Vortech Blower or KB S/C for 94???

KB or Vortech Blower ??

• Total voters

fordcobraman

Venom Powered
Established Member
I have a basically stock 94 Cobra (it has gears, pulleys, exhaust, CAI, TB) Motor has never been opened AT ALL...Stock Block AND Stock Internals! SO, without BREAKING the block or internals...running with safe PSI level ( i am hearing to not run more than 10psi and not exceed 400-450hp with the stock motor) what would be a better purchase....a KB or Vortech?? Which would produce more HP? I like that you don't have to tap into the oil with the KB....I love the way they sound as well....and price is also a little factor to....so what do yall think??? Any one have a KB on their 94 snake?? Help me choose guys!

Last edited:

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
I too am thinking of supercharging. I have been looking hard at kenne bell. It comes with everything you need except for spark plugs. It comes with all the installation parts, the chip with the tune on it. Also you don't have to wrap up the engine to generate boost. I may be corrected on that but from what I have read you will make more low end power with the kenne bell.

94SN95

Established Member
Hey guys I have a Kenne-Bell 2.0 on my 94 GT and I love it I`ll be getting a tune soon I think you will love the instant boost of the TWIN SCREW then the boost from the Vortech.
ejv4w2.jpg
ejv72c.jpg
[/IMG]

94SN95

Established Member
Hey tallboy thanks next year I`m going chrome bullets with 10.5 in the rear. Next month I`ll be getting a tune can`t wait. :pepper:

helluvasnake

Established Member
I am installing a kenne bell 2.2 on my 95 right now. I would definetly go the KB. Vortech I've heard make more powerr in the upper RPM's. The KB has MAX boost at 2500 all the way up to the 5.0's redline (5500?) KB all the way!

Lee

Established Member
If I'd installed it myself I would have gone the KB route. I had a local performance shop do the work and they liked Vortech. There's a lot of pro's and con's for each type of SC. With the KB you're nearly always on the boost and with the Vortech you're not, with the associated heat and gas mileage issues. The KB produces more torque while the Vortech produces more HP. The KB is probably the better street blower and probably easier to install. I've not driven a KB car, but I've really enjoyed my Vortech. I understand that the KB comes on strong at 2000 rpm, whereas my Vortech hits hard at 3000 rpm. I can shift below 3000 rpm and never get into the boost, or I can let it rev and feel the rush. The 5.0 is a torqey motor that lacks top end power, and the 4.6 has top power with not much torque. There is an argument that can be made that the Vortech is better for the 5.0, boosting it's lack of HP at upper rpms, and the KB is better for the 4.6, boosting it's lack of torque down low.

Last edited:

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
I would say do with the vortech becuase if your are going to DD the car you will be able to stay out of the boost when you want to. Intern you will save some gas money and less stress will be inflicted on the motor. But that is if you going to DD. I love my vortech!

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
Lee said:
If I'd installed it myself I would have gone the KB route. I had a local performance shop do the work and they liked Vortech. There's a lot of pro's and con's for each type of SC. With the KB you're nearly always on the boost and with the Vortech you're not, with the associated heat and gas mileage issues. The KB produces more torque while the Vortech produces more HP. The KB is probably the better street blower and probably easier to install. I've not driven a KB car, but I've really enjoyed my Vortech. I understand that the KB comes on strong at 2000 rpm, whereas my Vortech hits hard at 3000 rpm. I can shift below 3000 rpm and never get into the boost, or I can let it rev and feel the rush. The 5.0 is a torqey motor that lacks top end power, and the 4.6 has top power with not much torque. There is an argument that can be made that the Vortech is better for the 5.0, boosting it's lack of HP at upper rpms, and the KB is better for the 4.6, boosting it's lack of torque down low.
Yeah but you could also argue that the Vortech matches the powerband of the 4.6 because it is in full boost were the 4.6 makes all of its power. A 4.6 will never really make much low end power or torque. Plus KB gave the sn95 4.6's the shaft on blowers, they only have a 1.5l.

Lee

Established Member
98(oBra\/ert said:
Yeah but you could also argue that the Vortech matches the powerband of the 4.6 because it is in full boost were the 4.6 makes all of its power. A 4.6 will never really make much low end power or torque. Plus KB gave the sn95 4.6's the shaft on blowers, they only have a 1.5l.

This would only make sense if you want the 4.6 to be even more "peaky" than it already is, which is why a roots type blower does a good job of giving the 4.6 what it lacks; torque. This is why Ford chose a roots, Eaton, blower for the 03/04 Cobras. That said, there are many Vortechs on 4.6 motors and the owners are very happy with the outcome. We can hope that KB will provide the 2.2 for the 4.6 in the near future.

95sn95

Blue Devil!
Established Member
94SN95 said:
Hey guys I have a Kenne-Bell 2.0 on my 94 GT and I love it I`ll be getting a tune soon I think you will love the instant boost of the TWIN SCREW then the boost from the Vortech.

Dude you totally stole my board name :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread