,

No, at part throttle, the boost guage reads a steady 20 inches when the bypass is fluttering.

I'll ask again, does yours do this?

NakMan

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
When cruising with only part throttle yes, I read vacuum just like you. I'm surprised you can hear your bypass valve so clearly, do you have a race bypass?

Users who are viewing this thread